Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - The Waiting Room

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

When is the last time you were on to them oj?

I rang last Monday and was told no background checks were back yet, rang again this morning and was told that they were finishing up on my file and I should hear back in a few days. Thats a little good news but not getting excited just yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Vikings wrote: »
    I rang last Monday and was told no background checks were back yet, rang again this morning and was told that they were finishing up on my file and I should hear back in a few days. Thats a little good news but not getting excited just yet!

Last week.

And I don't want to upset you or anything, but i've been hearing about finishing up my file for a good while now.

Having said that, I do seem to be a bit of an exception here, most of the people's background checks are being done quite swiftly, so hopefully yours won't take long either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

I'm handing in my notice in work today. Can't take any more of it to be honest. If i get in for august, well then they will have got 2 1/2 weeks notice out of 4 which they require...if I dont get in for august, then ill probably just get another job to tide me over for the few months to November..
    Had enough of this place! Haven't been able to concentrate here since applying for GS back in January!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

pvt.joker wrote: »
    I'm handing in my notice in work today. Can't take any more of it to be honest. If i get in for august, well then they will have got 2 1/2 weeks notice out of 4 which they require...if I dont get in for august, then ill probably just get another job to tide me over for the few months to November..
    Had enough of this place! Haven't been able to concentrate here since applying for GS back in January!

Go for it I say. Good luck!
    I know how you feel, not being able to concentrate in work. I've been the same since May! Fingers crossed you get in for Aug. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I did the same. finished up my job 10 days before the may intake. I didn't get may but didn't care. just lived off my savings and enjoyed my summer.

Wish I had some savings to live off :D

Just have 0 interest in work here to be honest, doing my head in coming in every day. Even if I dont get August, it'll give me a month or so to have some time off and relax. Dreading saying it to the manager later on tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Wish I had some savings to live off :D

Just have 0 interest in work here to be honest, doing my head in coming in every day. Even if I dont get August, it'll give me a month or so to have some time off and relax. Dreading saying it to the manager later on tho :D

Good luck with that Kaiser. I don't think you will have any worries though. If the manager starts mouthing off remind him what you will be doing for the next 30 years!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭D22

ojewriej wrote: »
    Having said that, I do seem to be a bit of an exception here, most of the people's background checks are being done quite swiftly, so hopefully yours won't take long either.

I think we are two exceptions....I'm the guy from the start of this thread if anyone wants to see how long I'm waiting aswell. :(

Ah well, work work work untill I get my offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

Evening folks.. posted this up on the 'I'm in' thread before this one...

I can finally take that slow Garda walk outta here :) Got word on thursday. Hang in there those who havn't heard yet...cliched by now but sure as some of ye have said what more can ye do but wait.

Thanks for all the help over the last few months...much appreciated. The best of luck to all of ye still waiting on news.

Take care

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Last week.

And I don't want to upset you or anything, but i've been hearing about finishing up my file for a good while now.

Hope you get good news soon. You deserve it.

Getting a lot of grief off my boss :(
    handed in my notice last week and told him it was either august or november intake.
    He keeps hounding me to defer to november if i get offered august :rolleyes:
    Should have just kept my mouth shut and left without saying a word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

probs would have been best :p

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    probs would have been best :p

Yeah, that's what I get for having a conscience eh? :D
    Hopefully I'll hear something this week so I can shup him up for good :pac:

Ryanair and aerlingus websites are crashing down. All Irish criminals are booking flights out of Ireland. Apparently the word has spread, that ojewriej p.i. got his letter and is supposed to present himself in Templemore on 5th of August.

Mean streets of Dublin will be safe again.

hip hip ****ing hooray.

I actually can't believe it, it didn't hit me yet.

Ryanair and aerlingus websites are crashing down. All Irish criminals are booking flights out of Ireland. Apparently the word has spread, that ojewriej p.i. got his letter and is supposed to present himself in Templemore on 5th of August.

hip hip ****ing hooray.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Brilliant news mate. Delighted for you after all you've been through

• Advertisement

hip hip ****ing hooray.

bout time eh :D

gz man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

hip hip ****ing hooray.

Thats brilliant man, I'm so happy for you!! When did the whole process start for you?? Must feel like years at this stage!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Congrats ojewriej! Great news, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

hip hip ****ing hooray.

Congratulations mate, its worth the wait in the end.... i hope :):):)

hip hip ****ing hooray.

Wahey, CONGRATS delighted for you.

• Advertisement

Getting a lot of grief off my boss :(
    handed in my notice last week and told him it was either august or november intake.
    He keeps hounding me to defer to november if i get offered august :rolleyes:

That's cheeky isn't it? I mean hello asking you to put off the career of your dreams by three months in the current economic climate. :rolleyes: Hope you get that letter real soon. I've a week left to work in my present job feels like it's taking forever to work this months notice but gotta stay professional!

controller wrote: »
    That's cheeky isn't it? I mean hello asking you to put off the career of your dreams by three months in the current economic climate. :rolleyes: Hope you get that letter real soon.

Yeah, not impressed. They seem very eager for me to stay ...he offered me a "small bonus" if i stay till november. No chance!

Yeah, not impressed. They seem very eager for me to stay ...he offered me a "small bonus" if i stay till november. No chance!

Still, must be nice walking away from your job knowing your damn good at it if they are offering you extra to stay.

controller wrote: »
    Still, must be nice walking away from your job knowing your damn good at it if they are offering you extra to stay.

It's more the fact that the rest are incompetent than I'm good at it :D

Thanks to all of you, this site was a great help.

And thanks from my GF as well, because I was able to vent my stress here, I wasn't wrecking her head all the time ;-)

Thats brilliant man, I'm so happy for you!! When did the whole process start for you?? Must feel like years at this stage!!

It was years. I applied in Nov 2005 for the first time, and since then I was in the process pretty much all the time.

Thanks to all of you, this site was a great help.

And thanks from my GF as well, because I was able to vent my stress here, I wasn't wrecking her head all the time ;-)

It was years. I applied in Nov 2005 for the first time, and since then I was in the process pretty much all the time.

Yeah all right OJ all right.
    It's not the flippin oscars :D:D:D
    Congrats

Haz33 wrote: »
    Congrats

Haz33 your so mean but yet so funny. I sensed a Gwennie there for a second!:D It's great news for OJ though, think I wouldn't have a nail left if I had to wait that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Morrosso

hip hip ****ing hooray.

Hey,well done mate. God knows you waited long enough. Real pleased for you. congrats and have a ball down there, you lucky thing...

Haz33 wrote: »
    Congrats

I'd like to thank Jesus....

Is anyone else still waiting on a letter for August now, or am I the only one ? I felt a bit better when oj was still waiting too :p:pac::cool:

• Advertisement

I felt a bit better when oj was still waiting too :p:pac::cool:

He he, I believe you.

When did you ring them last time?

He he, I believe you.

When did you ring them last time?

I havent rang since last wednesday after I did the pct. Don't want to annoy them. Found it strange when he said my checks were still in progress, given that they told me back in late April and also in early June that my checks were clear. I think ill ring again tomorrow if I don't hear anything today.

I havent rang since last wednesday after I did the pct. Don't want to annoy them. Found it strange when he said my checks were still in progress, given that they told me back in late April and also in early June that my checks were clear. I think ill ring again tomorrow if I don't hear anything today.

Yeah, I think you should. No harm anyway, they are well used to poeple ringing.

Is anyone else still waiting on a letter for August now, or am I the only one ? I felt a bit better when oj was still waiting too :p:pac::cool:

Poor joker ;)

sure they can call you up to a few days before cant they with an offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pnugen

Hey there folks,

I did my PCT in March and have been waiting since. was even called back for another meeting with the super to go over some details. the wait is killing me. left my job in London as a teacher a year ago to come home and apply, not been able to get work here since and a year out of work is terrible, i'm sssooooooooooooooo bored. hoping the letter comes each day, it really does become an obsession and is part of your every thought...

pnugen wrote: »
    it really does become an obsession and is part of your every thought...

Very true. Plus, you can't plan anything, holidays etc.

I was waiting for a while as well, but yesterday it finally paid off. And you will too. I found boards a great place to vent a little actually, there is more people here knowing what your'e going through than anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pnugen

I found boards a great place to vent a little actually, there is more people here knowing what your'e going through than anywhere else.

how true this is, I was up at 3am this morning reading these messages, i really had lost all faith in GS until i witnessed everyone else in same boat

so who here is waiting for august call????

pnugen wrote: »
    so who here is waiting for august call????

me anyway, i think a lot of the rest have got the letter/call already! Although I only did my pct last week, but supposedly my checks were clear last may

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Elayne08

Hey guys,

I've only just discovered this boards thing, and its very handy! I too am waiting for the letter/call. i've my PCT done since the 2nd of July so i rang to get an idea of how long i'd be waiting and they told me that my background checks were fully completed since the last time i apllied (which was last year some time) and that they just needed to be updated and signed off by the commissioner. I'm surprised at how many other people are waiting around too. Work is becoming unbearable too, every time i look at my boss i just want to tell him im leaving!!

• Advertisement

Elayne08 wrote: »
    Work is becoming unbearable too, every time i look at my boss i just want to tell him im leaving!!

Ha ha, I know exactly how you feel.

I gave my notice today, and I've got to tell you, it felt as good as I thought it will . Even better actually.

So what I'm saying is, waiting is a pain, but worth it at the end.

Thanks Ojewriej, and congrats! It was interesting reading down through your posts and following your progress!! So what did they tell you in the letter, that ur headin down for the fifth is it?

Hey guys,

I've only just discovered this boards thing, and its very handy! I too am waiting for the letter/call. i've my PCT done since the 2nd of July so i rang to get an idea of how long i'd be waiting and they told me that my background checks were fully completed since the last time i apllied (which was last year some time) and that they just needed to be updated and signed off by the commissioner. I'm surprised at how many other people are waiting around too. Work is becoming unbearable too, every time i look at my boss i just want to tell him im leaving!!

Hey, how do you think your boss will take it? Do you have to give a certain amount of notice?

Thanks Ojewriej, and congrats! It was interesting reading down through your posts and following your progress!! So what did they tell you in the letter, that ur headin down for the fifth is it?

Yeah, basically Be in Templemore on 5th at 2 p.m., and bring 400 Euro with you, that's the gist of it.

Hey, how do you think your boss will take it? Do you have to give a certain amount of notice?
    Well i checked up my contract and it mentions about giving a months notice but to be honest there a pretty sound organisation so it shouldnt be too much hassle. And I've already let one of them know that im waiting to be called so it shouldnt come as a complete shock i dont think!!

Yeah, basically Be in Templemore on 5th at 2 p.m., and bring 400 Euro with you, that's the gist of it.
    Ah thats cool. The money is for the uniform and all that i suppose ya?

• Advertisement

Hey pvt...Waitin on an August call too...PCT done a month ago now...wiatin is a killer aint it!!!
    when did you do the PCT?
    A mate of mine says the backround checks are updated after the PCT incase u've been in trouble at any stage of the application.

PE gear I think

Morrosso wrote: »
    Hey pvt...Waitin on an August call too...PCT done a month ago now...wiatin is a killer aint it!!!
    when did you do the PCT?
    A mate of mine says the backround checks are updated after the PCT incase u've been in trouble at any stage of the application.

That could be it alright, hopefully this update only takes a couple of days though! Were your checks done before your pct?

Did the pct last wednesday.

That could be it alright, hopefully this update only takes a couple of days though! Were your checks done before your pct?

Did the pct last wednesday.

was told before the med that they hadnt been completed...
    that was the only time that they were ever mentioned to me.
    Havnt heard a peep since the PCT. Wouldnt mind ringin them but how many calls do they get per day u know.id say its the same answer they are dishin out to everybody at this stage. :(
    Dying to quit my current job, they have already hired my replacement.Ha ha.

Yes the €400 is for tracksuit, self defense suit and other bits you will need. Everyone needs to bring this except me.
    It seems I have to bring €400 for the first round of drinks. They'll all be sorry when I start borrowing tracksuits I tell ya! :D
    Welcome to boards. Hope you get your letter soon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement