Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Represent!

• 07-05-2008 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Well done to Mary C on her promotion. Do people think it will make any positive difference to Donegal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

not sure tbh, dont know if she will be able to use her position or not to influence decision making that would be the the NW benifit or prehabs use it to highlight any issues in the region, i know that is what local TDs are for, but maybe having some one that high up in office might be an extra influence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

It's great news for Mary and i hope i'm wrong in thinking it will make little difference to Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A hearty Congrats to Mary.

Yes I do think it will benefit Donegal and I would be more than surprised if we didn't see an improvement in the health care end of things particularly cancer care and treatment facilities.

But if Im being honest with myself and everyone else I suspect that her appointment as Tanaiste is "political" in that she is female (obviously) and in close proximity to the border. In relations to the world of politics I would describe myself a "political achiest" and while I admire Mary both as a person and a politician I am not convinced that she was elevated to the post over more deserving or qualified TD's on merit.

There is a reason for her appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Congrats here too.

It's bound to be a help rather than a hindrance that she's in Enterprise and Employment.

I agree that it's political Muffler. Looking at the other ministers I think she's just as deserving as any of the others.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Looking at the other ministers I think she's just as deserving as any of the others.
    Yeah you are indeed correct and I wasnt too clear with my previous post.

She is of course as deserving as the others but I somehow cant see why the new Taoiseach would break with what appears to be a long standing tradition that the Tanaiste would be either a coalition partner or someone from within the ranks who would possess a huge experience at cabinet level.

I just have this feeling that she was not appointed solely based on her experience.

But I wish her well and if all being well I should be meeting with her next Monday at a function where hopefully I can offer my congrats in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

muffler wrote: »
    She is of course as deserving as the others but I somehow cant see why the new Taoiseach would break with what appears to be a long standing tradition that the Tanaiste would be either a coalition partner or someone from within the ranks who would possess a huge experience at cabinet level.

I just have this feeling that she was not appointed solely based on her experience.

She's in the Dail about 25 years though I think only about 5 at senior Ministerial Level. It's hard to believe at times.

I'd say there was political and geographical reasons. He also probably wanted her and Lenihan close to him as they are political allies.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

Its a great time for Donegal! Mary has done a lot for us over the years and it can only get better now!

was at her 'home coming' on the diamond, donegal last night, and must admit, was impressed, wouldn't have heard her speaking that much, or knew much about her before, so was interested to see/hear what she had to say, like i said earlier, hopefully, with her new role and position in the goverment, she can really help donegal and the NW

also thought she gave a good account of her self against enda kenny in the dail on thursday in the absence of biffo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

irish-stew wrote: »
    also thought she gave a good account of her self against enda kenny in the dail on thursday in the absence of biffo

She has tons of charisma all right and is well able to talk. From hearing her on the radio (last year) she has a pretty good sense of humour too and is very witty. I heard her described on the radio this week as someone whos bad language would shock a sailor!

RMDrive wrote: »
    She has tons of charisma all right and is well able to talk. From hearing her on the radio (last year) she has a pretty good sense of humour too and is very witty. I heard her described on the radio this week as someone whos bad language would shock a sailor!

from what i seen last night, and her session in the dail, she is well able, with a bit of the gift of the gab, and quick to remark or reply, during her defence of the goverment against kenny, and when another of the opersition commented that she was wearing her smart shoes compared to the wellingtons she wore when she was in agreculture, she told him she could borrow the designer wellingtons any time

i'm not converted yet, like i said, dont know enough about her, will wait and see if see can delever, hopefully with her quick rise in politics, she has the skill and the knowhow, and obviously the trust in biffo to do the job

as for the language, heard something similar my self

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

from what i seen last night, and her session in the dail, she is well able, with a bit of the gift of the gab, and quick to remark or reply, during her defence of the goverment against kenny, and when another of the opersition commented that she was wearing her smart shoes compared to the wellingtons she wore when she was in agreculture, she told him she could borrow the designer wellingtons any time

i'm not converted yet, like i said, dont know enough about her, will wait and see if see can delever, hopefully with her quick rise in politics, she has the skill and the knowhow, and obviously the trust in biffo to do the job

as for the language, heard something similar my self
    I think it is a proud day for all of us in Donegal, whatever party we are from - saw all the activities, bonfires - actually a comment was made about what their partners in goverment would make of all the bonfires and also fireworks! There was a big crowd gathered everywhere and I do hope she can make things better for us in the North West - healthwise as well as job wise!

One of the mistakes I think Brian Cowen made was keeping Mary Harney in the cabinet! Do you notice also the Brian has all Mary's around him - Mary C, Mary Harney, Mary Hanafin (don't think she is very happy - would like to know what she did to step on his toes!), and his wife Mary Cowen! He still has a few more Mary's to call on if things don't work out.....

Anyway I am delighted that we have the second highest in government office from Inver and hope she will DO THE BUSINESS for us in the Dáil! As for the language - although at time she does make the air blue it is usually deserved by the person who riles her, I have talked to her on numerous occasions and have never heard a swear word from her, though I have heard others receiving them but usually they have made a comment that deserves such a response from her!

She is a nice, genuine person who at times I feel was restrained from giving her opinion on the health issues up here in Donegal but now I think she will have received the confidence to fight tooth and nail for us - at least I hope so! Her own father suffered with cancer and I do think in her heart and soul she knows that what is happening in the health system is not correct - Galway is too far away for us and also they already have problems with beds, A&E etc so how can they also be a 'Centre of Excellence' when nothing is in place to cope with the extra demand on the services in Galway? What needs to happen is these hospitals need to be built all over the country - not four in Dublin and THEN AND ONLY THEN move services to them!

The situation at the moment with the nearest centre for us in Galway is not good enough, that is why I think Mary Harney should be kicked out on her f*t ass! Money is supposed to be scarce but our health is important and should be up at the top of the priority list! We may have been the forgotten county but now hopefully we will again be remembered and receive what we richly deserve as our basic human right - an equal and fair health system!

We may have been the forgotten county but now hopefully we will again be remembered and receive what we richly deserve as our basic human right - an equal and fair health system!

mary said some thing similar last, the forgotten county part any way, like your comments on the state of the health service though, but for all our strong feelings on it, and there are many, hopefully she can also bring other benifits to our region, not just health but business development, employment, infracture, etc, etc, in her various govement roles, local elected TD, minister for trade interprise and employment, and Tánaiste.

mary said some thing similar last, the forgotten county part any way, like your comments on the state of the health service though, but for all our strong feelings on it, and there are many, hopefully she can also bring other benifits to our region, not just health but business development, employment, infracture, etc, etc, in her various govement roles, local elected TD, minister for trade interprise and employment, and Tánaiste.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, we need some serious investment in our business development, road infrastructure, even some other form of transport like rail with the price of oil seeming to be hitting the roof - hear it could even go up to €2 per litre! We need wind power, solar energy incentives of some type, encouragement to entrepreneurs to start up business and therefore create jobs - we NEED ACTION NOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

As long as she doesn't drunkenly drive the wrong way on a motorway, she'll be fine. :D

smashey wrote: »
    As long as she doesn't drunkenly drive the wrong way on a motorway, she'll be fine. :D
    She doesn't drink AFAIK and in any event she has a full time driver ;)

Now the busy woman that she is prevented her for turning up for a sod turning ceremony earlier today. We just had to drink away without her :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

RMDrive wrote: »
    Well done to Mary C on her promotion. Do people think it will make any positive difference to Donegal?

No.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

Jabby wrote: »
    No.

Your obviously not a Coughlan supporter! It is a bit harsh and negative to just say that. Mary has done a lot for the people of Donegal throughout the years.

Just in my local area alone, she has pushed for many great schemes to benefit the community, we have a new Multi Purpose centre with great community facilaties because of her, she has pushed for new bridges in the area (some of which are built already) and she has got funding through applications upon applications for better sewage works etc.

To say "No" is just childish to be honest - go to the local AGM meetings (you don't have to be a member of Fianna Fáil) and tell her/Pat the Cope what your community wants and needs. At each AGM, she and/or Pat will be there.

Give Mary a chance to get more employment etc in Donegal - she hasn't let us down yet and she won't in the future. She has just got the role as Minister for Employment amongst other things.

Plus there is the fact that for the first time in history, she was the first Minister for Agriculture that the majority of farmers liked and didn't complain about (I say 'most' just in case you should be a disatisfied farmer!). How can I say that? I have seen the support they show for her first hand - even farmers that have been traditionally Fine Gael supporters!

There - thats my rant over!:D

brolly wrote: »
    Your obviously not a Coughlan supporter! It is a bit harsh and negative to just say that. Mary has done a lot for the people of Donegal throughout the years.

Just in my local area alone, she has pushed for many great schemes to benefit the community, we have a new Multi Purpose centre with great community facilaties because of her, she has pushed for new bridges in the area (some of which are built already) and she has got funding through applications upon applications for better sewage works etc.

To say "No" is just childish to be honest - go to the local AGM meetings (you don't have to be a member of Fianna Fáil) and tell her/Pat the Cope what your community wants and needs. At each AGM, she and/or Pat will be there.

Give Mary a chance to get more employment etc in Donegal - she hasn't let us down yet and she won't in the future. She has just got the role as Minister for Employment amongst other things.

Plus there is the fact that for the first time in history, she was the first Minister for Agriculture that the majority of farmers liked and didn't complain about (I say 'most' just in case you should be a disatisfied farmer!). How can I say that? I have seen the support they show for her first hand - even farmers that have been traditionally Fine Gael supporters!

There - thats my rant over!:D

Its not childish and No, I'm not a farmer. It's just that I wouldn't go getting my hopes up now if I were ye in Donegal. We thought it would be great when McSharry got the same gig in Sligo. We thought we would be the chosen ones. It doesn't work like that. Just because she is now Tanaiste that doesn't mean that she will be favoring you guys in Donegal over the rest of us. if she did, then she wouldn't be doing her job fairly now would she?

And as for all the great things she does for you up there. My God, What is she there for? It's expected that she and the Cope should attend AGM's. That's their job, it's politics and they are well paid for it...like the rest of them.

As for the main non political issue of the moment....We will see how she reacts when its confirmed (and I hope not) that there will be no centre of excellence in the north west. Will ye be clapping her on the back then my friend? There isn't one brave politician in these parts who will stand up to these bureaucratic bullies.

That said, She may well surprise me and I do wish her well.

As for the main non political issue of the moment....We will see how she reacts when its confirmed (and I hope not) that there will be no centre of excellence in the north west. Will ye be clapping her on the back then my friend?
    Is this a sports centre of excellence you are referring to?

Is this a sports centre of excellence you are referring to?

Ha Ha , very funny.... a medical centre of excellence is what I meant. Now, could I have a more serious opinion please.

• Advertisement

Ha Ha , very funny.... a medical centre of excellence is what I meant. Now, could I have a more serious opinion please.
    No I was being serious. The Tanaiste was to turn the old sod yesterday at the site of the new Finn Harps stadium but due to work commitment she was unable to be there and Pat the Cope did the necessary.

The site is beside the Finn Valley Athletic Club and works are also "supposed" to start early next year on the new swimming pool which will be located on the same site. Speech after speech from all the invited guests yesterday referred to the overall site being a centre of excellence for sports for the county and the North West in general.

smashey wrote: »
    Don't think she needs to worry to much about that now - she has a personal driver doesn't she, though I can see your humour in it, ha, ha?

Its not childish and No, I'm not a farmer. It's just that I wouldn't go getting my hopes up now if I were ye in Donegal. We thought it would be great when McSharry got the same gig in Sligo. We thought we would be the chosen ones. It doesn't work like that. Just because she is now Tanaiste that doesn't mean that she will be favoring you guys in Donegal over the rest of us. if she did, then she wouldn't be doing her job fairly now would she?

And as for all the great things she does for you up there. My God, What is she there for? It's expected that she and the Cope should attend AGM's. That's their job, it's politics and they are well paid for it...like the rest of them.

As for the main non political issue of the moment....We will see how she reacts when its confirmed (and I hope not) that there will be no centre of excellence in the north west. Will ye be clapping her on the back then my friend? There isn't one brave politician in these parts who will stand up to these bureaucratic bullies.

That said, She may well surprise me and I do wish her well.
    Of course she will favour us, what have all in Donegal put her there for? It would obviously be great is we got a centre of excellence in Letterkenny but at the moment it is a satellite link so we are not too bad! It is worse for anyone who is going to Sligo who now have to travel to Galway, find a parking place - not easy, get treatment (trying to trod through all the waiting lists, THEN GET A BED, fat chance with all the problems they have in A&E!) and struggle to return home again on roads that are full of roadworks - not easy when you are already very weak and ill!

There is supposed to be a private hospital built - it has already started as far as I know that will have all the facilities available to public and private patients in Letterkenny, I will believe it when I see it - private usually means private, but worse of all it is being built on public ground as far as I am aware - which is completely wrong, I think!

To get back the Mary, she attends meetings, AGM'S and so on...but also is a very good attender of wakes and funerals in the Donegal area, she can name people mostly by their first name and is very laid back and approachable - that is what I have found about her! Now that she is in an office that has some influence I do think she will try her best to highlight Donegal and I can see no problem in that? This is what all politicians do - try to look after their own, the people who are keeping them in office! I don't think that is unfair to other counties at all I just think it is JUSTICE for us now!

Yeah you are indeed correct and I wasnt too clear with my previous post.

I should be meeting with her next Monday at a function where hopefully I can offer my congrats in person.

Will you do me a favour Muffler? Will you also use this opportunity to ask the good Tanaiste at the function if she and her local FF colleagues still intend to vote against retaining cancer services in Sligo at the Dail session on Wednesday?

If this were a political issue, then I could understand her and her colleagues predicaments, but as I and many more people in the North West feel that it's not a political issue but a moral one, then this shouldn't pose a problem for them now should it?

At the end of the day, they are making decisions that directly impact on sick peoples lives. If each one of them sat down over this weekend before the vote and put themselves in the unfortunate cancer victim and their poor families boots, would they still, in all honesty, vote against this ridiculous decision?

Would they not like to see their loved one get the best possible care in their time of need?

If I were there, I would most certainly pose these questions to her.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Mary Coughlan. She seems to be a fine woman. (I actually know her cousin) and there are a lot worse than her around here in Sligo, hiding and skulking away and afraid to face the media all morning.

So, if you can, please ask her and see what she thinks.

Cheers.

Jabby, did you not read my response (#22 above) to one of your earlier posts?

Unfortunately you're about 3 days late with your latest post and as I said earlier she wasnt there in any event.

Jabby, did you not read my response (#22 above) to one of your earlier posts?

Unfortunately you're about 3 days late with your latest post and as I said earlier she wasnt there in any event.

Sorry. Got the dates mixed up. But still pissed off with the whole thing.

Will you do me a favour Muffler? Will you also use this opportunity to ask the good Tanaiste at the function if she and her local FF colleagues still intend to vote against retaining cancer services in Sligo at the Dail session on Wednesday?

If this were a political issue, then I could understand her and her colleagues predicaments, but as I and many more people in the North West feel that it's not a political issue but a moral one, then this shouldn't pose a problem for them now should it?

At the end of the day, they are making decisions that directly impact on sick peoples lives. If each one of them sat down over this weekend before the vote and put themselves in the unfortunate cancer victim and their poor families boots, would they still, in all honesty, vote against this ridiculous decision?

Would they not like to see their loved one get the best possible care in their time of need?

If I were there, I would most certainly pose these questions to her.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Mary Coughlan. She seems to be a fine woman. (I actually know her cousin) and there are a lot worse than her around here in Sligo, hiding and skulking away and afraid to face the media all morning.

So, if you can, please ask her and see what she thinks.

Cheers.
    Don't worry when I see her I will ask these questions, and wait with baited breath to see what happens during the debate and vote when it is on! It is a disgrace the treatment of very sick people up in the North West! I am going to a function next weekend and Mary Coughlan is supposed to be there, if she is I definitely will ask her what is happening and what she intends to do about the situation! Does anyone think there is any relevance to Jimmy Devines TD and Junior Minister in Health moving out of it to Trade and Enterprise and will be working along with Mary?

Wonder is it a good thing or.....

I am going to a function next weekend and Mary Coughlan is supposed to be there, if she is I definitely will ask her what is happening and what she intends to do about the situation! Does anyone think there is any relevance to Jimmy Devines TD and Junior Minister in Health moving out of it to Trade and Enterprise and will be working along with Mary?

Wonder is it a good thing or.....

Fair play to you B.S. That will be interesting. Can't figure out Devins one way or the other. His efforts in my view to date have been abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

hmm i would be of the cynical sort but our company was having trouble with IDA not delivering some documentation an email reply cc'd to mary last week got an instant reply an a further one from mary saying they'd been kicked up the a** and they now know who their boss is heres hoping she can do some good. Ps i wouldn't be a FF or mary supporter

• Advertisement

hmm i would be of the cynical sort but our company was having trouble with IDA not delivering some documentation an email reply cc'd to mary last week got an instant reply an a further one from mary saying they'd been kicked up the a** and they now know who their boss is heres hoping she can do some good. Ps i wouldn't be a FF or mary supporter
    I wouldn't be a FF supporter either but like Mary Coughlan all the same, I would probably be referred to as being one of those 'floating votes' and just listen to all the arguements and then make up my mind as to who I think will deliver on the promises they ALL make!

I have found Mary to be honest, above board and will try to do what she can to help in any unfortunate situations people find themselves in! She calls a spade a spade and sometimes people don't like that preferring a more subtle approach - I think that if she says she will try to do something she will try her best but that still doesn't mean the outcome will be what we want or need!

I just hope she can do something about the healthcare issues up in the North West and give us a Centre of Excellence either in Sligo or Letterkenny - it is so stressful for these people to have to travel so far with the expense of staying away from home, missing their families and maybe having young children to care for - not even to mention the monetary side of it where they have loss of income, expense of getting somewhere to stay and also the expense of feeding, laundry and so on for themselves while so far away from home!

Then there are four 'Centres of Excellence' proposed for Dublin - how can that make any sense?

Advertisement