Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best wcw pay per views

• 07-05-2008 9:14pm

Hi guys im looking at the moment to buy old wcw ppvs and i just want to know what ones should i go for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 JXP99

As I recall WCW Uncensored 1999 was good (Hogan vs Flair)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Halloween Havoc 1997 Rey Misterio Junior vs Eddie Guerrero ----Classy Stuff..Should get it just for this match

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Always liked Souled Out 97.....Eddy vs Syxx in a ladder match..nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

Didnt think WCW made any...OUCH! But seriously I have never seen any (Thank God) so I cannot judge.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

bash at the beach 96
    starrcade 97
    haloween havoc 98 and 99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think WCW had arguably their best PPV year in 1998 even though ironically enough that was the year the WWE started their fightback. From that year I'd recommend the following PPVs...

Superbrawl VIII
    Uncensored
    Spring Stampede
    Halloween Havoc
    Slamboree
    Souled out (This is the one famous for Nash f*cking up Giant/Big Show's neck with a botched powerbomb but it features some great match-ups and a high flying opener)

Personally though I'm more of a fan of WCW's era from around the late eighties/early nineties and I try to collect as much on that era as possible. I find though that I don't enjoy the PPVs that much. Of that era I'd recommend...

Starrcade 1990
    Fall Brawl 1993 (Features The Shockmaster! :eek:Thankfully also features Rick Rude vs Ric Flair)
    Great American Bash - 1990 (I just love the main event of this match. Sting vs Ric Flair with Jim Ross on commentary. Can't get much better than that, and at the end Sting does an interview paying tribute to Flair which I believe may have been in a break of character because it's heartfelt. Seek out this one if you've no interest in the PPV itself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I think WCW had arguably their best PPV year in 1998 even though ironically enough that was the year the WWE started their fightback. From that year I'd recommend the following PPVs...

Superbrawl VIII
    Uncensored
    Spring Stampede
    Halloween Havoc
    Slamboree
    Souled out (This is the one famous for Nash f*cking up Giant/Big Show's neck with a botched powerbomb but it features some great match-ups and a high flying opener)

Personally though I'm more of a fan of WCW's era from around the late eighties/early nineties and I try to collect as much on that era as possible. I find though that I don't enjoy the PPVs that much. Of that era I'd recommend...

Starrcade 1990
    Fall Brawl 1993 (Features The Shockmaster! :eek:Thankfully also features Rick Rude vs Ric Flair)
    Great American Bash - 1990 (I just love the main event of this match. Sting vs Ric Flair with Jim Ross on commentary. Can't get much better than that, and at the end Sting does an interview paying tribute to Flair which I believe may have been in a break of character because it's heartfelt. Seek out this one if you've no interest in the PPV itself)

What this man said. You can't really go wrong with some of the early Starrcades. Also, Starrcade 97 was crap. Hogan-Sting was a huge letdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

In no particular order

Spring Stampede 94
    Wrestlewar 92
    Souled Out 97
    Great American Bash 87
    Bash At The Beach 1994

I also think MNG might have been a little high when he recommended Slamboree 98, that was a horrible PPV save for the Jericho invitational battle royal for the cruiserweights, but the rest was bloody garbage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I also think MNG might have been a little high when he recommended Slamboree 98, that was a horrible PPV save for the Jericho invitational battle royal for the cruiserweights, but the rest was bloody garbage!

I wouldn't say it was garbage. The invitational battle royale was a lot of fun and the Malenko/Jericho bit afterwards was brilliant with a huge crowd reaction. It had a Finlay/Benoit opener, an Eddie Guerrero/Ultimo Dragon match and a Bret/Savage bout. I do think there was a lot of nonsense on the PPV alright but if you're a fan of the above then you'd like the spectacle.

the videos ive been thinking of getting are:

Bash at the beach 94
    Starrcade 97 (More so just to have in the collection and less so for quality)
    Uncensored 98
    World war 3 98
    Bash ath the beach 98
    Halloween havoc 98

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Don't bother with the World War 3's, seriously! As appealing as a 60 man battle royal might sound, it's displayed on 3 tiny screens on your TV and you can't see a hell of a lot. If you really do feel compelled to get a world war 3 PPV, then get 96.

If you're gonna get a Bash At The Beach, get 96 for obvious reasons, Also Mysterio could do no wrong in 1996 either, Hog Wild 96 also has an awesome Benoit v Malenko and Ultimo Dragon vs Rey Mysterio.
    MrNiceGuy wrote:
    It had a Finlay/Benoit opener, an Eddie Guerrero/Ultimo Dragon match and a Bret/Savage bout

Most of which had been done to death before that PPV and Bret v Savage was a shadow of what they were doing in 87-88 against each other, which just made it miserable to watch in comparison. They did exactly same with Hogan v Warrior that same year, two people who had an amazing match in 90, sucked the meat missile 8 years later. One of Bischoff's ultimate failings in that company was his lack of understanding that you can't recapture lightning in a bottle.

Something that Vince is currently finding out now.
    VR!

Advertisement