Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying sod

Options
  • 07-05-2008 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to lay down some sod. I think “sod” is the correct term, roll out turf maybe. Anyway, The area has to be raised a total of 8 inches and I have no idea what to fill it with. I am getting topsoil in so was going to use that. The problem is I would expect it to settle and sink somewhat. Should I overfill, if so by how much or use something else to fill?

Anyone any good contacts for buying sod in the kildare area? I am also looking to buy some coloured pebbles.

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Is there a b&q near you? I know they have an offer on sods at the moment. €3.58 per roll. They should be able to sort you out for your pebbles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Factor in 15-20% settlement. Use two grades lower grade good mix of semi screened (some pebble) and top 4"-6" screened topsoil. Roll between grades to ensure reasonable compaction.

Gary Flood Landscaping (Clonroche, Wexford) deliver and provide excellent quality turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Great, thanks for the info.

Any idea how much top soil I will need to fill an area 13ft x 20ft x 8 inches deep?

I am sure i will be back with loads of basic questions over the next few days :)

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Great, thanks for the info.

Any idea how much top soil I will need to fill an area 13ft x 20ft x 8 inches deep?

I am sure i will be back with loads of basic questions over the next few days :)

cheers

I'd reckon 5-6 ton (with very little to spare).

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Another question if I may. Part of the area I want to cover with sod is in grass already. The area is level but the existing grass is coarse and patchy. What is the best way to go about this? Something like roundup to kill the grass then lay the sod over it or remove the old sod and fill back up with soil maybe.

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Roundup....hmmm, I'd avoid it if possible. Turn the existing grass upside down and fill and cover with the new stuff.

It's been very dry recently so make sure, make sure you water it in well. Even if it's going to rain or it rains heavily, make sure you water it daily a good decent soak for a couple of weeks, so, nearly till the end of this month if you're about to do it.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread.

I have a back yard which is fully paved with patio slabs. I'd like to take up half of the slabs and lay some grass sods.

Could anyone offer me some advice on the following questions?

Is a crowbar the best way to take up the slabs? They don't seem to have any cement or anything between them.

Is there a certain type of grass that is most suitable for laying at this time of year? Where is the best place to buy sods (I'm in Dublin 3) and what tools do I need for laying it?

Any other advice welcomed, thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

sheepo wrote: »
    Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread.

I have a back yard which is fully paved with patio slabs. I'd like to take up half of the slabs and lay some grass sods.

Could anyone offer me some advice on the following questions?

Is a crowbar the best way to take up the slabs? They don't seem to have any cement or anything between them.

Is there a certain type of grass that is most suitable for laying at this time of year? Where is the best place to buy sods (I'm in Dublin 3) and what tools do I need for laying it?

Any other advice welcomed, thanks a million

If you can lift then without breaking them post up on jumbletown and someone will take them for free. A pick axe is handy for lifting them and easier on the back.
    Google summerhill lawns they will deliver to you.

Advertisement