Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Open Source ECommerce

• 07-05-2008 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I ran a search but couldn't find anything.

Can anyone recommend a good ecommerce solution? Ideally, it would be open source but I'd be willing to pay if it was worth it.

I need an easy to use system with online payment processing through paypal. Nothing too complex or feature rich, the easier to modify & extend the better.

I've been looking at Magento and it looks good, but I've never heard of it (unlock OsCommerce).

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciate :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've tried a few.....zen cart is my favourite....

jooomla and virtuemart is another one.....tried it but I don't like it....found the site loading to slow and the whole thing a pain to use.....

go with zen.....there's some nice templates around for the latest version......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I've tried a few.....zen cart is my favourite....

jooomla and virtuemart is another one.....tried it but I don't like it....found the site loading to slow and the whole thing a pain to use.....

go with zen.....there's some nice templates around for the latest version......

Nice one, will look into this. Thanks very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I am patiently awaiting the launch of Cartage.Testing should start soon (Joomla with Zen cart as a component)

My advice is to stay away from VirtueMart.. Unless you are prepared to spend A lot of time experimenting things so they halfway work.

I will never do another Virtuemart cart (sadly I did ONE).. There's many reasons behind my decision.. However, the biggest of them remains the lack of good community support on the VirtueMart forums.

I also found it off putting that the VirtueMart team crucifes anyone who points this shortcoming out. The team and it's followers have repeatedly told me that this is how all open source projects are run.

I have also pointed out the zencart forum and other communities as an example of how wrong they are. VirtueMart is not even a good shopping cart solution.. It is in actuality the ONLY halfway functional e-commerce solution for Joomla which is the only thing IMO which is lending to it's proliferation and popularity amongst Joomla site owners..

So while I wait for Cartage, I have found a cool template contribution here which allows me to make my ZenCart LOOK like it's integrated with Joomla.. It's a cheat, but it's what I will do from now on until Cartage finally gets off the ground (presuming of course that Cartage is a good working solution).

I've used one template integration solution with, and I will be doing the same thing for any others

I have also used custom packages for an offline store which can be integrated with a server for a web based shop which will communnicate with the shop and internet sales and also controls stock levels and this is way above any open source project but the price reflects that. And needs to be determined if your project is worth this outlay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I would second ZenCart - looking forward to Cartage,pity its for joomla though! ;)

Advertisement