Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you written a will?

• 07-05-2008 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭

Just found out today that nearly everyone in my family has a will written.

Has anyone here got one done, I'm considering starting one myself just in case the taxman decides to help himself to my goodies when I'm gone.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I haven't got one!! Sh*t that's something else to add to the 'to do' list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

No way fudge that shiv Im not making a will Im way too young thats too much a step into the whole grown up world I still wanna think im young and hip and down with the cool kids.

Im 26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'm 18 (19 in two weeks)

Still considering it.

I'd like to make sure the people I love get my stuff.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Rob_l wrote: »
    Im 26

I'm 22!!!

Toots85 wrote: »
    I'm 22!!!

Yeah i figured that by the 85 at the end of toots85 thats why i put my age up and your way too young to be even contemplating your demise by going to a solicitor to have a will done:eek:

• Advertisement

I'm 18 (19 in two weeks)

Still considering it.

I suppose it's never too early to make one! At least then you'd know they'd get it, and not the government (although depending on the size of your estate they may get shafted on inheritance tax! :p)

I'm 18 (19 in two weeks)

Still considering it.

:eek::eek:
    Are you depressed about getting older or summit:D:D

ok what ye got that your both worrying about the taxman getting if you kick the bucket?

Yeah i figured that by the 85 at the end of toots85 thats why i put my age up and your way too young to be even contemplating your demise by going to a solicitor to have a will done:eek:

I own property jointly with my partner, we're not married so if I kick the bucket my half will go to my parents. Not that I have any problems with that but it'd just be a whole lot of hassle. Also depending on the value of the property they'll have to pay inheritance tax on their half cos my life cover will pay off my mortgage and the property will be owned outright by my BF and parents.

Edit: I heard there were some sort of DIY Will kits you could get in the post office for like 80? is that true?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No but I will do it soon.

• Advertisement

I don;t have much (savings from work and stuff) but if my assets were to be sold, I know people in my family who could really use the money.

I assure everyone here that I have no plans on going anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I obviously have nothing of value like a house or car or anything but i do have a will written out with personal items i want given to certian people and my funeral arrangements...i change them like every few months though.

He he:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'd make a will but i don't really think i can give them anything real worth it, unless a few forks, a toy army man, some tissue and some lint from my pocket is valuable to them. Then again i could give them my PS3

I own property jointly with my partner, we're not married so if I kick the bucket my half will go to my parents.

im not so sure abut that
    I think the government changed that recently enough I think your partner could claim common law marriage or something like that after living with you and buying ahouse with and all

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I'd make a will but i don't really think i can give them anything real worth it, unless a few forks, a toy army man, some tissue and some lint from my pocket is valuable to them. Then again i could give them my PS3
    if you die there will be fights over that ps3 will or no will :D

I own property jointly with my partner, we're not married so if I kick the bucket my half will go to my parents.

im not so sure abut that
    I think the government changed that recently enough I think your partner could claim common law marriage or something like that after living with you and buying ahouse with and all

Hmmm, must look into that so!
    if you die there will be fights over that ps3 will or no will :D

Deffo, and I wouldn't throw out that lint either! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Havent got around to it yet but I probably will in the next few weeks. Just to make sure my stuff goes to who I want it too. My mother got word she's going to pop her clogs in a short while so she got hers totally sorted and it's made me think about it a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nah I'll do it next week.*

*or the week after, or in a few months, ah I'll do it sometime! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ill do it after the school holidays

• Advertisement

Sure it's time enough when you're dead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

F*ck that i paid for my stuff they better bury it all with me..it's mine!!!!
    well they can sell half my stuff so they can buy me an extra big coffin so the can bury the other half of my stuff with me:D...

Get cremated and then you can have all your stuff with you in a nice little urn!!

You can take it with you.

I think I made a verbal one once. When I was younger. Just before I was climbing a rather tall tree that had a very small amount of branches.

Went along the lines of, "you can have my megadrive if I die"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't own anything so it would be kind of pointless.
    Though my will read "Leave everything to my clone, he's in the lab behind the bookcase. Just press 234527 and look in the fridge. Don't think about not bothering, he has an alarm setting as well."

I think I made a verbal one once. When I was younger. Just before I was climbing a rather tall tree that had a very small amount of branches.

Went along the lines of, "you can have my megadrive if I die"

that's adorable....

Awww:)

Makes me fuzzy inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't think I own anything worth giving to anyone else.

Suppose it would be an idea for someone to pile all my stuff up and set people free on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Don't make a will! People with wills always die! If you make a will you will you will you will you will be sure to die.

Come to think of it, people without wills always die. If you don't make a will you will you will you will be sure to die. Ah, what the feck, we're all doomed.

I made a will so long ago that two of my kids aren't on it! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Meh my Dad's will was made so long ago that five out of six of us weren't born yet. Think he made it in 1984.

that's adorable....

Awww:)

Makes me fuzzy inside.

Come to think of it, I probably had a lot of verbal wills. I tended to do some.. dangerous .. stuff when I was young.

I think that if you have kids you should make a will to include them but then torture them weekly by offering the house/car/other valuable items to each one of them separately.

I know what's in my parents' will because I'm executor (equal share between all children), but my brother gets all worked up when my dad says I'm getting the house.

It's fun.

When you kick the bucket, there will be one million different people fighting over the oral contracts you left behind.

Maybe there will be knives.

When you kick the bucket, there will be one million different people fighting over the oral contracts you left behind.

And monkies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

/sniggers at 'oral contracts'.

Maybe when/if I get to 30/40/sometime...

• Advertisement

That gives me an idea..... I'm going to have a will leaving a list of people who I want to get my stuff, but they all have to fight over it, there could be a league type set up and whoever wins gets the lot! Whoever loses gets cut up good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

How to you even make a will? How do they (the people who find you dead?) know you made a will?

I believe my Will will go along the lines of

"F*ck off you stingy c*nts"

random wrote: »
    How to you even make a will? How do they (the people who find you dead?) know you made a will?

Well someone has to witness the will being signed don't they? And then you tell the executors.

Slow coach wrote: »

I made a will so long ago that two of my kids aren't on it! :eek:

Fix that asap.
    I mean it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ModeSkeletor

This is clearly the only post worth reading here.

random wrote: »

Your solictor knows, at least that is how it works on Murder She Wrote.

I think a solicitor takes care of it. At least I hope they do. Oh and the executor of the will, they're the one that organises dividing things up AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ModeSkeletor

Me personally, I am going to leave all my belongings to a family of cats. Meow meeow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

And monkies

I want those monkeys!

I don't think I'd be bother with the whole will thing... I like the idea of people fight over my awesome collection of kinder egg toys when I'm gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

No I own nothing of importance.
    It's kind of liberating.

A Feb 2003 boards.ie account is nothing to be scoffed at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

dunno about belongings, everybody i know/am connected with have fairly decent common sense and would give things out accordingly, ie fishing stuff, musical instruments etc.

however one thing i am certain of and i hope a lot of boardsies do too, i carry a multi-organ donor card always. ive also made sure family know anything in my body that can be donated, then let the medics harvest away. (as long as they make sure im dead)!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I call dibs on your kidneys.

I call dibs on your kidneys.

I'm greedy... I already have 3 kidneys but I supposed I could do with a few more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement