Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you written a will?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I carry a donor card too.

Am considering giving a kidney away sometime soon.

While I know my family would have common sense and would dish out some of my stuff with friends with similar interest, I don't want the taxman to take my savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

While I know my family would have common sense and would dish out some of my stuff with friends with similar interest, I don't want the taxman to take my savings.

that actually is a thought, i do indeed have to meet up with a solicitor this week (for different reasons) i think ill broach the subject with him, good thread btw, esp those posters that havent updated theirs.

incidently, i have been a benefactor once in a will (for about 20 grand i may add), and if it hadnt been for the will, mr taxman would certainly have gotten the bulk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Fix that asap.
    I mean it.

I know. I keep meaning to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not a hope of me making a will now. I'm only 23 for feck sake! Will's are for old people with kids and shit.

All I really own is a car and the missus can have that if I go. The rest are just personal things that will just be put in boxes and stored anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

No.
    Nothing to leave, nobody to leave it to.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Nope, I won't be leaving behind anything of signifigant monetary value anyway.

The family can divide up any useful (xbox, phone) items to whoever they see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

I'm going to do a video will, complete with armchair and roaring fire in the background. I will have a seating chart for where my loved ones will sit so I can point to them directly, just to freak them out. :D

Failing that. i will just put everything in a box.. jewelery, deeds, car keys, boat keys etc and do a massive treasure hunt. Details will be posted on the local church notice board... ready steady go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Our solicitor is encouraging us to write a will soon, considering we've had a lot of sudden deaths in our close family! It would be usual to want to leave everything to our children, but if we were both killed in a car crash, chances are the kids would be with us - where would our worldly goods go then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

kelle wrote: »
    Our solicitor is encouraging us to write a will soon, considering we've had a lot of sudden deaths in our close family! It would be usual to want to leave everything to our children, but if we were both killed in a car crash, chances are the kids would be with us - where would our worldly goods go then?

In that case what does it really matter where everything goes, if that is your worry I would advise only traveling anywhere in pairs or solo so as to limit the chances of ye all being wiped out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've just decided I'm gonna leave everything to Jub-Jub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Fix that asap.
    I mean it.
    Maybe he hates them and doesn't want them having anything, you think of that?

I have to laugh at 16/17/18/19 year olds talking about writing up a will tbh. Chances are your brother will get your Xbox anyway.

rb_ie wrote: »

I have to laugh at 16/16/18/19 year olds talking about writing up a will tbh. Chances are your brother will get your Xbox anyway.

+1
    I think for most people under thirty even considering writing a will is craziness but hey if they want to contemplate their end thats cool me im too busy living life to worry about death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭navin.r.johnson

Bury me with mah munny!

I obviously have nothing of value like a house or car or anything but i do have a will written out with personal items i want given to certian people and my funeral arrangements...i change them like every few months though.
    Um, without a solicitor and witness this "will" (probably written in your school book cover or something) is worth jack shít and your folks will do whatever suits them for your funeral arrangements.

So this is what emo kids do with their time when they're not hanging around the temple bar music centre...

• Advertisement

Rob_l wrote: »
    +1
    I think for most people under thirty even considering writing a will is craziness but hey if they want to contemplate their end thats cool me im too busy living life to worry about death
    Yeah particularly if you're single and still living at home with mammy and daddy.

Slow coach wrote: »
    I know. I keep meaning to do it.

Well stop meaning and get doing, your leaving them open to a world of hurt.

+1

Most people have homes before they are 30. If you own something signifigant you should have a will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

+1

Yep, feck it I have years to get stuff to actually put in a will.

Well stop meaning and get doing, your leaving them open to a world of hurt.

Not really. My partner and I have left all to each other and each will look after the kids, it's just that if we die together then the sh1t will hit the fan. So I won't fly with her alone. Only if we bring the 4 youngest with us. Interesting way of looking at things, don't you think? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not really. My partner and I have left all to each other and each will look after the kids, it's just that if we die together then the sh1t will hit the fan. So I won't fly with her alone. Only if we bring the 4 youngest with us. Interesting way of looking at things, don't you think? :)

My brother just put "children" shortly after he got married. I am also guardian to four kids!! Don't have one myself but writing one at present. All those heretofores and forthwiths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I will request that my boat's be buried with me :D

So i'm gonna need about a 30ft x 20ft hole in teh ground please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Toots85 wrote: »
    Edit: I heard there were some sort of DIY Will kits you could get in the post office for like 80? is that true?
    `

I got mine done by a solicitor for about 80 about 2 years ago, so 80 for a DIY kit seems a bit steep
    im not so sure abut that
    I think the government changed that recently enough I think your partner could claim common law marriage or something like that after living with you and buying ahouse with and all

Think there might still be inheritance tax implication for them if you're not married
    Toots85 wrote: »
    I think a solicitor takes care of it. At least I hope they do. Oh and the executor of the will, they're the one that organises dividing things up AFAIK

How do they know you're dead though? I gave anyone in my will the solicitors details - course if it comes to it, they'll probably have lost them :rolleyes:
    Most people have homes before they are 30. If you own something signifigant you should have a will.

+1. Sodding taxman gets enough as it is.

MOH wrote: »
    `

Think there might still be inheritance tax implication for them if you're not married

Thats a guarantee but writing a will wont change that in any way.
    Getting married does

but thats an even crazier thought than writing a will

If you die without a will it doesn't just get handed over to the taxman, also as if you write a will and a child is not included that doesn't mean they are not entitled to anything they can still pursue it afterwards regardless

Unless of course the second ill fated one dies before they can consider the children. ;)

I just thought from you said that the children from your previous realtionship were provided for but not the new ones.

If you die without a will it doesn't just get handed over to the taxman, also as if you write a will and a child is not included that doesn't mean they are not entitled to anything they can still pursue it afterwards regardless

No it goes to Probate, and then it is equally divided up among your nearest realtions. Mammie and Daddy in your case. There are some different tax free exemptions for different types of relations. But a will can organise things so that the tax man gets less.
    Things changed a few weeks ago....I don't really know how it works now with the tax thing.

Unless of course the second ill fated one dies before they can consider the children. ;)

In essence, this would effectively be the same as dying together.
    I just thought from you said that the children from your previous realtionship were provided for but not the new ones.

Two of the new ones are, two aren't. Gee, we didn't think that another two were going to come along. (It's alright, we found out what was causing it. :D)

Anyway, I am going to update it shortly. I'll report back. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Grand, so ill leave it to the last minute...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No it goes to Probate, and then it is equally divided up among your nearest realtions. Mammie and Daddy in your case. There are some different tax free exemptions for different types of relations. But a will can organise things so that the tax man gets less.
    Things changed a few weeks ago....I don't really know how it works now with the tax thing.

We ended up in probate after my father died. It took 5 months which was fast as in our case the right of succession was clear.
    Succession is to kids first and if none then to parents and if the parents are dead everyone can get in on it, cousins and all and finally if there's no-one then the Dept of Finance.

As for the inheritance tax thing, AFAIK if you are not married you can be liable for inheritance tax. Death duty is payable within a couple of months as well.

This was part of that case taken by the two Canadian women a while back -sorting out the tax implications of long-term non-married couples.
    So the only solution at present is leave it to the kids and hope they don't sell it from under you. ;)

• Advertisement

I want all my assets sold when im dead and a gaudy extravagant funeral that none of my family is allowed attend paid for out it, I'll let the family take a hundred euro's or so for some hambo sambos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Id will all my useless sh*te to the freebie list on adverts!

I'd give the car to my younger brother.

And Id be buried with my 360, HD TV, a multitude of games and DVD's, a power source to get it going and all necessary cables :pac::D

rb_ie wrote: »

Don't you ever get tired of making pointless and infantile remarks?

Advertisement