Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Type of Camera Will I Need For RTW Trip?

• 07-05-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi!

Myself and my girlfriend are planning an Around the World trip for 12 months starting end of January next year (to see details click here). In short, we'll be travelling through Central America (Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica), South America, New Zealand, Australia and South East Asia.

My parents have just told me that they are planning on pooling together with my sister to get me a camera before I go as a xmas present. I just have to pick out the camera.

My dad is a bit of a photography buff and recommends that I get an SLR camera with a lens of 15mm - 45mm range. I'm not too familiar with the technical difference between SLRs and compact digitals (e.g. what would this camera do that this camera wouldn't??)

I'm really looking for a camera that can take amazing pictures of things from the likes of Lake Titicaca in Peru, to a retro car in Cuba to a kangeroo in motion to Sydney Opera House... Not asking for much I know!!! :rolleyes: But I figure, I'm going to be seeing some of the most amazing sights of my life and I really want to capture them as perfectly as possible!

Any help from people in the know is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

If you are not a photographer or into photography as a hobby as you suggest you aren't by stating you don't really know the differences between SLR and compact digital cameras. Then don't worry about cameras. You also don't want to be lugging around something with a big ass lens on it and being paranoid about its security when it gets stowed on a roof or something.

I have a Canon Ixus 800is which i find great and it fits into my jeans pocket. The screen is big and the picture quality is really good. I'm not into photography but i like taking pictures when traveling. I have used lesser quality ones before and the pictures turned out grand.

One tip though. Try use a disposable camera in certain cities where muggings occur and keep your proper camera for more touristy areas. Who wants to rob a disposable camera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I'm also heading on a rtw trip shortly and am considering the panasonic lumix fz18. The friend i'm going with has it and it seems cool.
    18X zoom!
    A lot of the benefits of a dslr but not as complicated and no need to lug extra lens around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

There's no point lugging around an expensive one if you don't know what to do with it. If you took a course or something beforehand then you would have amazing photos. I've been travelling with a few people with those kinds of cameras and their photos are amazing, but I saw them switching lens and things that I wouldn't know how to do if I had the camera.
    The main difference I've noticed is the zoom. They can get closer up and it looks better.
    On the other hand I've seen people travelling with Aldi/Lidl cameras and everything comes out wavey and blue. Like, people have larger foreheards than they really do. So don't go too cheap now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Your camera doesn't take the great shots, you do! It's more to do with having the 'eye' for shots, getting the correct lighting, composition etc. Having an expensive camera won't help you with this! If you're not photographically inclined, just take a decent point and shoot - I recommend the Canon Ixy 10/Ixus 70. Fantastic camera.

Edit: You could have a point and shoot using the above techniques and come out with better shots than someone with a big SLR who doesn't know what to do with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Glowing wrote: »
    Your camera doesn't take the great shots, you do! It's more to do with having the 'eye' for shots, getting the correct lighting, composition etc. Having an expensive camera won't help you with this! If you're not photographically inclined, just take a decent point and shoot - I recommend the Canon Ixy 10/Ixus 70. Fantastic camera.

Edit: You could have a point and shoot using the above techniques and come out with better shots than someone with a big SLR who doesn't know what to do with it!
    I agree, a good Canon Ixus does the job unless you're particularly interested in photographing wildlife from a distance. If so, then a Canon Powershot might be a better option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

cashback wrote: »
    I'm also heading on a rtw trip shortly and am considering the panasonic lumix fz18. The friend i'm going with has it and it seems cool.
    18X zoom!
    A lot of the benefits of a dslr but not as complicated and no need to lug extra lens around.

Was just looking around a few places in Dublin and all seemed to give us the same advice - a "bridge" camera, which is essentially a compact digital camera with all the benefits of a dslr, without the hassle of changing lenses etc.... It was actually the Lumix that we picked out as the best of the bunch too!!!

I'm far from a photography buff, but my dad used to be a professional so I grew up with a lot of the stuff around me... he reckoned I should go for a dslr, but he's thinking purely in terms of photography as opposed to functionality of lugging lenses and a heavy camera around the world!!

I think this Lumix bridge could be the perfect solution - all the functionality of a dslr (with a wider range of lens capability from 25mm to 250mm with 18x zoom and a huge lithium battery!) and it's actually lighter than my girlfriend's tiny sony t9 camera!!!

For the record, I do know the basics of using a dSLR, but to be honest, I think it's a bit much to be lugging around and take care of...

Just want to be sure that my photos of what I expect to be some of the most amazing sights come out as well as is possible...

This is the Panasonic Lumix bridge camera I am thinking about...

It's actually smaller than the picture on that site in real life!!! and it's so light too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

For the record, I do know the basics of using a dSLR, but to be honest, I think it's a bit much to be lugging around and take care of...

Just want to be sure that my photos of what I expect to be some of the most amazing sights come out as well as is possible...

This is the Panasonic Lumix bridge camera I am thinking about...

It's actually smaller than the picture on that site in real life!!! and it's so light too!

Yeah it's quite light and compact. My friend did loads of research before getting it and all the reviews seem to point towards it. He bought it in The Camera Centre at top of Grafton st. Seems to be the cheapest in Dublin at under €400.
    He got the silver so if I get it I want the black. Don't want to be travelling rtw with the exact same and the confusion etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Anyone had any experience using a Panasonic DMC-TZ5 or Ricoh R8? Both cameras seem to offer everything I want and can be had for a similar price so its a bit of a toss up at the moment, with the Panny having the slight edge.

Thanks for the advice! I've decided tha camera that fits my needs most for my travels is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28K http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Cameras/Lumix-Digital-Cameras/model.DMC-FZ28K.O_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection

Your thoughts and advice on the above camera are always appreciated! One thing I'd like to hear from someone who has it, is when taking a video can you zoom in and out while filming? or can you just zoom before you start filming? Not that i'll be making too many videos on it, but it's something that'd annoy me!

• Advertisement

Hey! That's my camera! I absolotely love it, and people are always saying how cool the photos are (and it's not me). Just checked, and you can't zoom while filming.

Hmmm. that might be a factor for me. Although I have a video camcorder too and the camera i use at the mo is my girlfriend's, the sony T9 and that doesn't zoom when filming either...

hmmm. this may require some thought! anything else i should know about it? did you take it travelling with you and is the zoom as good as it makes out on the website?

also, when connecting it to a computer do you require software to load the pics on (i.e. does it use RAW file formats like SLRs do or are they just Jpegs?) - I'm obviously thinking of Internet Cafés in shacks in Cambodia etc!

Is it compact enough to carry around without noticing it?

(sorry for treating you like you designed the camera!!!)

No it's cool! The questions are good because I didn't know what to say about it!
    The photos are JPEG, I have it down to 5mp at the moment so they don't take up too much room on my hard drive.
    I only bought it on month 11 of a 15 month trip, and wasn't moving around for the last few months. The size is a bit of a problem, I've never brought it out on a night out because of that. I have a case with a shoulder strap that I kept across my body so carrying it wasn't too much of a hassle. Plus, even in the poorest place I noticed loads of people were swinging their SLRs around. So this fella wouldn't attract quite as much attention as those.
    The zoom is incredible and that alone makes it worth it. Also night time shots and things like that are great on it. And lots of people had to copy my photos cause their's didn't come out in some situations.

I had a pocket digital for most of the trip, and I'm sorry now I didn't invest in this sooner.
    Also, if your girlfriend is bringing a small camera then I think it'd be good for you to take this. You can lock it in a locker somewhere and take hers if you're going somewhere you dont want to take it, like a jungle. I noticed a lot of people with SLRs also has a pocket digital.
    As for software, nope just plug it in and it'll do it stuff. Uses the cheap SD cards too!
    I bought this camera for about €200, or €250 in Malaysia. So if you're heading that way might be a good idea to get it there.

Advertisement