Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast Food Catchment Area

Options
  • 07-05-2008 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

What do you guys think would be the minimum required population to sustain a franchised fastfood operation? Do the required demographics fall in line with what a regular sole trader fast food joint would require? The area in question has a population of between 5,000 and 7,000. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I presume the competition within that area will factor into the viability of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

the area in question is another huge factor, if its Dalkey your going to be in serious trouble, if its Ballymun you could be doing huge turnover. Poorer/lower working class are the ideal market for fast food / junk food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

There is 4 or 5 other competitors in the same area but none of the in any way unique. The are is neither like dalkey or ballymun, it is a seaside area very much in between the two and has elements of both. Its very middle class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Loads of entrepreneurs have fallen for the "my product is unique" or "my product is highly differentiated compared to my competitors" trap.

I could start selling Amazonian parrots in the morning that are very unique but this does not mean to say that there will be sustainable market demand for them.

Before you waste any money - why not hire a trusted independent franchise consultant who specializes in the food / catering business. (if its a franchise - your catcment area will be just one of the criteria you will need experienced advice on)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

forbesii wrote: »
    There is 4 or 5 other competitors in the same area but none of the in any way unique. The are is neither like dalkey or ballymun, it is a seaside area very much in between the two and has elements of both. Its very middle class.

Bray?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Culchie wrote: »
    Bray?

lol, exactly what I thought, but then i remember the high scumbag population in Bray and the promonade resembling Compton and discounted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

Bray?
    Thats what i thought :)

Bray?

Ha ha! no but I expected people to ask that!

jetsonx wrote: »
    Loads of entrepreneurs have fallen for the "my product is unique" or "my product is highly differentiated compared to my competitors" trap.

I could start selling Amazonian parrots in the morning that are very unique but this does not mean to say that there will be sustainable market demand for them.

Before you waste any money - why not hire a trusted independent franchise consultant who specializes in the food / catering business. (if its a franchise - your catcment area will be just one of the criteria you will need experienced advice on)

I dont think theres anything unique about fast food but I appreciate the advice. Thanks:)

EDIT: By the way do you know any such consultants or could you point me in the general direction?

Advertisement