Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Red light but green turning light

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

If I'm looking at your drawing correctly, there is one of these type of set ups in Maynooth, no one would stop at the reds.

I've gone through them with the guards behind me and nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Isnt it one of the reasons that there would be traffic lights on the other road so that it would cause a break in traffic to allow the OP's road to pull out safely?
    Perfectly legal move by what you describe, as they say around here
    'horse her on' !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Based on the diagram posted, and assuming the road you were coming from was not controlled by lights, I'd say you should not go through the red light. At that point you are on the road that is controlled by the red light. Was there a pedestrian crossing there?

Was there a yellow box in the junction? If so, you should have entered it, stopped before the red light, and waited for it to change.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

esel wrote: »
    Based on the diagram posted, and assuming the road you were coming from was not controlled by lights, I'd say you should not go through the red light. At that point you are on the road that is controlled by the red light. Was there a pedestrian crossing there?

Was there a yellow box in the junction? If so, you should have entered it, stopped before the red light, and waited for it to change.

Wrong

Neilw wrote: »
    Wrong
    Nice rebuttal! Care to explain why you think so?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Neilw wrote: »
    You would go thru the lights that are red as this set of lights is for cars to the left before the junction. The stop line for the red traffic lights is before the junction.

Posted already.

Fair enough. I read the first post again. The OP had a green light. Crazy question really!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

so just explain to me.. whats the only way you can points for red light situations.
    The key to this is the presence of a stop line.

Crossing a stop line when the lights are red is an offence. In the situation you outlined, there was no stop line (for you) before the second set of signals as stop line associated with those signals was set on the road whose traffic they controlled.

BTW, there's a common misconception that you only stop on red The regulations require you to slow down and stop on amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Thank you

i can rest easy now
    Good. Unfortunately some of the rest of us will not be resting easy. It is kind of scary to think that someone can have passed a driving test and then has to come onto an internet bulletin board to ask how red lights work.
    BTW, there's a common misconception that you only stop on red The regulations require you to slow down and stop on amber.
    Baby steps. Let's see if we can get them to stop a red lights before we go for the advanced driving techniques.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 68,876 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres an exception to this you see occasionally - main street in Maynooth is one - where theres both a repeater for the red for the far side of the T, and a seperate red light for you for a pedestrian crossing directly afterwards.... your light is further forward and on the left and the repeaters on the right.

Causes some fun when yours is green and the repeaters red and someone shoots across from the other side!

Blue is direction of travel, green/red dots are the lights, the fun starts when you go around just as its about to go amber, come around to find your light for the pedestrian crossing red, stop and get honked out of it by people that don't know the junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

This thread cracks me up, as do people who stop at red lights on the other side of a junction when turning right, which unfortunately happens all too often.

I saw it a few times on the old red cow roundabout aswell, hilarious. I see it very regularly on the junction in Drumcondra at Fagan's pub there.

I generally just give a wee toot of my horn and drive around them, I've no time for morons really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

If you turn into a lane where the cars are stopped for you as you have a green light but in the process of the turn go through the red light that theyre waiting at, what would be the situation with this?

Also can you only get caught (for a fine etc) going through lights if traffic corps catch you as that situation worries me.

how on earth did u pass ur test

Advertisement