Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW dominates International Engine of the year Awards(again)

Options
  • 07-05-2008 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

They won no less than 6 out of the 12 categories in the competition:eek:.

VAG were a distant second, but miles ahead of everyone else.

Subaru's Boxer Diesel got a mention too(it came third in the 1.8 to 2.0 category and was miles ahead of the turbo engine in the Mitsubishi Evo X not to mention the CTR's i-VTEC lump, and the S2000's unit, which came 4th, 5th and 6th respectively, and it also is the third best new engine) and Toyota had some success with the smaller engines and of course with the Prius, but of course the big story is the continuing domination of BMW, and VAG are still well ahead of everyone bar BMW.

Starting with VAG, the RS6's new 5.2 V10 is the 4th best new engine, while the new 1.4 TFSI 125 bhp is the 6th best new engine. It is also the 2nd best 1.0-1.4 engine

The 140/170 version came 3rd in the Green Engine of the year, while the 125 version was just behind in 4th.The 140/170 continues to be the best 1.0-1.4 money can buy apparently.

Meanwhile the RS6's engine is the 6th best performance engine.

The new 1.8 TFSI engine is the second best 1.4-1.8 according to these people, while the 2.0 TFSI continues as the best 1.8-2.0, though by the absolute skin of it's teeth as we'll see later.

The third best 2.5-3.0 and second best 2.5-3.0 diesel is the 3.0 TDI lump from VAG.

In the 3.0-4.0 category, the 3.6 FSI is the 6th best engine of this type, and the 4.2 V8 is the 5th best over 4.0 engine too.

Since Porsche now is the boss more or less, I might as well include Porsche here too, where they have the second best 3.0-4.0 with the 911 Turbo engine, and the Boxster and Cayman's 2.7 flat 6 is just behind the 3.0 TDI from VAG in the 2.5-3.0 category in 4th place.

The 911's Turbo Motor is also this year's performance engine too.

Needless to say, as the title suggest, BMW staged a tour de force here.

Ironically, a fair few awards that BMW won were at VAG's expense.

BMW's 123d twin sequential turbo diesel is this year's best new engine, beating off even their own 4.0 V8 in the M3 into second place, and Subaru's Boxer Diesel into third as noted above.

Subaru should be very proud of themselves for that achievement, Subaru are new to this diesel thing while BMW have been building diesels for 24 years and still managed third place:eek:!

The 118d is the World Green Car of the Year this year and as befits such a car, it came second in the best Green Engine category(it lost to the not very green Prius).

In the performance engine category, the M5 lost that to the 911/GT2's turbo Motor, but the M5/M6's engine still came second, while the M3's V8 is just behind in third place.

The Prince engine that BMW jointly developed with PSA is still the best 1.4-1.8 engine, and the 123d's engine almost beat VAG's 2.0 TFSI(it lost by 2 points scoring 254), while the new EfficientDynamics 2.5 petrol is the second best 2.0-2.5 engine out there apparently.

Not for the first time, BMW have dominated the 2.5-3.0 engine category, winning no less than 3 of the 6 gongs going.

The 135i, 335i and X6 xDrive35i's engine is still the best 2.5 to 3.0, while yet again the 3.0 twin turbo straight 6 diesel comes second. These 2 engines will also be found in next year's Z4 too, as well as the all new 7 series towards the end of this year.

The new 3.0 straight 6 NA petrol is the 5th best in this category, another engine set for next year's Z4 and 7 series.

The M3's V8 is the best 3.0-4.0 out there and the old M3's 3.2 straight 6 is the 5th best in this section.

The M5 and M6's V10 is still the best engine above 4.0 litres.

And so we move on to the overall International Engine of the Year......

the 135i/335i/X6 xDrive 35i for the second time in a row!

VAG's 140/170 1.4 TSI is second, their 2.0 TFSI is third, the BMW M3's V8 is 4th, the M5/M6's V10 is 5th, the BMW/PSA 1.6 turbo is 6th, Subaru's 2.5 turbo is 7th(that won the best 2.0-2.5) and lastly, the Toyota 1.0 3 cylinder is 8th(unsurprisingly it won the best sub 1.0)

For the full list of awards, and how everyone did, click here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Not that surprising really as BMW (and VAG) have a raft of new engines out. These things go in cycles. Next year Fiat, year after Peugeot etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

VH wrote: »
    Not that surprising really as BMW (and VAG) have a raft of new engines out. These things go in cycles. Next year Fiat, year after Peugeot etc.

Not really in cycles. Look at the results of the last 10 years. There is only one manufacturer that really stands out as an overall winner. Guess who? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

unkel wrote: »
    Not really in cycles. Look at the results of the last 10 years. There is only one manufacturer that really stands out as an overall winner. Guess who? ;)
    +1. Hence why I put the word "again" in;)! BMW have dominated this whole thing for as long as I can remember. VAG usually fare pretty well too though, as do Honda.

Just looked it up. This was the 10th year of the International Engine of the year award. BMW has won it 6 times. Toyota twice and Honda and Mazda once...

Toyota won it for the Prius at least once if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps the Prius won it twice(I certainly can't think of any other powerplant that could have won it for them).

BMW won it this year and last year for the 335i's engine which is now found in the 135i, X6 xDrive35i, 535i for those lucky enough to live in the US/Canada(why can't we have it BMW:mad:?), and will also be found in the X5 xDrive35i(they will be rebranding the X models to copy the X6's xDrive moniker eventually), next generation 7 series(F01/F02) 735i, next year's Z4 and the F10 5 series in 2010, 3 years after the Americans got this engine:(.

They also won it for the E46 M3(twice IIRC), and didn't the M5's V10 win it twice too?

What did Honda win it for? Was it the Civic IMA?

I suppose Mazda got it for the RX-8?

And would all our pro dieselheads here note what fuel won all but one of the awards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

E92 wrote: »
    Toyota won it for the Prius at least once if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps the Prius won it twice(I certainly can't think of any other powerplant that could have won it for them).

BMW won it this year and last year for the 335i's engine which is now found in the 135i, X6 xDrive35i, 535i for those lucky enough to live in the US/Canada(why can't we have it BMW:mad:?), and will also be found in the X5 xDrive35i(they will be rebranding the X models to copy the X6's xDrive moniker eventually), next generation 7 series(F01/F02) 735i, next year's Z4 and the F10 5 series in 2010, 3 years after the Americans got this engine:(.

They also won it for the E46 M3(twice IIRC), and didn't the M5's V10 win it twice too?

What did Honda win it for? Was it the Civic IMA?

I suppose Mazda got it for the RX-8?

And would all our pro dieselheads here note what fuel won all but one of the awards?

The Mazda RX-8's RENESIS Rotary engine won the outright "International Engine of the Year 2003" award, also placing first in two additional categories; "Best New Engine of 2003" and "2.5-litre to 3.0-litre."

With regard to the 123d (or "23d" rather, as im sure it will be available across a wider range of models as opposed to only the 1 series!) - that fully desrved it from all the reports I have read about this engine. It truly is meant to be a fantastic engine all round, although I wouldnt say no to a 335d either!

@E92, I was talking about the outright winner of engine of the year. As C_Breeze correctly posted, Mazda won it in '03 for the 1.3 Wankel RX-8

Toyota won it in '99 for the 1.0 Yaris and in '04 for the 1.5 Prius hybrid. Honda won it in '01 for the 1.0 Insight :D

Yes, which is what my previous post was all about unkel;)!

@C-Breeze, the 123d's engine will soon be found in the 323d(though they already have an engine of that much power in the 3 series, namely the 325d, so either they will upgrade the 325d or this is replacing the 325d), which will be one of the new additions to the facelifted 3 series' lineup which makes it's debut in October. I suppose the new X1 is a candidate for this engine too, and perhaps we'll see it in the X3 too. The 5 series will not be getting this engine(for now at any rate), cars in that category should really have at least 6 cylinders as standard.

Sorry, I was thinking of the Car & Driver Ten Best list, which is cars not engines.
    Yes BMW did well, though its not surprising with all their new engines out this year. The BMW-PSA stuff stands out for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

S2000 engine is almost 10 years old now! Show's how good it is that it still features.
    Still though, wouldn't pay much attention to those awards.
    Also, I think they should only rate engines that came out in the past year, not back date. If you back date, then you have to consider everything. VW had stop-start at traffic lights in a jetta back in the 80's, but it wasn't cool to be green then, so it wasn't a runner. BMW then get praise 20 years later for the same thing plus one or two more add-in's!
    On a side note though, credit to them -they're one of the fewer makers making a real effort with some of their engines recently.

• Advertisement

BMW is one of the few manufacturers to go from 5.0L V10 petrol all the way down to 1.6 diesel. They have engines in every category. I could see Peugeot for example doing better if they had a bigger range.

S2000 doing 5 years straight is impressive alright, though the 3.2 M3 did it for 6! Althought the M3 is bettered again by the Insight at 7 years straight - longer than any other engine! Wow! It might even be longer if they still made it...

The wikipedia article shows everything at a glance.

Advertisement