Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking ram on Gigabyte boards

Options
  • 07-05-2008 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I've encountered a problem that I also had with my last Gigabyte board. I have a DS4l now, did have a ds3p.

Basically, my fsb:ram is linked 3:2. So my Quad is at 2.7Ghz, ram at 800mhz - perfect. The problem arises when I attempt to even make the tiniest overclock on the ram - even going to 810mhz locks up the machine upon boot. I've tried adding a bit more voltage but to no avail.

This also used to happen on my ds3p, and in the end I had to just get 1066mhz ram - problem gone, as I could keep well within the 1066. But it was the same story...go to 1068mhz and boom, crash.

Any advice/light to be shed by Gigabyte owners?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what are your timings. If any of your timings are set to Auto i'd gtfo now ;)

also it would help having your full spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

L31mr0d wrote: »
    what are your timings. If any of your timings are set to Auto i'd gtfo now ;)

also it would help having your full spec.

Double QFT !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

DS4L 650i
    Q6600 (b3)
    8800gts sli
    4gb patriot 800mhz

I've tried using loose timings like 5-5-5-15 and 6-6-6-18, at 1 and 2t, no difference. Obviously all the thermal management stuff is disabled.

I've also tried using linked and sync mode, so the ram runs at anything from 650-700mhz, but now I'm wondering if I'm just hitting a wall at 300fsb because I can't get over that...I was able to get 3.3Ghz on my ds3p ok with this cpu so it's not that.

Just googling now I see one or two people saying they can't get over 300fsb like this guy

thanks for any help, appreciated

Try increasing you MCP voltage

EDIT: Also what other timings do you have? On gigabyte boards pressing ctrl-F1 will unlock the expert options. There is usually more than 6 timings that can be configured. For the time being I'd stick with 6-6-6-18 @ 2T

You'll need to get the recommended timings for:
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)
    Rank Write to Read Delay
    Write to Precharge Delay
    Refresh to ACT Delay
    Read to Precharge Delay

Right I'll try this stuff later. The ctrl+f1 doesn't unlock much, in fact you can't even access memory timings in the normal overclocking options. No idea why they hide them to be honest!! Aside from the timings, there's not much else, usual junk, nvidia gpu ex, spread spectrum, etc. I'll double check it all later though.
    You'll need to get the recommended timings for:
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)
    Rank Write to Read Delay
    Write to Precharge Delay
    Refresh to ACT Delay
    Read to Precharge Delay

I know nothing bout those to be honest, so I did go looking regarding settings, but most guides said to leave them on auto?

thanks so far, I'll look more into it this evening.

• Advertisement

dude I just seen this post here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55858779&postcount=3

That's your problem right there, I doubt you have stable voltages with that PSU, plus you are probably already at its max outage with your current system at stock.

Did you perhaps have this PSU with your last mobo?

EDIT: Also for your RAM timings I'd sign up at the forums linked below and ask for the complete timings for your RAM sticks. If the issue is with your RAM then you'd want to remove the timings as a variable.

http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/index.jsp

No that's the supply I bought for my old machine! Doubt it would even boot my current setup! I have a 700w Jeantech Storm (one of their proper psu's, not those crap generic ones)

thanks for the link, I will do that later...doing some work now on the PC so I can't be constantly rebooting it. :p

would it be possible for you to go into your BIOS and take a few photos of what settings you currently have in place? Specifically your voltages.

Yes no problem, will do it all later...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

I have a 965P-DS3P and have similar issues.
    I've got OCZ Platinum 6400's and I can't get over at all even with loosened timings. Well maybe over by 10 odd MHz but thats all.
    I'll post my settings too if I get a chance and maybe we'll compare.

• Advertisement

Interesting! I'll post them when I have a chance, but got exams etc now, so it'll prob be early next week.

a breakdown or a picture of your voltages would be nice ;)

Advertisement