Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a robins singing voice change

• 07-05-2008 11:09pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm a bit confused cos there's lots of robins around here but in the last week or so most of them are making clicking noises. Up to this they had lovely singing voices, now there is only one or two singers around.

Anyone know whats the story???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Robins are quite seasonal birds and their songs differ depending on what the season is.
    They pretty much sing all year long except for a while in later summer when the moult but they have several different songs and calls all for different purposes some for defending territories and others for getting acquainted:) with others.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

This is very different from a singing, whistleing birdsong. Its just click click click click...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I think it's a warning thing, usually a bit of bobbing going on too. Might be territorial defence... Try to see if there is a competing guy ticking away nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

artieanna wrote: »
    This is very different from a singing, whistleing birdsong. Its just click click click click...

Afaik the clicking is usually a call to its partner telling it to be careful there could be danger around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Clicking is what a robin's alarm call sounds like. It means the bird has spotted potential danger.

When you hear the clicking, have a look around to see if you can spot a magpie in the area.

The magpies would be looking for nests to raid at the moment and they would also be killing the young birds to eat and would easily kill an adult robin.

• Advertisement

I think it's a warning thing, usually a bit of bobbing going on too. Might be territorial defence... Try to see if there is a competing guy ticking away nearby.

I have to say you are the closest of all the answers, because there is always another robin around and they bob their tail up and down (like a dance).

Maybe they are watching the cat....
    Where do robins nest exactly they may have young uns nearby??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

great link thanks kess73

Advertisement