Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predict Trapatonni's starting 11.

• 07-05-2008 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭

Well Lad's,who do ye think will make the team?
    Will Finnan,O'brien & Ireland return?
    Will there be any League of Ireland players?
    How many of the Sunderland squad will make the team?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

can't see Finnan returning and anyways i'm not sure he'll last a full campaign, he seems quite slow coming back to form after his injuries.

Ireland, who knows. i expect him to slip in and out of active service for the next few years, he just doesn't seem to have a decent mentality to cut it. i fully expect him in the next 5 years to end up at a league 1 or championship club showing some of his former promise sporadically, but otherwise just taking the piss.

O'Brein... do we really need him? i'd favour O'Shea ahead of him at this stage. and i doubt he'll come back to just warm the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Invincible wrote: »
    Well Lad's,who do ye think will make the team?

Will Finnan,O'brien & Ireland return?

We cant do without the two Stes, and they met him at least.

O`Brien we can take it or leave it, meh.
    Will there be any League of Ireland players?

Dont think there were any in the 40 odd crowd going on the jolly to Portugal so no.
    How many of the Sunderland squad will make the team?

Andy Reid and....

eh......

Stokes looked like he would this time last year but has done absoloutely FA this season. Victim of his own hype it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Darren Randolph

St. Ledger
    Alex Bruce
    John O'Shea
    Frank Quedrue

Graham Kavanagh
    Richie Partridge
    Thomas Bulter
    Sean Thornton

Lee Trundle
    Roy O'Donavon

imagine it will look something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

John O'Shea
    Frank Quedrue only heard for these two:D
    You sure thats irish team?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wonder will Duff only be a sub for Ireland now? def seems as if Trapatonni really likes Mcgeady and tbh I would not pick Duff at left wing ahead of Aidan atm, so unless one of them is played out of position Duff, argueably along with Robbie Irelands only feared player in recent years might be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

John O'Shea
    Frank Quedrue only heard for these two:D
    You sure thats irish team?

Probably better off...:D, although the Thornton guy was a maestro for a few weeks a couple of years ago...

seriously this i think will be team.

Given
    Kelly(birmingham player of season)
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Kilbane

Andy Reid(Garvan)
    Steven Reid

McGeady
    Ireland
    Duff(Hunt)

Keane(Doyle)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

Given
    Finnan-Dunne-O'Shea-Kilbane
    Ireland-S.Reid
    --Duff
    McGeady
    Doyle-Keane---

Something like that, although I wouldn't play Doyle, and have 5 in midfield moving into 3 in attack when needed (Duff and McGeady).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Given
    Finnan, O'Shea, Dunne, Stephen Kelly (or possibly O'Shea at left back and O'Brien in centre
    Carsley and Andy Reid in front of the back 4 with Carsley the Mascherano and Reid the Xabi Alonso (I dont even support Liverpool)
    Kevin Doyle on the right wing, Ireland attacking midfield, McGeady left wing
    Robbie Keane the lone striker.
    I think he is going to go for a 4-2-3-1 set up to keep possession and to defend like bastards, nicking a goal on the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Darren Randolph

St. Ledger
    Alex Bruce
    John O'Shea
    Frank Quedrue

Graham Kavanagh
    Richie Partridge
    Thomas Bulter
    Sean Thornton

Lee Trundle
    Roy O'Donavon

imagine it will look something like that.

Given that all these players are irish/declared in the case of trundle, am i to take it that Quedrue has declared for Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Given that all these players are irish/declared in the case of trundle, am i to take it that Quedrue has declared for Ireland?

from reading here it seems he thought he was eligible through his granddad but it turned out to be his great-grandad that was irish. i havent heard much about it so i dunno whats true.

http://forum.football.co.uk/post-1504.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The whole Quedrue myth was cleared up about two years ago. He's not, and never was, eligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Given
    Finnan-Dunne-O Shea-Kelly
    S Reid--Carsley
    --Hunt--Ireland--McGeady
    Keane

Subs: A Reid, Duff, Doyle, McShane, Kilbane

With Trap's reputation, I cant see him playing Steven Ireland in the centre of 4-4-2. He offers next to nothing defensively, and his attacking qualities would be undermined. If Ireland doesnt return, I'd lean towards a 4-4-2 with Doyle and Robbie up front.

With Trap's reputation, I cant see him playing Steven Ireland in the centre of 4-4-2. He offers next to nothing defensively, and his attacking qualities would be undermined. If Ireland doesnt return, I'd lean towards a 4-4-2 with Doyle and Robbie up front.

Sorry but that's crap tbh. Have you watched much of Stephen Ireland this season? I'm not talking about the games he's been stuck out on the right wing, I mean the games against United away, Portsmouth and Fulham at home etc when he played in the middle? He was the best player on the park in all three games in large part due to his work rate and abilitiy to track back and tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sorry but that's crap tbh. Have you watched much of Stephen Ireland this season? I'm not talking about the games he's been stuck out on the right wing, I mean the games against United away, Portsmouth and Fulham at home etc when he played in the middle? He was the best player on the park in all three games in large part due to his work rate and abilitiy to track back and tackle.

That's based mainly on his national team appearances and whatever City games I catch over here or on MOTD, where he hasn't offered a lot defensively. I will defer to your judgement on him, but I really cant see Trapattoni casting him as a midfield scrapper in a 4-4-2. He's much more effective playing in a more advanced role, from what I've seen.

That's based mainly on his national team appearances and whatever City games I catch over here or on MOTD, where he hasn't offered a lot defensively. I will defer to your judgement on him, but I really cant see Trapattoni casting him as a midfield scrapper in a 4-4-2. He's much more effective playing in a more advanced role, from what I've seen.

Ah now to be fair there's no way any player should be judged on the 5/10 minute highlights on MOTD. They only show goals and very brief highlights, nothing to do with the workrate of a player over 90 minutes.

Plus Ireland hasn't played international football since he started coming into his own as a City player so all those performances are null and void imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Lads, I've seen the future and Il Trap is going with a Catennacio system (Inter 50's style) with Keane re-inventing himself in a dominating sweeper role and McGeady ploughing ahead on his own upfront ala Ronaldo recently.

Given

Keane (C)
    Finnan -- O'Brien -- Dunne -- Kelly
    S. Ireland - S. Reid - A. Reid - Duff
    McGeady

1-0s galore I tell you! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I dont see Paul Mcshane making the cut, he's been pretty poor for sunderland this year, lacks pace & brains.

Daryl Murphy might get the call..

Given
    Kelly -- O'Brien -- Dunne -- O'Shea
    McGeady - S. Ireland - Carsley - Hunt
    Keane (or Doyle if he gets a kick up the arse and starts working)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

jameshayes wrote: »
    I dont see Paul Mcshane making the cut, he's been pretty poor for sunderland this year, lacks pace & brains.

Daryl Murphy might get the call..

Given
    McGeady - S. Ireland - Carsley - Hunt

Ahh that clever Italian trick of 10 players, the old confusion rtrick, it actually might work after about 10 mins we introduce another player and that will confuse the hell out of our opposition :D

Only messin but You forgot S Reid imo

Given
    S Reid - Carsley
    McGeady - S. Ireland - Hunt
    [/QUOTE]

This seems to be the most favoured side at the mo

hahahaha... i'm actually lol'in!!!

I'm not even going to edit that because its funnier like that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    This seems to be the most favoured side at the mo

one big problem with that. Keane can't play up front on his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Probably better off...:D, although the Thornton guy was a maestro for a few weeks a couple of years ago...

seriously this i think will be team.

Given
    Kelly(birmingham player of season)
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Kilbane

Andy Reid(Garvan)
    Steven Reid

McGeady
    Ireland
    Duff(Hunt)

Keane(Doyle)

Well this sounds normal compraing to first squad you gave:D

one big problem with that. Keane can't play up front on his own.

I think he could with a kick up the arse from Trappers & good service from McGeady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Any post in this thread that doesn't link a proposed selection to preferences displayed during Il Trap's career in terms of general tactics or desired type of player are meaningless.

Advertisement