Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trying to arrange a driving test for a certain date?

Options
  • 08-05-2008 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

My brother is coming back from the UK at the end of the month for a weekend and wants to try get a test arranged for that weekend. He lives in the UK, but wants an Irish licence, as he doesn't plan on sticking there for long.

He applied about a year or two ago, got a date, but there was a bomb scare at the airport on the day so couldn't fly home. We arranged with the driving test company that he'd recieve another date within the next 3 months, but got no new date or correspondance.

With the NCT now dishing out driving tests, i'm wondering would I be able to arrange a test for him that weekend, and how should I go about it?

I just realised that the introduction for driving licence restrictions is June or July, but the reason why he wants a licence so soon is that i'm giving him my motor for a few months over the summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

conZ wrote: »

With the NCT now dishing out driving tests, i'm wondering would I be able to arrange a test for him that weekend, and how should I go about it?

The NCT isn't doing the driving tests I think your confusing them with SGS. The test you had to cancel was it with the RSA or SGS? If it was with the RSA then you've little to no chance of asking for a certain date for your test, I'm not even sure if all the RSA offices do tests at the weekend [thou someone please correct me if I'm wrong]. If you got SGS you can try ringing them but again its slim. With the new laws coming in at the end of june everybody is trying to get their test before that. I know the SGS in kilkenny cancelled over two weeks worth of tests due to the tester being out sick and are now trying to fit them all back in before the end of june.

Are you sure your brother is still in the system - if he was meant to have the test a year or two ago and never heard anything more from the RSA they might have lost his details and removed him from the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Sorry, that's right, not the NCT (uneducated presumption - the SGS testers leave from the NCT office in Ennis).

He would have previously applied with the RSA, and I presume that his application and details were removed after he missed his test the last time (though we did cancel it a day in advance).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

conZ wrote: »
    Sorry, that's right, not the NCT (uneducated presumption - the SGS testers leave from the NCT office in Ennis).

He would have previously applied with the RSA, and I presume that his application and details were removed after he missed his test the last time (though we did cancel it a day in advance).

Yeah they're at the kilkenny NCT as well it can be confusing. If you cancelled the test with only one days advance warning then I'm pretty sure he has to apply and pay all over again. I think you have to give them at least 10 days notice*. I know a bomb scare at an airport is kinda hard to foresee and you can try arguing with them for a new test without having to pay but I don't think your likely to get it by the end of this month.

Also you can't pick to go with SGS you have to apply to the RSA and they randomly out source X number of tests to SGS.

*quick check of the RSA website and:

"If you give at least 10 days notice and have not previously cancelled more than one appointment on foot of this application your test fee will not be forfeited." so he most likely has to apply and pay again.

Advertisement