Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Rage

Options
  • 08-05-2008 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi all,

Was driving tonight and took a right turn into ongoing traffic, I should have waited for the green arrow and nearly collided with a car. It wasn't that close as both of us slowed down. The passenger of the other car rolled down his window and shouted extremely abusive language at me. I took his reg number. Could I report him for abusive language????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

Were you not in the wrong in the first place? It's upsetting but move on, if you had observed the rules correctly then this wouldn't have happened full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

Hi all,

Was driving tonight and took a right turn into ongoing traffic, I should have waited for the green arrow and nearly collided with a car.

Enough said.

IMO not the best time to report someone, neither of you were in the right, but at least you see were you went wrong. and on the other hand, i can see how the other driver got frustrated with the near miss. I say let it go, and drive better.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiderbeast

ramanujan wrote: »
    Enough said.

IMO not the best time to report someone, neither of you were in the right, but at least you see were you went wrong. and on the other hand, i can see how the other driver got frustrated with the near miss. I say let it go, and drive better.

I know you're right and thanks for the comment but this guy was a complete bastard, I bet you he goes through his whole life talking to people in a rude manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I bet you he goes through his whole life talking to people in a rude manner.

Do you spend your whole life driving at on-coming traffic?

Different situations = different reactions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You could probably report him under 'due care and consideration'. He could equally report you for dangerous driving.

Nobody would win, you were wrong to pull out in his path, he was wrong to shout abuse neither party could prove anything.

Move on, lesson learned just be glad nobody was hurt.:)

• Advertisement

jameshayes wrote: »
    Do you spend your whole life driving at on-coming traffic?

Different situations = different reactions.

Oh that's below the belt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

no its not, his reaction wouldn't cause a collision or damage to you, where as your actions would! cop on, driver safer and get over it :rolleyes:

jon1981 wrote: »
    no its not, his reaction wouldn't cause a collision or damage to you, where as your actions would! cop on, driver safer and get over it :rolleyes:

What should be done in that case, should I have of apologised?

no just bloody move on, you done something stupid, he made you aware of it (granted it wasn't the most politely way of doing so) and you drove off, why does something have to be done about it? why can't you let it go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Could I report him for abusive language????

Run home to mammy and tell her the bad man upset you!

Honestly in this day and age get over it. People get pissed off and frustrated all the time on the roads and elsewhere. A couple of "bad" words isn't gonna hurt anyone.

Maybe the guy was in shock at a near miss? People react in different ways. Just one possible ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Maybe get a few driving lessons sounds like you could use a few!
    You should be happy with a bollicking could have been a lot worse had you caused a head on collision!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

What should be done in that case, should I have of apologised?

erm... tough one.... YES?

Unless of course he started shouting at you first and you then pulled out in front of him because of it.

The abusive language was the worst I ever heard, he was evil.

troll...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

roadrage_wideweb__470x305,0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

OP No offense but if you cant obey the simply rules of the road you shoudl be taken off the road , simply as.

If it was me that you nearly hit, trust me I would be shouting abuse at you as well as I am fecking sick to the teeth of poor driving in this country. and I would report you for dangerous driving. Who are you to be playing with other peoples lives and safety to gain an extra couple of minutes.

Just there this morning, two vans and a car pulled out of a petrol station at the same time all heading in the same direction, the two vans nearly took out car already on the road because they pointed in the direction they wanted to go and therefore where using their mirrors to pull out onto the road. I was heading towards them and could see the potential accident, if they had of crashed into that car there was a good possibility that would would have bouched onto my side of the road and taken me out as well.

People use your brains!!!

This attitude of well you made a mistake move on and get over it will lead to a serious accidents and loss of live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

kluivert wrote: »
    OP No offense but if you cant obey the simply rules of the road you should be taken off the road , simply as.

If it was me that you nearly hit, trust me I would be shouting abuse at you as well as I am fecking sick to the teeth of poor driving in this country. and I would report you for dangerous driving.......

People use your brains!!!

This attitude of well you made a mistake move on and get over it will lead to a serious accidents and loss of live.

+1

Somebody had to say it first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Ha, you want to report someone because they shouted at you for making a mistake? Get the fcuking boat mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Sounds like you deserved a mouthfull of abuse.

I agree with the other poster about the appalling levels of driving in this country, especially at junctions and roundabouts.

Indicators seem to be an accessory to most drivers which really does my head in, aswell as not acknowledging the fact that someone has let you out in front of them.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

there was a mistake made...

how on earth does that deserve abuse?

I guess all you drivers here on boards are amazing and never make any sort of mistakes..yeah right.

get a life, lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

ClioV6 wrote: »

I guess all you drivers here on boards are amazing and never make any sort of mistakes..yeah right.

get a life, lads.

Have another look at the OP:
    Was driving tonight and took a right turn into ongoing traffic, I should have waited for the green arrow and nearly collided with a car. It wasn't that close as both of us slowed down. The passenger of the other car rolled down his window and shouted extremely abusive language at me. I took his reg number. Could I report him for abusive language????

From the way he has written it, it suggests he knew exactly what he was doing and 'took a chance' rather than make a mistake.

I know I find it difficult not to get annoyed with people who CLEARLY know they are doing the wrong thing. Most of the time however, they'll play dumb and avoid eye contact with you. It is extremely frustrating. Maybe the driver who shouted out the window had just one too many of those encounters that day.

All blame rests with the OP in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

get a life, lads.

Maybe in future the OP won't be so eager to drive into oncoming traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

get a life, lads.

There is a difference between a geniune mistake and knowing braking the rules.

In this case the OP broke the rules and took a chance not only with their lives but with the lives of the people in the on coming car.

Kill yourself by all means with your stupid igorant driving but dont dare take me with you or any other road user. Do you understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Look. You cant nearly cause an accident and not expect to get abuse. I doubt you will get any sypathy here tbh.

As regards going to the gaurds, I can only imagine them laughing at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

If you had made the first move to apologise , maybe he would have ceased his abuse/language.
    If you make a mistake , apologise first , and then be on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Hi all,

What was the driver's reaction?
    Did he flash the lights/blow the horn/anything ?

As a matter of interest, how did you end up on the passenger's side after turning into traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

The abusive language was the worst I ever heard, he was evil.

He was.....evil? You're being way over-sensitive OP, you were in the wrong and you deserved a bollicking...and you got one, just be thankfull you didn't hit him.
    I pulled out at the wrong time at a roundabout in ongar a few months back, the guy I cut out drove along side me in the bus lane screaming abuse and then shot out ahead of me and stopped his car forcing me to stop in the middle of the road (there were no cars immediatley behind me), he then got out of his car and ran at my car so I kicked into reverse in the middle of the road and went back 50 yards. Then he got in his car and raced off.

That was an inappropriate way to handle it (on his part obviously) but I didn't even think to report him because, thug that he was, I nearly caused a serious accident and I recognised I was in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

get a life, lads.
    No one is saying they are perfect - we have all made mistakes. However, you'd be hard pushed to find people wanting to report a driver/passenger for abusive language when they themselves were at fault and nearly caused a crash. I have been at fault fir near crashes in the past, and got abuse for it - but it was abuse I deserved from driving like an idiot in the first place.

The OP should learn from their 'mistake' and take more care in future.

However, it could be handy to have an idea of what the passenger said - while abuse can be deserved there is a line; maybe what the passenger said really was that bad. still wouldn't report it, buti'd understand a little more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Please please please go to the Gardai with this. God knows they have a tough job, I'm sure they could use a good laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Think thats bad? I once reversed onto a main road out of a local shop. Did it slowly etc, but there was a van obscuring my view, so it was awkward to say the least.

All of a sudden some lad comes flying from behind, screams on the brakes and beeps like his life depended on it. He continued beeping so i just gave him a 2 fingered salute as if to say "You shouldnt be driving that fast". Especially since he had 2 kids in the car.

He got out and proceeded to approach my vehicle. I quickly locked the doors and rolled up the window. He was like an animal roaring. Meanwhile, his car out in the middle of the road.

Thankfully he eventually walked back to his car. Anyone think his actions were a bit excessive. I mean if hed hit my car with his, it would have been him at fault..rear ending me as he would have.

I welcome opinions on this - including those who think i was in the wrong (I dont think so :pac:)

Advertisement