Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Rage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Anyone think his actions were a bit excessive. I mean if hed hit my car with his, it would have been him at fault..rear ending me as he would have.

I welcome opinions on this - including those who think i was in the wrong (I dont think so :pac:)

His actions may have been excessive, but it wouldn't have been his fault ...not totally anyway.

When you are reversing into traffic, it's up to you to make sure you don't inconvenience/endanger anyone.

If you can't see because a van blocked your view, either get someone to direct you out or wait until the van leaves. Don't just blindly inch out into road regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

BJC wrote: »
    He was.....evil? You're being way over-sensitive OP, you were in the wrong and you deserved a bollicking...and you got one, just be thankfull you didn't hit him.
    I pulled out at the wrong time at a roundabout in ongar a few months back, the guy I cut out drove along side me in the bus lane screaming abuse and then shot out ahead of me and stopped his car forcing me to stop in the middle of the road (there were no cars immediatley behind me), he then got out of his car and ran at my car so I kicked into reverse in the middle of the road and went back 50 yards. Then he got in his car and raced off.

That was an inappropriate way to handle it (on his part obviously) but I didn't even think to report him because, thug that he was, I nearly caused a serious accident and I recognised I was in the wrong.

Fair play , but even so mate just to be sure he didnt try that with anyone else , i would have reported him.
    He wasn't getting out to shout at you , that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

peasant wrote: »
    His actions may have been excessive, but it wouldn't have been his fault ...not totally anyway.

When you are reversing into traffic, it's up to you to make sure you don't inconvenience/endanger anyone.

If you can't see because a van blocked your view, either get someone to direct you out or wait until the van leaves. Don't just blindly inch out into road regardless.
    Is it not ilegal to reverse onto a main road?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

I was also under the impression that it is illegal to reverse onto a main road?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

illegal to reverse into main road

to my shame I have to admit that it may very well be here ...not where I got my licence though.

EDIT

naahh ..it couldn't be ...what about all those parking spaces that are marked at 90 degrees (or slightly less) to the road ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Its not only illegal its bloody dangerous.

If someone reversed out like that on me and after getting a good beeping for their stupidity give me the finger id be furious! How stupid can you be if you cant see what you did was wrong in a situation like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Wouldn't have thought that situation is illegal, maybe reversing on to a main road from a smaller road? But the amount of places people need to reverse on to a road from parking spaces is a large number.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

From here
    You must not reverse from a minor road onto a major road as it is unsafe to do so.

Doesn't say it's illegal, but somewhere in the depths o my memory I think it is......

peasant wrote: »
    naahh ..it couldn't be ...what about all those parking spaces that are marked at 90 degrees (or slightly less) to the road ?

Well, technically you're already on the road, just moving into traffic.

Of course, you should reverse into those spots in the first place.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Reversing from a minor road onto a major road is a 1 penalty point offense.

Obviously not applicable to reversing out of a parking space although techincally a shop on a major road shouldn't really have spaces which are perpendicular to it, parallel parking spaces would be ok.

"Failure to obey requirements regarding reversing of vehicles, e.g. reversing from minor road onto main road"
    http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moleyC

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Of course, you should reverse into those spots in the first place.... :D

I don't think you are supposed to reverse into them, because you would be facing into oncoming traffic coming out of it and it would be very awkward to reverse ito also :)

Like these spaces, you see them in small towns with wide market streets.

49572329kt6.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Spar Garycastle Athlone anyone?

Impossible to leave the car park without reversing onto the main road

Spar Garycastle Athlone anyone?

Impossible to leave the car park without reversing onto the main road

Was thinking of the exact same place.... If this is where your thing happened, I can see how !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Regardless of the legality of reversing from a parking space onto a road, the poster here would have been completely in the wrong, as he was entering the main thoroughfare whilst the other driver was already on it, therefore having right of way. Also, he was technically reversing the wrong way down the road.

In 1994 a woman (A) reversed out of a doctors office in Turloughmore, Co. Galway, causing a car heading toward Galway at 60mph (B) to have to swerve around her into the path of an oncoming car, also travelling at 60mph (C). This car was pushed into a car parked opposite the doctord surgery (D).

Car A left the scene before anyone got a chance to get her reg number or identify her properly. She was possible oblivious to the carnage she caused. Car B, a newish VW Vento, was written off, as was car C, a 1988 VW Jetta, which was basically a straight line from the front of the passenger side wheel to the front of the drivers door. Car D needed a couple of new panels. The driver of car C, my mother, was hospitalised, and still has twinges of pain now. Had she been in a car lighter or not as strongly built as the Jetta, she would not be with us today. The driver of car B was held responsible for all of the damages, but wouldn't have been had he actually hit car A rather than avoiding her.

All this because of a fool reversing onto a main road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Think thats bad? I once reversed onto a main road out of a local shop. Did it slowly etc, but there was a van obscuring my view, so it was awkward to say the least.

All of a sudden some lad comes flying from behind, screams on the brakes and beeps like his life depended on it. He continued beeping so i just gave him a 2 fingered salute as if to say "You shouldnt be driving that fast". Especially since he had 2 kids in the car.

He got out and proceeded to approach my vehicle. I quickly locked the doors and rolled up the window. He was like an animal roaring. Meanwhile, his car out in the middle of the road.

Thankfully he eventually walked back to his car. Anyone think his actions were a bit excessive. I mean if hed hit my car with his, it would have been him at fault..rear ending me as he would have.

I welcome opinions on this - including those who think i was in the wrong (I dont think so :pac:)

nope, as above your fully at fault here, and another danger on the roads!
    you reversed your car from a stanstill position onto a road which had right of way, your fault, end of.

lets hope you dont ever have to be involved in an accident to prove yourself wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I know you're right and thanks for the comment but this guy was a complete bastard, I bet you he goes through his whole life talking to people in a rude manner.

I'd have bollocked you out of it as well to be honest.

I'm not exactly proud of the fact, but careless driving is more serious than a few curses at the end of the day. Some people will pull you up on it, some people will let it go.

As for going to the Garda, just start with ..."as I pulled out without warning into oncoming traffic..." See what they say. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭STUBBORNGIRL

well i know for a fact that it says in the rules of the road that you should not under any circumstances join traffic unless it is safe to do so and that you can keep up with the speed on the road! obvioulsy Spiderbeast you couldnt match the speed of the oncoming traffic! you put yourself at danger and you put the people coming towards you at danger! no wonder that guy went mad at you! to be honest i think you may have been asking for it!

REM for future that if yoiu think that there isnt a chance that you can match the speed of the oncoming car then do not risk it!

I have come across some lunatic drivers in my 2 years driving! i have felt like going mad at them and shouting abuse but i didnt (well not out the window at them for sure)

look just write it down to personal experience - a lesson learned and follow the rules of the road!

HAppy and safe motoring!!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

ClioV6 wrote: »
    there was a mistake made...

how on earth does that deserve abuse?

I guess all you drivers here on boards are amazing and never make any sort of mistakes..yeah right.

get a life, lads.

A mistake can be excused until it risks serious damage to one self or ones property.
    If I was on the m50 and swerved while overtaking and took out a few cars on the way, that would be a mistake due to my carelessness just like the OP... but I suppose the judge who sentences me should just get a life....
    hottstuff wrote: »
    Fair play , but even so mate just to be sure he didnt try that with anyone else , i would have reported him.
    He wasn't getting out to shout at you , that's for sure.

You're right there, if his plan was to scare the sh*te out of me, he most definitley succeeded! A new car seat was most definitley in order! I was so shocked by the whole thing the thought of taking his reg never occured to me even if I wanted to report him which in retrospect might have been the best for road-users in general.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

What should you do if a driver is on private property you stop him and he then tells you he is going to run you over. Should that be reported. I was on foot and not in a car he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiderbeast

Tauren wrote: »
    No one is saying they are perfect - we have all made mistakes. However, you'd be hard pushed to find people wanting to report a driver/passenger for abusive language when they themselves were at fault and nearly caused a crash. I have been at fault fir near crashes in the past, and got abuse for it - but it was abuse I deserved from driving like an idiot in the first place.

The OP should learn from their 'mistake' and take more care in future.

However, it could be handy to have an idea of what the passenger said - while abuse can be deserved there is a line; maybe what the passenger said really was that bad. still wouldn't report it, buti'd understand a little more.

First of all I need to clear something up, sorry it wasn't the passenger who shouted abuse, it was the driver and he said "F**K you and your family!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Id say build a bridge and get over it OP. lifes too short etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭smartypants

First of all I need to clear something up, sorry it wasn't the passenger who shouted abuse, it was the driver and he said "F**K you and your family!!!"

i actually took the time out to read this thread and i never laughed so much, man what world are you living in ? i bet you were the kinda guy that ran to teacher or mammy everytime a kid said slagged you. you need to grow up. simple fact is you did something retarded and you got a roasting for it...and deserved too.

I find it terribly hard to believe that is what the driver said.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I find it terribly hard to believe that is what the driver said.

I don't, some people are just d!cks.

Obviously what the OP did was wrong but what annoys me more is people going around beeping and shouting / cursing at people all the time for even the smallest things. Go away and get a fu<king life you twits. All you're doing is getting yourself and the other driver annoyed.

Btw I very rarely get beeped at so that's not the angle I'm coming from, and I do see some bad driving on the roads but I don't become a raving looney because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

If I were you I'd have found that hilarious and had a laugh with friends over it later. "F**K you and your family!"?? That's almost as offensive as "I hope your children grow scales and tails"!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

bman wrote: »

Obviously what the OP did was wrong but what annoys me more is people going around beeping and shouting / cursing at people all the time for even the smallest things. Go away and get a fu<king life you twits. All you're doing is getting yourself and the other driver annoyed.

Btw I very rarely get beeped at so that's not the angle I'm coming from, and I do see some bad driving on the roads but I don't become a raving looney because of it.
    Yes, how dare people get annoyed when some prick almost crashed into them because either a) They are too important to stop at red lights or b) They are too retarded to know they are supposed to stop.

I know there can be some over reaction to small things but what the OP described is not a small thing. IMO it is just short of dragging the offender out of his window and giving him a good beating. Of course I would not do this, but it is a pretty serious action which can and does lead to very nasty incidents.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

bman wrote: »

+1

We all know the standard of driving in Ireland and I for one try (sometimes unsuccesfully) to keep myself in check. Its not worth blowing a gasket over and you should be vigalant enough an in control of your car should one of the situations mentioned occur. A beep of the horn as a warning, and a means of letting the other driver know that what they've done was dangerous, is as far as this should go.

BTW the last guy I gave the finger to was a cop in an undercover lexus GS, took some grovelling to get out of that one :(!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Obviously in this case the OP was in the wrong but I have noticed an awful lot of people who seems to be driving around with their fist hovering over the horn dying for an excuse to use it. A few days ago I had just come through Chapelizod and was going straight on at the junction by the school. A Garda was directing traffic which obviously overrules the lights. Some eejit behind me stands on the horn as soon as the light go green because I didn't move straight away. The Garda was beckoning traffic across my path and had his hand up for me to stop which is why I didn't move. Anyway as soon as the Garda hears the plonker blast the horn, he comes over and gives your man a stern lecture. The guy's face went beetroot red.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi all,

Was driving tonight and took a right turn into ongoing traffic, I should have waited for the green arrow and nearly collided with a car. It wasn't that close as both of us slowed down. The passenger of the other car rolled down his window and shouted extremely abusive language at me. I took his reg number. Could I report him for abusive language????

Chrsit I hope you're a woman, otherwise god help the male race

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

The abusive language was the worst I ever heard, he was evil.

Jeez you haven't been out much, have you? This is from a guy you went about killing remember.....

I've shouted worse at pigeons for crapping on my bonnet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

"F**K you and your family!!!"

Ha ha, actually blew half a mouthful of coffee over my desk when I read that! What a line. This has to be the funniest thread ever.:D

Advertisement