Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RDF and Bebo

• 08-05-2008 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

One thing which has been bugging me for a while-Reserve Defence Forces personel setting up unit bebo webpages. From what I've seen it seems to be one or two low ranking NCOs or privates taking it on themselves to set up a page representative of the unit.

The ones I've come across are unprofessional contain a lot of inappropriate images and references and generally send out a very poor image of the RDF as a whole.

Yes yes, I can hear people claiming they are a valuable recruitment tool but honestly the pages I've come across will only attract the wrong type of recruit that the new RDF needs.

I have come across one unit page where there are comments saying "Who are you" "why did you add me?!" and from what I gather the guy running it is just going around hitting random pages some of which are even in the UK!

Well there's my rant over, I think there should be a clamp down on all of them as they are not giving out the image we need.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

segaBOY wrote: »
    One thing which has been bugging me for a while-Reserve Defence Forces personel setting up unit bebo webpages. From what I've seen it seems to be one or two low ranking NCOs or privates taking it on themselves to set up a page representative of the unit.

The ones I've come across are unprofessional contain a lot of inappropriate images and references and generally send out a very poor image of the RDF as a whole.

Yes yes, I can hear people claiming they are a valuable recruitment tool but honestly the pages I've come across will only attract the wrong type of recruit that the new RDF needs.

I have come across one unit page where there are comments saying "Who are you" "why did you add me?!" and from what I gather the guy running it is just going around hitting random pages some of which are even in the UK!

Well there's my rant over, I think there should be a clamp down on all of them as they are not giving out the image we need.

If you feel strongly about this why are you posting your rant here?.

There are military law's and GOC directives regarding such things as Bebo pages etc, no good ranting at us here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I especially like the some female RDF/bebo users who have there unit emblem or photos of there camp with pink animated sparkles on them, aww, how purdyyyyyy :pac:

Talk about bad taste! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

I think those bebo pages reflect badly on the DF. It's unprofessional, and they should be taken down. If there was an official bebo page of the DF, used as a recruiting tool, then maybe it would be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Pure Cork wrote: »
    I think those bebo pages reflect badly on the DF. It's unprofessional, and they should be taken down. If there was an official bebo page of the DF, used as a recruiting tool, then maybe it would be okay.
    Yeah and that's a big maybe, I don't understand why the DF hasn't cracked down on this. I did hear of a cadet class getting in sh*t because a few of them had pics of themselves on bebo (not 100% on the nature of the pictures)-well if they get hunted down why not the RDF eejits giving all aspects of the DF a bad name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I'd have a few pictures of myself in my uniform on Bebo, the RDF is a huge hobby of mine, is it an issue that I have these photos up? Surely not? I'm not claiming to represent the RDF on the web in any form, its just me serving my country and displaying my hobby so my friends can see what I do the odd weekend.

• Advertisement

astraboy wrote: »
    I'd have a few pictures of myself in my uniform on Bebo, the RDF is a huge hobby of mine, is it an issue that I have these photos up? Surely not? I'm not claiming to represent the RDF on the web in any form, its just me serving my country and displaying my hobby so my friends can see what I do the odd weekend.

As far as I know these photos are ok, it's only if you have photos of tactical exercises etc that would cause problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Yeah and that's a big maybe, I don't understand why the DF hasn't cracked down on this. I did hear of a cadet class getting in sh*t because a few of them had pics of themselves on bebo (not 100% on the nature of the pictures)-well if they get hunted down why not the RDF eejits giving all aspects of the DF a bad name?

Most of the pictures of that cadet class were fairly innocent to be honest. Some of them had a fair few pics of their shenanigans on their holiday to a certain sunny resort though in the same album, which started the trouble apparently!

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Most of the pictures of that cadet class were fairly innocent to be honest. Some of them had a fair few pics of their shenanigans on their holiday to a certain sunny resort though in the same album, which started the trouble apparently!

And a few RDF lads playing practical jokes on eachother in uniform and talkin bout getting pissed is such good PR for the DF :D

Go figure :rolleyes:

Oh just saw a unit page posting on the Copper Face Jacks fan club site-pity guards can't join the RDF :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

the army are so technophobic, if they set up their own offical bebo page it could be a good recruitment tool, however the internet is the tool of the devil, I saw a memo about 2-3 years ago saying that all camera phones were banned from certain dublin barracks, what a lot of c*ck, The brass really have no concept of the world outside of the barracks gates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Iwas nearly going to tell a story that happened in january but I better not

moral of it
    dont put pictures up of you in uniform then go about supporting hamas on bebo

• Advertisement

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    Iwas nearly going to tell a story that happened in january but I better not

moral of it
    dont put pictures up of you in uniform then go about supporting hamas on bebo

Wouldn't suprise me with some of the unit pages i've come across :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Nuttzz wrote: »
    the army are so technophobic, if they set up their own offical bebo page it could be a good recruitment tool, however the internet is the tool of the devil, I saw a memo about 2-3 years ago saying that all camera phones were banned from certain dublin barracks, what a lot of c*ck, The brass really have no concept of the world outside of the barracks gates

There is a very good reason for this. It's OPSEC. Operational Security. Military establishments are secure facilities. Therefore, a camera phone etc is not allowed in case someone decides to take photos of the layout of the facility. eg locations of stores, guard-rooms etc.

I was in Tunisia recently and we were passing an army base and our guide warned us that under no circumstances point anything at it or the consequences would be drastic !

Do you not think that Gardai and army look at Bebo and Boards.ie ? Oh, how niave you really are

Why are you posting on a military thread, you obviously know nothing about the subject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

There is a very good reason for this. It's OPSEC. Operational Security. Military establishments are secure facilities. Therefore, a camera phone etc is not allowed in case someone decides to take photos of the layout of the facility. eg locations of stores, guard-rooms etc.

Do you not think that Gardai and army look at Bebo and Boards.ie ? Oh, how niave you really are

Why are you posting on a military thread, you obviously know nothing about the subject

Ya reckon? Look at ebay and see the irish army uniforms being sold for hundreds of quid
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Irish-Army-issue-DPM-Military-surplus-jacket_W0QQitemZ330233741810QQihZ014QQcategoryZ70988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What do the gardai do? Nothing, look at the amount of uniforms been worn on building sites and at Halloween, what is done? Not a lot is there, what do the army do? Nothing either...

Perhaps when you're next in your barrack you might have a look and see how many people are stopped and have their mobiles taken off them because they are camera phone, I dont think you'll find many. The more sensible thing to say would have been that the camera function on mobile phones are not permitted to be used in barracks, everybody would adhere to this, actually i know that nearly everybody does so at present, except for the new recruits who get their uniform and cant wait to picture themselves and each other in it, which at 17/18 might not be the smartest thing to do but understandable at that age...

"Coz everywan is dooin it!" s=is no reason to break the law nutzz.

I personally do not mind RDF bebo sites.

It's the abusers who cause these laws to be enforced. Everyone else should do all in their power to prevent abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 enda50

My unit recently set up a fairly tasteful bebo page! I do understand there’s a fine line when it comes to information which can be put up on it but it is a good way to let every one in your unit what’s actually going on! Especially when u have cadre who are on their arse and never let u know anything cause it might mean be paperwork, it can be a good channel of information to members, Its also a good place to ask questions which can be answered through private mail. The pictures that go up on it are generally only that of awards orienteering and meeting of dignitaries’ u know **** like that. I know it’s so stupid when u see recruits or even higher ranks, after all the lectures they get on safety, posting pictures of themselves pointing rifles at each other, and that’s where things go pear shaped. It also doesn’t allow people who aren’t in the company to join!
    I do understand the need for security but when it’s well done over all I think it’s a good idea!

enda50 wrote: »
    My unit recently set up a fairly tasteful bebo page! I do understand there’s a fine line when it comes to information which can be put up on it but it is a good way to let every one in your unit what’s actually going on! Especially when u have cadre who are on their arse and never let u know anything cause it might mean be paperwork, it can be a good channel of information to members, Its also a good place to ask questions which can be answered through private mail. The pictures that go up on it are generally only that of awards orienteering and meeting of dignitaries’ u know **** like that. I know it’s so stupid when u see recruits or even higher ranks, after all the lectures they get on safety, posting pictures of themselves pointing rifles at each other, and that’s where things go pear shaped. It also doesn’t allow people who aren’t in the company to join!
    I do understand the need for security but when it’s well done over all I think it’s a good idea!

Well that's fair enough and a damn good idea but can't be said for all of them. Example, came across a small unit whose bebo had 3551 members. And we're talking a unit with a max of 50 members at a conservative guess-now that's an absolute joke.

I do take you point though and commend those involved if it's as good as what you say-that's what a unit page should be used for not self glorification of some Cpl or Pte who took it on himself to set up a "savage" page looking "the dogs boll*x" in his uniform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 enda50

defo SegaBoy

This is really p*ssing me off but some members of these pages have both RDF and IRA pictures on their pages-one even has pictures of Continuity IRA graffiti. I mean come on, for Gods sake some of these people have no sense why are these unit pages still up? How embarrassing a member of Transport Company is openly supporting dissident Republicanism, how does that reflect on the DF if you where an outsider considering joining the PDF/RDF?

This is really p*ssing me off but some members of these pages have both RDF and IRA pictures on their pages-one even has pictures of Continuity IRA graffiti. I mean come on, for Gods sake some of these people have no sense why are these unit pages still up? How embarrassing a member of Transport Company is openly supporting dissident Republicanism, how does that reflect on the DF if you where an outsider considering joining the PDF/RDF?

Completely agree!! They make the DF look like a scum ridden farce! I've heard of idiots joining the reserves to learn how to fight when the sh1t hits the fan. Knobs!

Completely agree!! They make the DF look like a scum ridden farce! I've heard of idiots joining the reserves to learn how to fight when the sh1t hits the fan. Knobs!

It's very annoying when I see complete conflict of interests in the RDF. I know a pte in my unit who has a few republican tattoos-newsflash, not only does it look completely unprofessional that can actually be used as evidence to convict you of membership of an illegal orginisation in the Special Criminal Court!!

These lads/knobs obviously don't know what their talking about but don't you have "to be of good character" to join the RDF??

I can see that a lot of units are desperate for members but for Gods sake allowing this type of material in only drives away good recruits. Case in point, we had a final year med student in our unit-vanished with all the fag breaks and wannabe scumbag 17yr old recruits in with us....oh well I can hear the whole "just cos he's a med student doesn't make him a good soldier" arguement but the guy wanted to join the PDF with his qualifications eventually-they are CRYING OUT for Doctors but the RDF might just have scared him away...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

There are plenty of people in the PDF with republican tatoos also...

Simona1986 wrote: »
    There are plenty of people in the PDF with republican tatoos also...

Does that make it ok? There's a difference between having a tricolour or a celtic logo but full blown "I support the IRA" is def not on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

A girl in my unit has pictures of herself in a thong on here bebo as well as repeated toutings of how amazing her corps is combined with her RDF photos.

A girl in my unit has pictures of herself in a thong on here bebo as well as repeated toutings of how amazing her corps is combined with her RDF photos.
    LOL!! I love the 31 Transport page, the moderator (a pte) is in full glorious RDF uniform.....plastered with heavy make-up, priceless!!

LOL!! I love the 31 Transport page, the moderator (a pte) is in full glorious RDF uniform.....plastered with heavy make-up, priceless!!

ARGH!

Googled it.....
    Mine eyes!

ARGH!

Googled it.....
    Mine eyes!
    To be honest blinding the enemy is a good idea!

Also has a link to a British Army recruitment tool and plenty of references to the US Army...wonder if she realises that's an Irish tricolour on her shoulder?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yeah, I know a good few people in that Unit, I must say the Page is very reflective of alot of them. (Not all of them, Mainly the younger crowd.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

In all seriousness, that sort of bebo page would put people off joining the RDF. How could anybody take the RDF seriously after looking at it?

Pure Cork wrote: »
    In all seriousness, that sort of bebo page would put people off joining the RDF. How could anybody take the RDF seriously after looking at it?

Ture, should see my unit page, makes me embarrassed to be associated with the unit-best avoided :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Ture, should see my unit page, makes me embarrassed to be associated with the unit-best avoided :(

Well then that makes you infantry:D:D:D:mad:

Well then that makes you infantry:D:D:D:mad:

U'd think that wouldn't ya?? Lets not speculate tho.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Wow looking at that 31st Transport Corps bebo is really making me reconsider joining the RDF:eek:The carry on! that durka durka photo:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Conor108 wrote: »
    Wow looking at that 31st Transport Corps bebo is really making me reconsider joining the RDF:eek:The carry on! that durka durka photo:eek:

Have a look at this one so

http://www.bebo.com/3adrecruitment

Maybe change your mind again :p

concussion wrote: »

That is impressive, a hell of a lot better than the other pages I have seen, fair play lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Links please:pac: And 31 Transport too.

• Advertisement

Steyr wrote: »
    Links please:pac: And 31 Transport too.

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=6297933316 turn up the volume on your speakers-u'll see/hear what I mean :p

PS Don't post that girls profile link-even though it's on public no need to make a laughing stock out of her on boards.ie :)

[url]
    PS Don't post that girls profile link-even though it's on public no need to make a laughing stock out of her on boards.ie :)[/url]
    I wouldn't.

I do have some sense of decency:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Great to see the RDF Pages and such like supporting ''our boys in Iraq'' and ''Royal Marine Tribute''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

concussion wrote: »

Thats more like it:)

Conor108 wrote: »
    Thats more like it:)

I especially like their private members area as their other half, proper way of doing things imo

• Advertisement

Great to see the RDF Pages and such like supporting ''our boys in Iraq'' and ''Royal Marine Tribute''.

Glad they know what army they're attached to :o

Still though-these type of pages are just a turn offs for potential recruits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Glad they know what army they're attached to :o

Still though-these type of pages are just a turn offs for potential recruits.

Not really, they'll just end up recruiting scumbags :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭greenarrow

I think what Segaman is missing from his rather one sided argument is some facts. I noticed that he made a reference to a bebo page that has over 3500 members. Which I imagine would be the following page:

www.bebo.com/62LSBMedCoy

In fact, I would support his argument up to a point on RDF bebo pages, and their content. As the majority of them are poor and look exactly the same. With little or no effort involved in them.
    However, I would have to disagree with his negative comments about the above page, as the medics page would be an exception.

I can count on one hand the number of high standard RDF bebo pages that I have seen. The medics page is of a very high standard.
    There are no negative comments, and all the comments are screened by a moderator beforehand.
    And the content of the page is very informative, and stays well inside the DF regulations. Overall it shows the RDF in a very positive fashion. Well the Medical Corps unit in question anyway. With no pictures of people acting the goat, drinking, messing around etc. Which has come to be a staple feature of all the poor RDF pages out there.

Having read through the page, it appears that is designed as a recruitment tool to entice people to join the Medical Corps. Or 62LSBMedCoy specifically. And if you read through it, you can see that it is designed to recruit people who are of very good standing and character.

And in defence of the Medical unit in the Eastern Brigade, the DF does absolutely nothing to promote or encourage people to join any Corps units. Which can be easily seen in the advertising for the RDF. Which is all designed around infantry and nothing else.
    Even the unit finder for the RDF units is accurate for every other unit, bar 62LSBMedCoy. It is located in St. Bricin's Hospital, yet the unit finder puts it as being in Cathal Brugha. Which is on the other side of Dublin
    So, in defence of the medical unit who own the page, I would say fair play to them, because the DF have no agenda to promote their interests whatsoever.
    I think its the unit formerly known as the 2nd Field Medical Company who are now the 62nd following the re-org in 2005. And its great to see that they are still maintaining their high standards.

As to them having over 3500 members, well I can imagine someone actually randomly adding people to a page, but to get 3500 people to join through that method would be impossible. Perhaps the real reason why they have so many members is because of the quality and content of the page.
    I noted that you weren't too impressed by your own unit's page in one of your previous comments. Perhaps its a case of the green eyed monster.

And to end this point, I would point out that there are members of this page who are members from all around the world. So its actually become a page with a global standing too. That should be commended and not knocked. With members from the RAF, NZ Navy, US Navy etc.

As to them advertising on Copper Face Jacks bebo page, that is just using common sense. Coppers is frequented by nurses too. Which would allow for the Medical Corps to recruit interested people and to be kept informed of HSE policy by people in the know, because the DF can't be depended upon to keep the Medical Corps RDF up to date on these matters. And also improve the level of training from a medical perspective.

Given the number of members that it has, I would hazard a very good guess that it has turned up on the DF radar. And I would say that the DF press office don't have a problem with it, and in fairness it is something that deserves credit for being innovative. Perhaps the DF press office could ask them how they manage to raise the profile of their unit, and apply it to raising the profile of the RDF.

I think hats off to the medics who have put this page together, because they have set the standard for how bebo can be used as a recruitment tool.

By the way, I do still support your original argument about poor standard RDF bebo pages. But I am a fond believer in sticking up for the little guy.
    Oh, and a medical unit has a capacity for 71 members not 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

This one is not too bad either http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=6221086458. It appears to be a means of comms for members of the Coy and a bit of recruitment. This is another one on similar lines http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=5004489635 not as good though. Two more poor ones http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4456442007 and http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=5885843529

My point exactly. And having a bebo page that is maintained and run properly like all the above pages is a way of showing the RDF in a very positive light.
    I will go back on my quote about being able to count all the good pages on one hand, but I meant it in the sense that there are very few quality bebo sites out there.

I am a great supporter of using technology and the internet as a means of recruiting because that is the future. And all those pages that we are talking about are being maintained by dedicated and competent individuals too.

This one is not too bad either http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=6221086458. It appears to be a means of comms for members of the Coy and a bit of recruitment. This is another one on similar lines http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=5004489635 not as good though. Two more poor ones http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4456442007 and http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=5885843529

I agree with you whole heartedly. What do you think of the pages we are talking about though? I think they are a way forward when it comes to recruitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

I fully agree. We are now in the Bebo / Facebook / My Space generation. Our target market are Bebo users, local newspapers were once the cutting edge of advertising but not now in the late 00's. We as an organisation are just replying to the market to quote the business world.

It is also a sign of leadership that RDF members are putting up and maintaining good sites. The reality is that these members are interested in filling the void that Cadre are creating in relation to communications.

As for the weak sites maybe a comment on the sites would not go astray?

I have mentioned it to people. Some of the pages are run by good moderators too.
    All in all I agree 100% with you. We are living in the pace age and its important that embracing these advertising/recruiting tools is done because it shows the organisation as being modern.
    I like seeing these pages pop up. And I have to say that the medics page was the first one I saw that really bucked the trend, but I have come across a few others too since.

I think the medics did the right thing by using bebo as a recruitment tool. And don't quote me on this, but I think that given the amount of members they have, they have permission from Brigade. I am not 100% certain on that.

I know a few medics, but I am not sure who it is that runs their page. But I think whoever it is, the DF press office should be looking to find him/her and get them to work with the manpower office.
    A small little medical company, that the army couldn't care about, has managed to get the largest RDF bebo page on the net, with a global profile. I wonder how they did it though, because there is no other unit with anywhere near the number of members that they have. And the number of hits is almost 12000 too.

I take my hat off to them. Everything on that page is top drawer. From the content, videos, blogs, photostream...even the google.map link. And I am reading a comment about the google.map link being broke and fixed within a few hours. That's dedication I have to say.

I wonder if you are a member too? It wouldn't surprise me.
    I would say people have joined it as a member based on how polished it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Greenarrow... You're a medic aren't you? :p

Poccington wrote: »
    Greenarrow... You're a medic aren't you? :p

Actually, no I'm not a medic. There ya go.
    I know medics do a very tough job, and its never really acknowledged because it happens behind the scenes. And quite a lot of the time, they are taken for granted. So, I thought I would stick up for them for once because they deserve it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement