Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

c-o-m-p-a-r-a-t-i-v-e Q (Eng HL)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

www.skoool.ie is always worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Yeah, skoool have some good notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

- Strictly Ballroom
    - Philadelhpia, here I come

- Lies of Silence

I like the ones in blue, I hate Lies of Silence. PHIC and SB are my two best, so if the two part question is nice, I'll do them in (a) and LOS in (b).

I'm in the exact same boat! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 InVikingWeTrust

Themes and Issues, you only have to concentrate on 1 theme isn't it? For example you pick love and talk about all the diff types in the 3 texts?

our teacher isn't the best for explaining and im startin to get a litle worried:S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah, just the one theme.

Also, I've found in experience, doing the text you don't like/don't know well in the (b) part isn't always the best idea. I did that for my mock, talked about The Crucible in the (b) section because I don't know it too well, but in retrospect, writing an entire essay (admittedly shortish one) on your worst text alone doesn't seem like a fantastic idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yep, one theme. You should have 'key moments' from each text that illustrate this theme. Theme is likely, considering it didn't come up last year. I did cultural context, because I loved it. Theme is less time consuming because you have less to compare and contrast each text against. You SHOULD attempt to write equally about each text, if you neglect one and it's really obvious you've done so, you'd more than likely be penalised, unless the marking scheme changes.

You do need quotes for the comparative. Not that many, and generally only in the 'key moments' part of the theme question. It can be handy for cultural context too, but not as much as theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

I did five last year... mental teacher. Mental.:eek: Used three in the end tho.
    Here it is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055083426&highlight=english+comparative

Dunno if its any help tho, what with the different texts and all:p

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

We're going * Wuthering Heights
    * The Importance of Being Ernest
    * Strictly Ballroom..

I love wuthering heights! Don't care for strictly Ballroom..

Advertisement