Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't sleep, the spiders will eat me!!!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭protos

Was in Suriname in South America for a holiday there recently and my girlfriend had a close encounter with a tarantula - we were on a jungle trip and the toilets were in stalls outside. She was sitting in a stall pondering the mysteries of life and looked up and saw a tarantula as big as my hand crawling around in the rafters in the roof !! (see attached)

In fairness she dealt with it well - we'd been in Suriname two weeks at that stage, and she was getting a bit more used to tropical insects, lizards etc ........... you should have heard the screams though when we were packing, and she was shifting through a bunch of clothes and she came across a cockroach that was a good 1.5 inches in length.

Cockroaches are nasty ...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Staggering number of big girls blowses billowing around this thread.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

For about a week i slept with my quilt tucked in around my head because there was a spider on the ceiling right over my head..finally he disappeared..i wonder if i ate him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

You're all mad. I never saw the big deal with spiders, in fact I used to pick them up and play with them as a kid :). If I see any now I'll just let them out the window, if I can catch them that is, some really fast buggers out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Creature wrote: »
    You're all mad. I never saw the big deal with spiders, in fact I used to pick them up and play with myself as a kid :). If I see any now I'll just let them out the window, if I can catch them that is, some really fast buggers out there.

Spider fetish eh?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

You're all mad. I never saw the big deal with spiders, in fact I used to pick them up and play with myself as a kid :). If I see any now I'll just let them out the window, if I can catch them that is, some really fast buggers out there.

LMFAO, great typo !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Jesus what's with all the damn hovers, big boots and lynx flame throwers? I keep a plastic transparent glass and a thin CD case in my room as my insect removal device.

Quick and easy, just put it over them. Move it a bit so they fall on to the side of the glass, then slide the CD cover under the glass.

Out the window they go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

This is the scaryest ive seen, I belive its a huntsman......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

dancor wrote: »

*poops pants*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Are you trying to tout that as your own pic? That thing has been posted all over the internet for months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Oh my f*cking god........ that's the most disgusting thing EVAR!!!

rb_ie wrote: »
    Are you trying to tout that as your own pic? That thing has been posted all over the internet for months now.

No, not at all, got it as an email months ago then also seen it here on boards.
    If i seen that in person I would die with fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

No, not at all, got it as an email months ago then also seen it here on boards.
    If i seen that in person I would die with fear.
    Ah right lol, I thought you meant it literally :)

I've friends who went backpacking who wandered across spiders like that before, mainly in bathrooms oddly enough. Not pleasant on the eye alright and certainly not good to walk in on a female with her nest/eggs/babies as they're prone to defending quite aggressively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Ah right lol, I thought you meant it literally :)

I've friends who went backpacking who wandered across spiders like that before, mainly in bathrooms oddly enough. Not pleasant on the eye alright and certainly not good to walk in on a female with her nest/eggs/babies as they're prone to defending quite aggressively.

Especially if you really need to take a ****e with a wee turtle head poking out and all that. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I now hate you for putting that image in my memory.

-Funk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Don't love them or anything but not exactly squeamish with them either but jaysus that wouldn't be nice to walk in on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

Femmy wrote: »
    For about a week i slept with my quilt tucked in around my head because there was a spider on the ceiling right over my head..finally he disappeared..i wonder if i ate him?

The average person does eat 6/7 spiders in a lifetime[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Seonad wrote: »
    The average person does eat 6/7 spiders in a lifetime[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

False!!!

funk-you wrote: »
    I now hate you for putting that image in my memory.

-Funk

Ah let me make it up to you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Ah let me make it up to you :)

Bom-chica-wa-wa:pac:

-Funk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

False!!!

There is debate over the number but this would be a natural place for spiders to go-dark and moist-and spiders and other insects can also get caught up in food manufacture, although there are legal limitations governing this..

I have woken up with a spider on my face before:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

c - 13 wrote: »
    LMFAO, great typo !

Lol thats what I get for not proof reading :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I have a similar problem, I think there is a nest near my window cause if it's left open any amount of time there will be around 10 tiny little spiders in and around it.

I killed all I could find, left.. came back and there was 10 more.

I fúckin' HATE spiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

U kno they stay alive inside the hoover, and crawl back out sometimes. They mostly come at night. Mostly.

most vaccums have rubber valves in their base to stop things from flowing back out. Similar in design to a human vein.

soiders here a ****ing friendly though. Back home I contend with Black Widows and Wolf Spiders in my sleeping area. Interestingly enough; they arent really that interested in you at all. But they are still fun to kill. Special point to note though: do not try and step on a 'pregnant wolf spider.... chaos ensues.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lol thats what I get for not proof reading :pac:.

You should feel proud, that typo really brightened up my otherwise dull morning/afternoon!

There's always a spider somewhere in my room at night. I sleep in a (poorly, in retrospect) converted attic so there's plently of storage space, dark corners and holes between doors and floors for spiders.

The biggest one I've ever seen was in Shannon Airport about 2 years ago. I reckon its leg span was close enough to the diameter of a CD. The thing was running around the check-in area, somebody must have been doing some smuggling because there's no way it was Irish!

Also, on one occasion myself and a previous OH were enjoying some private time in her sister's room and another giant was hovering right above us on the ceiling. Needless to say, we never used that room again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Seonad wrote: »
    There is debate over the number but this would be a natural place for spiders to go-dark and moist-and spiders and other insects can also get caught up in food manufacture, although there are legal limitations governing this..

I have woken up with a spider on my face before:confused:

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

They're nothing to lose sleep over though as they're no harm and keep the house insect free, I just hate the sight of the huge ones randomly appearing, such as the night I was lying on a beanbag watching tv and one appeared at the side of it. Bastards.

They are not insects, they are arachnids. There is a big difference. Sorry to be pedantic about it. Spiders actually keep your house clean, they kill flies, cockroaches etc and ensure that the true nasty little insects are not around for long so they are a sign of an insect free house. But they do look creepy.

There are cockroaches in Ireland. An apartment block near me had them in some of the apartments. They are around but relatively rare. A few spiders would sort them out.

Moojuice wrote: »
    There are cockroaches in Ireland. An apartment block near me had them in some of the apartments. They are around but relatively rare. A few spiders would sort them out.

Then how do we get rid of the Spiders when the roaches are sorted!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Then how do we get rid of the Spiders when the roaches are sorted!!

Oh that's simple, we'll import a rare breed of birds from Malaysia that will eat the spiders.

Oh that's simple, we'll import a rare breed of birds from Malaysia that will eat the spiders.

Then how do we get rid of these birds?

• Advertisement

Then how do we get rid of these birds?

That's the beauty of it, the birds will die off in our cold winter!

That's the beauty of it, the birds will die off in our cold winter!

You forgot the snakes and gorrillas!!! :o

Meh! The joke is the same regardless.

Classic Simpsons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Quality episode :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

For the love of God, what a bunch of Lilly liveried pansies.

It'd be one thing if we had spiders worth being afraid of in this country, how can ye be afraid of something a thousandth of ye're size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I don't think a site that got its sources from an American tabloid and a 1954 book titled "Insect Fact and Folklore", is something to stand by...
    Surely I'm not the only one whose woken up to find some spiders on the pillow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Get a fair few in the bathroom. There was a decent sized hairy fecker sittin on my towel the other day. He was harmless enough though.

Red backs are pretty leathal but not too common in urban areas, though my uncle did have a few in the damp corner of his shed. Ugly bastards. Have yet to see a wild Huntsman unfortunately.
    Was working a few hours north of brisbane and the lads found a dead huntsman, about 5 inches long, they put him over the sunvisor in the ute..
    Was bombing it down a dust track and sun was blinding me so i pulled the visor down and he landed on my lap... near $hit meself, just grabed and threw him!
    Had a good few close calls with red backs. Puttin in water main for a mine and the pipes had been layed out along the road for a couple of weeks, they would get picked up by the crane and you would grab them to stop them swinging only yo look inside and see the nest! Well them and brown snakes, dont know which i dislike more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Zingy

Haven't seen a spider in our house since we got a cat!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's more likely you eat them at night...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Be glad it's spiders. Would you rather flies to be buzzing about? Spiders are lovely creatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Spiders are still EVIL:mad:

Advertisement