Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hosting question - linux V Windows

Options
  • 08-05-2008 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Why do I get ASP, ASP.NET and PHP with windows plans
    and I only get PHP with Linux plans?

Is it possible to get ASP on a Linux plan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

asp and asp.net tend to run on IIS ... IIS is a windows only server

There is a port for asp onto apache but its doubtful you'll find it on a shared hosting account (to the best of my knowledge)

http://www.apache-asp.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

thanks for that, i'll take a look.

apparently it is possible to run php on iis
    so i dont see the point in linux if it restricts you to php when windows servers have no restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

really its a personal preference type thing most of the time.

If you're going to be doing asp development .. then go with windows

If you're not ... well which system are you more comfortable with Linux or Windows ?

personally I love shell access on the systems I'm working on and find it extremely handy ...

I prefer chmod ... mod rewrite ... shell access to databases in mysql and so on.

I don't do any asp development so its a simple choice for me. I also don't have any mssql databases (though I've worked on a few projects with them)

You'll find some of the open source apps don't really like running on windows systems too much as well paths being different ... and some system variables ... so you may have to end up hacking things slightly.

Really its up to you which to go with

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

php tends to work better on linux. As I understand it, it was designed with linux in mind, and to integrate with apache and mysql (which have windows ports but would normally be associated with linux). I've had funny issues dealing with the filesystem using php on windows. But I do use php, mysql and apache on my development windows machine and port it to linux hosting later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Please note the forum rules on hosting discussion. Thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement