Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playoff Thread

• 08-05-2008 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

The most exciting football of the entire season is to be had with these sets of matches starting this weekend

Championship

Watford v Hull City
    Crystal Palace v Bristol City

League One

Southend v Doncaster Rovers
    Leeds United v Carlisle United

League Two

Wycombe Wanderers V Stockport County
    Darlington v Rochdale

I'm going for Watford, Leeds and Darlo

Let the drama commence!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Come on the mighty Wycombe! If my jersey wasn't back in Ireland I'd be wearing it this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Come on the mighty Wycombe! If my jersey wasn't back in Ireland I'd be wearing it this weekend.

It's a class shirt alright! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Love the play-offs.

I hope Bristol City and Hull are in the final for the big prize.

Did anyone else used to play with Hull back in the earlier years of Champo Manager?

It's a class shirt alright! :D

Mine's from the 1993 FA Trophy Final. Has the date stitched under the crest and everything. From the days of Martin O'Neill and Steve Guppy.

I'll be supportin Leeds as well cause the oul fella's a fan. Again, I've a good few of their jerseys at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

****ing jersey collectors :(

• Advertisement

Mine's from the 1993 FA Trophy Final. Has the date stitched under the crest and everything. From the days of Martin O'Neill and Steve Guppy.

I'll be supportin Leeds as well cause the oul fella's a fan. Again, I've a good few of their jerseys at home.

Haven't Wycombe got a lad called Torres who's their star player? Remember seeing a segment about him on ITV's The Championbship last year

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ****ing jersey collectors :(

Awwww you're in some mood this morning. First the Arse/Pool thread, now this. Is there something you wanna talk about?

What's wrong with collecting jerseys anyway?
    Haven't Wycombe got a lad called Torres who's their star player? Remember seeing a segment about him on ITV's The Championbship last year

They do indeed. Sergio Torres is his name. Midfielder and bit of a hot head from what I gather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

But i bet you didnt forget to bring this shirt with ya.....:D:D

sorry....really bored,must go do some work now

gucci wrote: »
    But i bet you didnt forget to bring this shirt with ya.....:D:D

sorry....really bored,must go do some work now

Oh no I'm getting one of those on Saturday...... in pink and extra small :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'm hoping Hull can get their act together and get pomotion - then Campbel can stay on loan there and get some premiership experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wanna see Bristol City, Leeds(obviously) and, I dont know, maybe Wycombe or Darlington go up.

If Bristol dont go up, and Leeds do, it'll be a fun weekend away for me, meting up with friends from there:D

Roll on Monday for the Mighty Whites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Crystal Palace will be promoted. Warnock has the experience and Morrisson seems to be in good form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

ever seen a thread and username so suited :D

:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I usually love the Play Offs but I hate them when Leeds are involved. I'm already very nervous about Monday night. We have to get a lead to bring to Carlisle because they have an excellent home record. Hopefully the 40k in Elland Road will be too much for Carlisle to handle and they will bottle it.

I think the Championship final will be between Palace and Hull. Watford have been awful lately and I think Warnock has done a great job with Palace and they will be just too much for Bristol City.

Would like to see Wycombe to get up from League Two but I think any of the three could win that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Right, well I'm not very confident that we're gonna get anywhere against Hull in the semis. I've been at about 6 or 7 games this season and near the start of the season you could see the goals where flowing freely. Selling King to Wigan was a bad move on Aidy's part because I reckon we'd be planning for the Premiership already if he had of played out the season.
    Was at West Brom and Blackpool in the past month and in both games, even though we got draws in both, we were outrun completely for parts of the game.

Hope the form book goes out the window as it usually does in the play offs and we have a day out in Wembley in two weeks time:D

Going to go with Watford, Leeds and Wycombe to win them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Decent game so far between Southend and Doncaster. Really commited match with lots of hard tackles. Some good passing football as well. Either of these teams will give Leeds a real game if we get through.

0-0 so far.

First game of playoffs finishes 0-0 then. Maybe its better I didnt go watch it...now back to me study:(

Shall be torture Monday night...getting nervous now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Is there any chance that 40k at Elland road becomes a disadvantage if things don't go the way of Leeds after a half - hour? Given the stature of the club and the hugeness of the occassion - isn't all the pressure on your own players? And is a huge home attendance a help or a hindrance in that regard? I remember watching Forest at home to Yeovil last year and for want of a better term they bottled it despite the big home support.

2 best footballing sides in the league my arse- worst game of football I've seen in a while, we'd dick either of em in the final.

As for luckylloyds comments above, the reason I think we won't bottle it is we've got players who've played in front of big crowds before (Richardson, Douglas, Freedman, Prutton, Huntington & Michalik have all played in front of over 50k crowds in big pressure games).

Carlisle won't turn up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

may not be a leauge side, but the real wimbledon, AFC wimbledon won the play offs from the ryman leauge to the conference south last weekend at the the third attempt, also happens to be their 3rd promotion in the 6 seasons they have been formed

:D:D

irish-stew wrote: »
    may not be a leauge side, but the real wimbledon, wimbledon AFC won the play offs from the ryman leauge to the conference south last weekend at the the third attempt, also happens to be their 3rd promotion since in the 6 seasons they have been formed

:D:D

How many divisions are between them and league football now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    How many divisions are between them and league football now?

they will be on level 6 of the pryamid for next season, currently made up of conference north and conference south, they'll be playing in south, 2 more promotions then to reach the leauge, leauge 2 (division 4)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Is there any chance that 40k at Elland road becomes a disadvantage if things don't go the way of Leeds after a half - hour? Given the stature of the club and the hugeness of the occassion - isn't all the pressure on your own players? And is a huge home attendance a help or a hindrance in that regard? I remember watching Forest at home to Yeovil last year and for want of a better term they bottled it despite the big home support.

I don't think so. As Death or Glory said we do have players that have played in front of big crowds before so there is experience in the squad. Also our last match was in front of 38k so the young lads now know what it's like. It's rare for the Leeds fans to ever get on the players backs, sure last season when we were getting hammered 0-4 at home the fans never stopped cheering the team on. Can't wait until Monday, we better get through so I can go to Wembly for the first time!

Crystal Palace and Bristol City is the first match up today in the Championship Play offs. Palace have done remarkable to get into the play offs after being down the bottom for a while and everyone is saying they will get to the final. I think they probably will as well but would love to see Bristol City do it. They need a good result today though to have a chance.

Originally Posted by Kingp35

It's rare for the Leeds fans to ever get on the players backs

LOL! Go tell Dan Harding, Stephen Crainey, Frazer Richardson and Tresor Kandol that!

It's rare for the Leeds fans to ever get on the players backs

LOL! Go tell Dan Harding, Stephen Crainey, Frazer Richardson and Tresor Kandol that!

I meant the team as a whole and there is no way the fans will get on their backs in a game as big as a Play Off semi final.

Kandol doesn't get abuse anymore.

He did from me the other week, the sh*t bastard! :)

In all seriousness though, I expect the atmosphere to be white hot...... the lads have a couple of giant banners planned too, just to remind the FL and Mawhinney how much we love em

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Being a City fan, shouldn't you be supporting your home town team of Stockport?! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Bristol City vs Crystal Palace
    Bristol got the away win 2-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Neil Warnock is everything i hate in a manager

on SSN whining apu

Wooo, delighted Bristol got the win, my friends will be in great form now.

As for Leeds in front of a sold-out Elland Road, been done before, play like crap(from reports anyway), yet still get the win. That'll do me, but lets hope they have a bit of a lead to take back to Carlisle with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

My dubious psychic abilities are indicating that Hull, Carlisle and Rochdale will go up.

*just saw Rochdale were beaten today. Oh well....
    It seems like Rochdale and Darlington have been in the 4th tier forever, so I hope whoever wins that semi goes onto promotion.

Nerves are jangling already, great to see Smith going up front and the young lad Ainsworth coming in.
    Would even take a draw here today as our away from is so much better than our home.

Also, here's a clip of the goal that won the Game for Bristol City, not good quality but you can still see it's a screamer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QkTjXNTIR4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

HT - Hull 2-0 up

Sh1ttu had a goal disallowed aswell, should have counted

Watford very unlucky so far. They had a perfectly good goal disallowed, I have no idea what the ref saw but nobody else saw anything wrong.

Watford need to score or they are looking at another year in the Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yeah, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the goal. Goalkeeper protection gone mad.

Edit: And now a red-card for Watford. Bit of a melee, hard to see what it was actually for. If it was for the tackle that led to the handbags, it was harsh.

Edit Edit: Now Danny shittu is gone off injured. Definitely not their day!

We've been absolutely robbed. Its unbelievable. The goal in the 4th minute was a goal. No way was it a foul in any way.
    If we had of gone one up this would be a totally different game. The confidence that has been lacking would of been back.
    And now with that red card, I'm absolutely fuming. If we can get out of the Vic still only two nil down I'll take it. With how good our away forms been this season we could still get a result out there which can get us to Wembley.

1-1 draw for Wycombe. Bit disappointing seeing as Stockport equalised with seven minutes to go. Means a goal is required at Edgeley Park.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Hopefully the 40k in Elland Road will be too much for Carlisle to handle and they will bottle it.
    Carlisle won't turn up

Well, the goal after the end will help of course.

Extra Time in the Bristol City V Palace game. Palace winning 1-0. Ben Watson missed a penalty and Trundle hit the bar with a great lob.

Really hope Bristol City win, can't stand Warnock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Really hope Bristol City win, can't stand Warnock!

ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Call em' up.

Call em' up.

Well, he was fantastic tonight. Bristol City deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Lovely goal from Trundle.

... I'm off to sign that Trundle for Ireland petition :D:D:D

Delighted now that Bristol are through. Heres hoping they get promoted now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Lovely goal from Trundle.

... I'm off to sign that Trundle for Ireland petition :D:D:D

I didn't even know he was gone from Swansea

There I was a few weeks back going 'great Swansea are up a a level, we might see more of Trundle', only to see him with City last night, he might in up in the Primership.

I hope Trap was watching , oh well I see now he was actually he was at a u-23 game.

I hope he watches the final so, oh well I now see he has the game against Serbia that day.

Oh well, no call up for Trundle then.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

The possibility of a Bristol/Hull final at Wembley for the last promotion place to the Premiership...Will be interesting to say the least...

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Reckon Hull have enough to see of Watford, some good experienced players. In saying that they might not be able to hack the premiership if they go up

There's no way that Bristol City would last in the Premiership next year. No chance of it as they were only promoted last season as well. They would be just lke Derby this year.

Hoping we can turn this around tonight. Having Henderson back is big and Eustace is available as the appeal was successful. Shows how much it was a joke of a decision.:rolleyes:

Does anyone know if the same ref does both legs? I hope not.:mad:

I didn't even know he was gone from Swansea

There I was a few weeks back going 'great Swansea are up a a level, we might see more of Trundle', only to see him with City last night, he might in up in the Primership.

I hope Trap was watching , oh well I see now he was actually he was at a u-23 game.

I hope he watches the final so, oh well I now see he has the game against Serbia that day.

Oh well, no call up for Trundle then.

The final is on the 26th afaik.

Anyways, no one should be jumping on the Trundle for Ireland bandwagon. Chaps only scored six goals all season. Not consistent enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement