Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA IV makes $310 million in first day sales!!!

• 08-05-2008 8:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Just read this on GameSpot. Gta4 made $500million in the first week of sales and 310 of that was in the first day. We're all in the wrong business!!! (unless of course you're actually in the games industry, in which case you're in the right one)
    GameSpot wrote:
    GTAIV shatters records with $500M in week-one sales

Take-Two proclaims open-world actioner "largest launch in the history of interactive entertainment"; day-one sales top 3.6 million units, week-one sales over 6 million.

By Tom Magrino, GameSpot Posted May 7, 2008 10:10 am PT

In the weeks leading up to the release of Take-Two and Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto IV, predictions were in abundance as to how well the game would do. While analysts' predictions were mixed, Take-Two execs themselves were reportedly under the impression that the game would shift 6 million units in its first week after measuring out preorder demand.
    It turns out that prediction was spot on. The Rockstar Games parent said today that Grand Theft Auto IV has sold through to consumers 6 million units globally in its first week, generating income of approximately $500 million. First-day sales for the game hit 3.6 million and tallied a staggering $310 million--nearly double Halo 3's $170 million day-one take and $10 million more than the sci-fi shooter's entire opening-week haul.
    Unsurprisingly, Take-Two was quick to tout GTAIV's new position as the best-selling launch of any entertainment property, gaming or otherwise, ever. "Grand Theft Auto IV's first week performance represents the largest launch in the history of interactive entertainment, and we believe these retail sales levels surpass any movie or music launch to date," said Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick.
    GTAIV's unprecedented launch has been a primary point of contention in the ongoing takeover talks between beleaguered Take-Two and its rival Electronic Arts. With EA saying Rockstar and its open-world crime adventure--which is just the fifth game in GameSpot's history to score a perfect 10--are of paramount interest in the $2 billion hostile advance on Take-Two, Take-Two has said that the company's value won't be fully determinable until after the launch of the game. EA's tender offer to shareholders--which was lowered to $25.74 in light of Take-Two's share-dilution poison pill--expires May 16.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

:eek::eek: 6 million copies, no wonder the servers were goin down for the first few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Wow, I thought they were all talk with their predictions. It's crazy that they were pretty much spot on there. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good!

I hope the rockstar employees get big fat bonus checks as the game is brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Wonder how many of them will get into the hands of kids.
    Haven't played it myself , looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Me = Unsurprized.

and I havent even played it yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

"GTAIV's unprecedented launch has been a primary point of contention in the ongoing takeover talks between beleaguered Take-Two and its rival Electronic Arts"

Dear motherfcuking christ no. Please please please do not let EA anywhere near the GTA series. I don't care if they take 4 years to create, I 'd rather wait and get a decent game out of it than having EA start releasing GTA 09 (now with added clouds :)). **** off EA and stop trying to takeover everything that surpasses your ****ty gaming series...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

And there's talk of them charging 10-15 dollars for the download content? Scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

DarkJager wrote: »
    Dear motherfcuking christ no. Please please please do not let EA anywhere near the GTA series. I don't care if they take 4 years to create, I 'd rather wait and get a decent game out of it than having EA start releasing GTA 09 (now with added clouds :)). **** off EA and stop trying to takeover everything that surpasses your ****ty gaming series...
    Take Two are nothing more than distributes for GTA. They have no say in the creative process. That'd be the same position EA would be in if they bought Take Two.
    rb_ie wrote:
    Bit early for anyone to know that, pure speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

rb_ie wrote: »

I think it's in Microsoft's court how much is charged for the content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

If you don't want the content, then don't buy it? Wheres the scam?

I play both Halo and COD on-line. I bought the new COD maps but did not bother with the Halo map pack. You don't HAVE to buy the additional content?

New content is generally around 800 points. Thats less than a tenner - and a bargain for extra content if you like the game. [For example I got the mission pack for Oblivion, no idea how much it was, assume it was 800, but it was brilliant!]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lol this puts to bed that thread asking which would sell more GTA or halo.

GTA absolutely pissed on it.

and also whoever thinks that they aren't going to charge for the downloadable content then you should book a stay here http://www.centralmentalhospital.ie

microsoft paid $50 milion to have the content exclusive to them of course they are going to charge they charge for playing multiplayer don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Also the rumour is that the downloadable content will be an extra city, so you can be pretty sure that they would charge money for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I hope with the game meeting expectations, Rockstart don't sell out to EA.

How is it a scam? You either buy it or you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Cremo wrote: »

microsoft paid $50 milion to have the content exclusive to them of course they are going to charge they charge for playing multiplayer don't they?

deffo, MS are obviously gonna charge people for the DLC

no such thing as a free lunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Christ I knew GTAIV would surpass Halo 3 in first day/week sales but I didn't think they would do it this emphatically. Hats off to them.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I hope with the game meeting expectations, Rockstart don't sell out to EA.

How is it a scam? You either buy it or you don't.
    What I mean is, say for example planes. They release a pack that includes planes, which you've to buy and download.

Why couldn't they just put them in with the original release? I mean, it's all good and well to say "Well we've just created the content", but what's to stop games developers developing a game, say GTA, then when it's finished, picking out "good bits" to take out, re-package as an add on later on?

I know you don't have to buy it, but I still think basic game elements, such as another Island, should be included in the original distribution and then downloadable content should be updates/weapons upgrades etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Cremo wrote: »
    Didn't they also pay some rediculous sum of money aswell for two Demo-Missions? Nothing beats 3 or 4 years hard work like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Wow they must have had some loss with the game being leaked early....:rolleyes:

So much for that arguement. I am yet to be convinced that infringment is hurting any media, be it dvd/audio cd or games. But thats another thread.

The funny thing about this is, they were able to keep up with demands here as far as i can see. There was still three copies for the 360 in Tescos here in Tullamore on the Saturday of the week it was released. And plenty on both platforms in Argos for a good while after too. Nintendo take notice.

What I mean is, say for example planes. They release a pack that includes planes, which you've to buy and download.

Why couldn't they just put them in with the original release? I mean, it's all good and well to say "Well we've just created the content", but what's to stop games developers developing a game, say GTA, then when it's finished, picking out "good bits" to take out, re-package as an add on later on?

I know you don't have to buy it, but I still think basic game elements, such as another Island, should be included in the original distribution and then downloadable content should be updates/weapons upgrades etc.
    Nothing, and nothing ever stopped them from removing content and releasing it as an expansion pack later.

The only thing we can do is not buy it if you don't feel its worthwhile, if they don't make money off it they won't do it.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Nothing, and nothing ever stopped them from removing content and releasing it as an expansion pack later.

The only thing we can do is not buy it if you don't feel its worthwhile, if they don't make money off it they won't do it.
    Indeed, but have we seen anything of such a scale on previous consoles? I certainly haven't.

Say for example, COD4 releasing new maps. By not including them in the original distribution, they didn't "leave out" anything, in such a way that leaving an island out of GTAIV and then charging for it later does. We don't know whether they've had these maps since the original development, or if they continually designed them after the release of the game itself.

However, surely an Island was designed when the rest of the game was? Particularly if the news is being leaked, then surely it's been around a while and isn't currently in development.

It basically means that, if you want everything the game can offer, you can expect to pay more on top of what you're originally paying for the game pack (i.e the cd in the store). I hear COD4 will be releasing even more maps, fair enough, the last ones weren't great but whatever, I'll probably buy them as it keeps the game from going stale, so it'll be another €10. That'll drive the cost of the game up €20 overall thus far. If they've already been developed and are being held back for later release, then the costs of development have gone so that charge is pure profit (bar distribution costs).

Compare that to the PC, where people can develop their own maps and share them free of charge, it means us as console users are in effect getting the short end of the stick. I mean, surely it wouldn't be that hard to release a self-development platform for the maps for the PC and let people use USB to throw them onto their PS3/Xboxs? Such a platform does exist though, as they've kindly demonstrated by directing console users to the website to download it, the only implication being that you have to already own the PC version and the maps can't be transferred to the consoles.

Apologies if I'm going on a bit of a rant :) I just think it's a severe lack of transparency. I know we can refuse to buy it, but who's going to not bother buying the extra maps for COD4, or the island/planes/whatever it is for GTA? The standard maps with COD4 get boring after a while, GTAIV will certainly get boring after a while and it's a way or reviving interest in the game, only problem is that it's costing €10 or so a pop.

It has it's positives and negatives, but overall, again, I think there's a complete lack of transparency as to the costs incurred when purchasing a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

It has it's positives and negatives, but overall, again, I think there's a complete lack of transparency as to the costs incurred when purchasing a game.

Can you play the game without the extra content? Yes

It's not like you paid 60 quid, put it in your Xbox/PS3 and it said insert your credit card details to play. I really don't see where the lack of transparency is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

The question is this:

Is the content on the GTA IV disc worth the asking price?

The answer is very clearly a resounding yes.

Therefore there's no problem. Even if they have some extra stuff they're holding back for DLC (which is by no means certain), the projected profits from DLC are all part of the business plan and they'll be the reason why they could afford to put extra resources into developing it in the first place, so I really don't have a problem.

I'd only have a problem if the game they were releasing in the first place was lacking, and it very much isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wow they must have had some loss with the game being leaked early....:rolleyes:

So much for that arguement. I am yet to be convinced that infringment is hurting any media, be it dvd/audio cd or games. But thats another thread.

Are you 12?

if piracy doenst restrict trade why are devs moving away from PC gaming as it has rampant priacy? Rockstar havent released a pc game in years and have no intention of. But guess you got to download a game so thats ok.

Not shocked about the 500million thing, game is now 100 odd million of the highest grossing movie ever :eek:

kdjac

Say for example, COD4 releasing new maps. By not including them in the original distribution, they didn't "leave out" anything, in such a way that leaving an island out of GTAIV and then charging for it later does. We don't know whether they've had these maps since the original development, or if they continually designed them after the release of the game itself.

However, surely an Island was designed when the rest of the game was? Particularly if the news is being leaked, then surely it's been around a while and isn't currently in development.
    I pretty sure R* have denied its another island. But any way, these maps or extra content may have been decided on during the development but it doesn't mean they could be ready for launch. By the time a game reaches alpha stage artists and level designers job is largely done, by beta stage these they have minimal amount of work left. People can start to be shifted to work on extra content at this stage, that is how they get extra content out soon enough after launch so people are still interested.
    It basically means that, if you want everything the game can offer, you can expect to pay more on top of what you're originally paying for the game pack (i.e the cd in the store).
    Everything the game has to offer is on the CD, anything after that is extra.

Compare that to the PC, where people can develop their own maps and share them free of charge, it means us as console users are in effect getting the short end of the stick. I mean, surely it wouldn't be that hard to release a self-development platform for the maps for the PC and let people use USB to throw them onto their PS3/Xboxs? Such a platform does exist though, as they've kindly demonstrated by directing console users to the website to download it, the only implication being that you have to already own the PC version and the maps can't be transferred to the consoles.
    Of course this is a favourable option, but TBH I can't see it catching on.
    Apologies if I'm going on a bit of a rant :) I just think it's a severe lack of transparency. I know we can refuse to buy it, but who's going to not bother buying the extra maps for COD4, or the island/planes/whatever it is for GTA? The standard maps with COD4 get boring after a while, GTAIV will certainly get boring after a while and it's a way or reviving interest in the game, only problem is that it's costing €10 or so a pop.
    Its providing more game time on top of the 40-50 hrs you already get on the disk, of course you've expected to pay for it.

I dont see how age has anything to do with my arguement. I believe PC gaming has decreased because of the hardware requirements that most games have and "flashy" next gen consoles that are currently dominating.

New gadgets like the Wii/DS are dominating too because of the gameplay and immersion and control. When i can afford Wii and Zelda/Mario Kart with the sh1tty plastic wheel ill be buying.

For example, i have Counter strike source, UT2004, HL2, Elder Scrolls Oblivion etc but i cant play games such as Crysis or other games the last couple of years because my graphics hardware doesnt support shader model 3/ DX10 / Games for Windows (force Vista upon us,...Halo 2 FFS.) etc.

Processor comes into play too. Its like if i bought a Ps3 (which i did a couple of months ago) and every now and then you had to upgrade the graphics card/motherboard/PSU/RAM etc, it would get fairly expensive. Ive been through an old dell already, spent nearly a grand at the time on my current config.

Its all great for some getting new systems and upgrades, and TBH im not making an arguement against PC Gaming, i applaud people who are willing to spend time, dedication and money on new systems. But some cant afford the transition. Id rather invest in something i know will last me a few years/a few hyped up games (MGS4, Assassins Creed, GTA4 etc).

UT3 sales were sh1t on both PS3, xbox??? and PC. Whos to blame? The Pirates? UT3 is the bomb and i think you need a key to play online on the PC (why pirate UT3 for single play....)

I will list the "next gen" games i have. Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, GT5 Prologue, UT3, Assassins Creed, Warhawk and Gta4. You should see the Ut3 servers on the PS3, its a joke. Yet Warhawk (servers/gameplay), Gta4(servers suck, Hype?) and Assassins Creed(gameplay) rule the system (both platforms actually) because of the Hype, the PR, the gameplay and word of mouth.

Devs should have considered a system like Steam for the PC years ago if they are going to whinge about piracy.

Jesus i can no-solder chip the Wii and slap an R4 in the DS if i want to pirate stuff. Its not going to take me long to download Wii games and its surely not going to take long to download DS games.

Yet they sell like crazy and due to an error in Nintendos thinking, supply could not meet demand. Both platforms sold out like crazy over the Christmas, and everyone had a conversation about it at some point over that peroid. Wii's sold for 600eur on ebay etc.

Ive spent so much on games every second week because of the hype and only two or three stick out on the PS3. But thats ok, because i'll be grand for the next few years, even two years of "next gen" will do. Maybe soon i can afford a HDTV to get the full experience.

Sorry for crashing the thread guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Those are amazing figures. I wonder how well Metal Gear Solid 4 will do? Obviously it won't reach GTA IV levels but I'd say it will see some good sales nonetheless.

Those are amazing figures. I wonder how well Metal Gear Solid 4 will do? Obviously it won't reach GTA IV levels but I'd say it will see some good sales nonetheless.

i had a ps3 for MGS then sold it as it had **** all games worth buying, i inkling towards getting it again for MGS but somfin tells me it coming out on 360 too.

other than MGS there is no reason for me to get a PS3 again as res5 on 360 too.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    i had a ps3 for MGS then sold it as it had **** all games worth buying
    kdjac

Did you buy the 60gb? Ps3 exclusive games are not looking good for the future. TBH im starting to slowly regret my investment. Maybe it'll sink in when Gta gets old. MGS coming out on the 360?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

KdjaCL wrote: »
    i had a ps3 for MGS then sold it as it had **** all games worth buying, i inkling towards getting it again for MGS but somfin tells me it coming out on 360 too.

other than MGS there is no reason for me to get a PS3 again as res5 on 360 too.

kdjac

Yeah I was the same. I was planning on getting the PS3 for MGS's release but since GTA IV came out I decided to buy it for that. After MGS there doesn't appear to be any games for the system I'd be remotely interested in. Sony better hope it's a PS3 exclusive.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was the same. I was planning on getting the PS3 for MGS's release but since GTA IV came out I decided to buy it for that. After MGS there doesn't appear to be any games for the system I'd be remotely interested in. Sony better hope it's a PS3 exclusive.

Konami are not known for their marketting or actually getting anything right other than good games.

I would imagine they learned from PES and will do MGS on both maybe Sony 1st unless they paid a lot of money for it, MGS on one system isnt a good buisness plan lets be serious gamers will buy MGS and if its on both someone will lose out and it wont be Konami.

kdjac

Advertisement