Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro and xbox live

Options
  • 08-05-2008 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

hey guys
    i just came across this thread
    i know its old but here goes i have a big problem i just got metro in my house an i wanted it for xboxl ive but i cant sign in when i test my connection it fails on DNS server settings but i rang my I.S.P and there the right numbers im on a thomson THG540 router when i go inside i get no options to change anything
    please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Should have just started a new thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corpseorourke

hey guys

i have a big problem i just got metro in my house an i wanted it for xbox live but i cant sign in when i test my connection it fails on DNS server settings but i rang my I.S.P and there the right numbers im on a thomson THG540 router when i go inside i get no options to change anything
    please help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved posts to a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Thomson isn't a router. It's a modem.

You need an ethernet Router (5th ethernet port, usually coloured differently, no DSL port). Maplin, Komplett.ie, Dabs.ie and Argos sell them. WiFi is option. Argos call them cable routers, because Virgin and NTL cable often only supply modems, not modems with integrated routers, like is common on phone line dsl broadband.

PS2, PS3, Xbox, DS etc all work fine on Metro via a suitable router (ethernet cable direct between Modem and WAN port on router. All PCs, consoles etc connect via Wifi OR ethernet (separate 4 ports).

You'll get all kinds of strange errors and only one device at best connecting if you try to patch one of the 4 ports on a switch or DSL modem/router to the Metro Modem.

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55872741#post55872741

It's a modem. Not a router. You need to visit Maplin (sitecom) or Argos (various) and purchase a router with no built-in DSL.

• Advertisement

ok guys so my last set up was digiweb DSL BB for which they gave me a zyxel prestige 600 modem and i added my belkin router and bingo xbox live

now i have my same router(this is the problem? if i understood correct) and my new metro BB for which they gave the thomson modem (there in lies the problem?)

would you still give me the same advice? my router worked wit my DSL you think i need new 1 to use with metro? if so can you supply links to routers you would recomend it would be easier to buy if i knew axactly what im looking for
    thanks again guys

ok i found "cable routers" in argos about 70euro and i can get the exact belkin i have only its cheaper and "cable BB" not "phoneline BB" like mine must be

Belkin arn't great though.

If your belkin router has no phone line socket, it is an ethernet router and just its settings are wrong. If it has a DSL line connection (smaller connection than ethernet, same as phone connector) then it's a DSL modem + router.

ok man just looked and my belkin has 5 connections
    1- green forconnection to modem
    and the other 4 are just connection ports for your computers.

its not realy an option for me but souldnt i just be able to connect my thompson modem directly into my xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You can connect the thomson modem directly into your ps3 and it will work fine. It can be a good idea to power cycle the modem first if you've connected it to any other device before you've connected it to the ps3.

hello again guys ok good news and ofcorse bad news GOOD news is i sorted my xbox live problem BAD news is i can only have 1 or the other on at once
    so its xbox and no pc/net or pc/net no xbox they will not work at the same time
    its not to big a deal i guess i just wont be playing online and downloading anything at the same time lol
    im going to fit a switch so its easier for me to go between the two with out the hassel of messing with wires
    is it normal for a modem to only be able to pull one i.p even tho you have multiple devices connected net/xbox

• Advertisement

You need an ethernet WAN router. Then you can connect everything at same time. Maplin, Argos etc have them.

The modem only gives one IP (ideally to the WAN port on the ethernet router). The router then gives separate 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx IPs to each gadget/device/PC.

You can define the IP for the XBox as DMZ, in which case you need no port forwarding defined. We have used all kinds of consoles, servers, 6 wiFi laptops, Wifi gadgets etc simulanously on our Metro at home.

I'd not use a Belkin though.

i trust what you say watty mate so i will but a WAN router asap but the switches are free and only a temp solution til i get the spare cash.i just had a baby.
    i hear netgear are very good

Yes. Babies are expensive items. I'm still paying for the last one 16 years later (though I didn't have it personally).

Netgear, Linksys, Dlink, Sitecom all have suitable products, prices from €50 to €300 depending on features such as WiFi and speed of WiFi.

16 thats a long time im only starting could you do me a huge favour mate il prob buy it in argos could you have a look and pick a suitable 1 out for me (think cheap CHEAP lol)

Argos (I've not used any of these, but they are all ethernet, suitable for any non-ADSL/DSL application)

675/3722
    675/4848
    675/0763
    675/3904

Argos General Comments pages 536 to 541
    Phone Line Users Catalogue Entries = DSL, ADSL etc, broadband by phone.

Cable Broadband/ cable users Catalogue entries :
    UPC/NTL/Chorus cable modem ethernet port (if USB, you need it swapped for RJ45 ethernet),
    Ripwave ethernet port (if USB, you need it swapped for RJ45 ethernet),
    IBB Breeze,
    Digiweb FWA wireless (usually has a 4 port router, so only needed to swap for WiFi )
    Digiweb Metro

You can use them with an existing ADSL modem/router to add WiFi, if you edit the router settings to "bridge" instead of NAT/Router and connect the new Router WAN ethernet port to any ADSL router port and leave the other DSL ethernet ports empty.

Double check the numbers in the catalogue and satisfy yourself as I can't be responsible. There is little or no advantage in faster than 54Mbps WiFi unless you have lots of gadgets/laptops, server, and 10Mbps or faster broadband.

thanks a million mate im gonna check all those out now .

il try grab 3722 or 4848 asap dont get paid for a few days lol thanks again mate il come back and let you know

hey man just set up my new router buffallo 675/4848 worked a charm man thanks a million :):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 phazor10

I recently got the 6mg digiweb metro package and it works class so i bought a D-Link 655 wireless n gigabit router.All worked well out of the box and i set it up with wpa wireless encryption. My laptop could connect by wan or lan and my ipod touch worked perfect for about 10 mins then nothing and i would have to either unplug the digiweb modem or the routher for a few mins and then all would be fine for another while. I persume i set the routher up correct for it to even work in the first place so i dont know what iam doing wrong.even strange is that my ipod touch can see the network and says its connected to it i cant get the net to work as it says its cant connect but the little symbol says it is. I havent even tried connecting my playstation 3 to it yet. Anyone got any ideas.

make sure
    1) Modem is connected to WAN port, never any of the other 4 ethernet ports
    2) DHCP for WAN
    3) DNS proxy on

see does it need a firmware update. My 108Mbps MIMO Dlink router would die after a few minutes if I used IRC. A firmware upgrade fixed it.

Thanks for the reply watty. I bought the dlink router cause i was told they were easy to set up i tried emailing dlink about it but still havent gotten a reply. I have updated the firmware and i have the cables in the right ports but iam still having problems. Yesterday i connected my laptop into the lan port and used my n95 on the wifi but my ipod touch could connect but it it couldnt use the net for ages then it started working for a bit then nothing not even on the lan. Only way to get it working was to unplug router. Even tried it with no encryption and it was same.

Anyone have a Dlink 655 Cable Router out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Try something mad....

In the WiFI setup on the router - change the channel selection from "Automatic" to say channel 13 and try this.....

I have noticed with a few UD (user devices like iPods etc) this seems to work - I dont know why yet though as it does not really make sense...watty, any ideas why this is so - used a few dlinks, Netgear etc and seems to always work.

Also many USA sold devices won't work on Ch12 & 13 as FCC only allows to Ch11.
    WiFi congestion is a problem. At my Dublin location my Archos WiFi player detected EIGHT wifi points. Unless my base is good and I manually connect it may try to connect to a different one and fail.

An "N" Router I think uses most of the band. See if the router can be forced to a non turbo 54Mbps G mode (uses about 3 channels in reality).

Also technically the router isn't a cable router, simply an ethernet router. But Argos calls them that because in UK the Virgin Cable is about the only common non-DSL broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Hmmm....good point....

I tend to try to use the non overlapping channels also as this can help with thru put. Actually if the router is in a congested area and it picks channel 13 as the best channel but the UD only uses the smaller frequency range (up to channel 11), then this explains perfectly why this can happen...makes sense....

Phazor10 - try setting your router to channel 9 and see what happens.

I re updated the firmware and have it set up to 802.11g only with WPA-Personal. The wpa settings are wpa mode only AES cyper and the key update
    interval set at 3600 seconds. My laptop and N95 work fine and its been working ok for 40 mins. Ipod see the network and has a tick beside name to show its connected but nothing works no mail no safari.the only thing i can do is connect to the dlink router setup page by typing in the ip address.

Whats the DHCP Reservations List cause i can see my devices there and it always says it expires 24 hrs from when connected i can add the devices to this list and it says they will never expire. Does my ipod touch n95 and laptop need a fixed ip address to be added here.

Many thanks

Well if you having problems it's always a good starting point to disable DHCP for LAN on Router (not the WAN ethernet DHCP client on router). Use Static IP and manual config. Then make Router 192.168.0.1 and reboot it.

Use WPA AES Preshared key (PSK) no updates. Use a long random pass phrase. Some devices don't accept HEX. Don't use WPA2 as a lot of devices won't connect.

Then assuming Router 192.168.0.1
    Add this as Default Gateway (GW) AND DNS to every device.
    subnet 255.255.255.0
    IP 192.168.0.11 for 1st device
    IP 192.168.0.12 for 2nd
    IP 192.168.0.22 for 12th etc..

(I reserve 3 to 10 for servers, print servers etc that should always be static anyway. I reserve 192.168.0.101 etc for DHCP clients if I enable it later and reserve 192.168.0.201 etc for VPN clients.).

I'm using PS2 in DMZ, E65 phone, Archos 605WiFi, various Linux & Windows laptops (seven on at once on one occasion via WiFi), 2 printer servers, real servers and various workstations on Metro via a Dlink MIMO router. Nintendo DS not supported as it only does WEP.

To do port forwarding you need Static IPs or DHCP addresses reserved via client MAC. If using Skype you avoid being a supernode because you have a router/firewall and you stop your traffic relaying by someone else's supernode by forwarding UDP &TCP/IP to your IP address to port with 5 digit greyed out number in Skype Advanced Connections. Disable 443 and 80 as they are INCOMING ports (not the usual open outgoing versions) used by a client acting as a supernode. Your Firewall / Router is blocking those incoming anyway.

Advertisement