Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

At 0058 you reported a +CG in the exact same spot as me, south of the penninsula below Hollyhead! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

All topography affects lightning including salt water. It travels as a sky and ground signal in which the detector detects and ranges from. But at night you lose the sky signal due to ionosphere absorbing signal. So your dependeing on a night time ranging upshift on the full nexstorm version to adjust and compensate for you. Depending on bearing to storm, salt water and topo can have an affect on distance from you. When a storm is close within 100miles it should be okay but over the UK, a lot of affects takes its toll. 5 years calibrating and still not 100% happy.

Thankfully, later versions of the software being released are becomming more and more accurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

We should know in the next hour or so when the remnants of the storm get into the Irish sea whether it has a chance of reaching us. Dont look good atm with it decaying fast as it hits Cardigan Bay. Never fails.

How accurate is the location of that storm east of Wicklow Head??? (Closer to Wales than Ireland) I might have to drop the range from 0.60 to 0.50.

Use the semented range under options. Increase it by one or two increments at a time. You should see the affects in 20 mins.

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    We should know in the next hour or so when the remnants of the storm get into the Irish sea whether it has a chance of reaching us. Dont look good atm with it decaying fast as it hits Cardigan Bay. Never fails.
    It has beefed up on the last radar shot over the bay.

Snowbie wrote: »
    It has beefed up on the last radar shot over the bay.

Yes, you are right, holding steady for the moment which is unusual. Normally they die as soon as they hit the coast. Looks like its path could take it south of Dublin but hopefully a slight change of trajectory will occur over the Irish sea. Thats assuming it survives of course! Hit SE coast in, ooooh, an hour and a half? If your in the Southeast by the way and blessed with a view over the Irish sea you should start seeing distant flashes soon enough.

Going off. Hopefully a few more storms (closer to home) over the coming days to play with this. Thank God for Holliers next week!!! :D:D:D

Storm is now making its way across the Irish sea. Seems to be holding up fairly well but signs of a decrease in itensity of precip.

Yep but lightning remains alright. Detector starting to pick up noise associated with lightning which means it is getting close:D

• Advertisement

Some strikes also in the south Irish sea. Lightning has picked back up over the Irish sea now moving into the central Irish sea 40miles ESE of Dublin.

Some strikes also in the south Irish sea. Lightning has picked back up over the Irish sea now moving into the central Irish sea 40miles ESE of Dublin.

Keep an eye out an upstairs window. Should be seeing distant flashes shortly.

Wont be long until we see it. Still some decent strikes out there. Noise count is rising with every strike.

Might just about get here in tact. Some folks are going to be woken up if it does! Precip though continues to lose intensity. Hopefully a pep up as it moves toward the coast.

Cant see any flashes yet. Let us know if you see anything.

2 defined cells, one approaching us here in Dublin, the south Irish sea and a seperate one now and again sparking just north of Angelsey. All exports from Wales.Precip has again intensified over central Irish sea.

Nothing visible yet.

First time in the last 60 mins that lightning has dropped off significantly.

Yeah precip too. Looks like it dieing:( I will give it till the next radar update at 3:45.

Has gone quieter too. The odd burst of lightning but not as persistent as it was.

Now has stopped again.
    It will however lash in the next 2hrs, will it be electrified is yet to be seen. Always the chance of it peping back up as main band moves towards our shore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Has gone quieter too. The odd burst of lightning but not as persistent as it was.

Now has stopped again.
    It will however lash in the next 2hrs, will it be electrified is yet to be seen. Always the chance of it peping back up as main band moves towards our shore.

Even if it does die down, the airmass which contains these storms will be over the east tomorrow, although in weakened form. Some sufficient heating tomorrow could well pep up the intensity again even from the morning onwards. Don't lose hope!!!

aktkartegb.jpg

Snowbie, this sferics map was posted on two earlier today, is it legit..? Some nice strikes over east Irish sea.

• Advertisement

Wind is blowing offshore here so there could be some wind convergence and this means it could intensify right over us. For now it has gone very quiet with first light precip just south of Dublin.

Edit: more strikes now out to sea.

Snowbie, this sferics map was posted on two earlier today, is it legit..? Some nice strikes over east Irish sea.
    Yep that is pretty much i was getting.

That batch between Cork and Cornwall showing no signs of losing intensity:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

That could become an interesting feature later if the land warms up over mid and east leinster in time!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fairly intense looking showers pepping up in the last half hour off the west Wales coast, which would appear to be on course for the Dublin area in the next few hours, but not looking very electrified out there!

A batch of general rain developing over south wales, with a few single cells over west england at the moment. Whether these will mearge with the deveoping trough as it moves north it is hard to say. I wouldn't be at all surprised with all this convergence in the south Irish sea to see a shallow low developing later somewhere around there.

That batch between Cork and Cornwall showing no signs of losing intensity:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

That could become an interesting feature later if the land warms up over mid and east leinster in time!
    Very heavy rain from all that here in south wicklow for the last couple of hours.We've had 9.7mm from it and still rising though easing.
    One low rumble of thunder I'm told at the height of it but I didn't hear that as I was working loud machinery.The rain was pounding off the ground at that time.
    This should be in Dublin soon,it's very slow moving so expect a few hours of wet wet rain there!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain just started here now - I thought I heard a very very distant rumble of thunder but that may be wishful thinking! When there is an outside cahnce of thunder every noise sounds like thunder :p

Definite thunder just now - long low rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Definite thunder just now - long low rumble.

Yep, heard that as well. Hard to pinpoint exactly where it is though. I think it sounded out to sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Very heavy rain and thunder here in Balbriggan. Thunder is almost immediate after lightning sferics on the radio. Big flash just now as I type...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement