Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thunderstorms

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

thunder here now just outside balbriggan and very heavy rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Extremely murky and humid in dundalk....just started pouring rain 5 min ago, getting very heavy now....oh there's the first rap of thunder. Nice. More to come I expect.

thunder here in Dundalk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had some very heavy rain and distant thunder earlier on but its clearing up now, sun coming out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Some really heavy this morning. Wipers on the car on full blast this morning and a nice CG observed just up the road about 0915

Rivers flowing down either side of the roads too.
    10.2mm fell in 14mins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Damn it this seemed to die after a few rumbles...looks like it's spiralling in land toward monaghan...
    Any chance of more action today?

Scotland getting all the fun today with some explosive convection up there.

Over Carlow also,a chance of an embedded storm in the next while as signs of convection are happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Thats a beast of a TS, it has really grown in intensity in the last 2 hours, reading reports on TWO. I was looking for a descent weather cam in google earth to see the action no joy yet :pac:. Looking at the sat image of the exploading convection http://sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Darwin

My barometer gizmo was sounding a storm alarm about 1 hour ago - it's currently showing a sharp fall in pressure. Something is brewing...

More Ts just moved off the Welsh coast and into Cardigan bay. There is a slow NW movement in these.

• Advertisement

I see Met.ie have given a risk of storms along the east coast later. The risk coming from the storms over Wales which have died out. The left over moisture is currently crossing the Irish sea and a sharp shower has now appeared off the Wexford coast. Most showers are dying away and conditions are less favourable over the water atm.

Over the midlands a few strikes from the shower there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The dewpoints are fairly high - the mid 14s here. Any instability that comes in over us should ignite. Only fired up the nexstorm lite there now snowbie so I didn't get to see those strikes over the midlands.

That shower over Athlone looks nasty. I wonder will there be any strikes from it. I am getting readings from West Donegal at the moment though.

Apparently there was a light aircraft that crashed in Roscommon around tea time mentioned on the 6 news. Looks like atrotious conditions around that area at the time also.Unknown if the weather conditions played a part. No more info as yet.

A couple more strikes from that clump in the midlands and also over Wales.

Thats bad news. Hopefully nobody hurt too bad.

Snowbie, SW Donegal is being blitzed on my detector, Only got one strike north of L Rea. So I guess the Slieve Blooms are dampening it down.

Have you figured out the segmented ranging yet? If so it is ranging it too far north about 35miles. Use the NW kernal to range it a little closer to you by only 1 or 2 increments. This is the only way you can adjust the setting(s) when you have a storm like this. Although not a great storm to properly adjust but it is much better than just one or two single strikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A very low flying plane passed right over about 3 hours ago here heading into Roscommon (I am only 2 Miles from the border), Can't be sure if it the same one though. Can see the tops of that shower that is over the Shannon, very dramatic looking. Going to go for a drive to a higher elevation to see if I can get a few better pics of the huge towers.

Just brought them in 2 segments. It takes about 20 minutes for it to show, right?

PS: Should i bring in the Donegal sector, or the Roscommon sector?

Usually and depends on how strong a strom is. The stronger, the quicker the adjustment etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I saw some fork lightning strikes this evening as i was driving past knockcroghery.

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    Just brought them in 2 segments. It takes about 20 minutes for it to show, right?

PS: Should i bring in the Donegal sector, or the Roscommon sector?
    Only just seen your edit. Bring in the kernal that the strikes are closest too.That works for me. If not and depending on your topography, the kernel thats further away in that sector, close in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Too cloudy to take pics:( Seems to be some development to my near east, not sure will it bring thunder but quite dark at the moment.

We were unlucky enough to get a welsh import at around 5am this morning.
    They seem to be most unforecastable.
    All the thunder had gone from it though it did leave 0.5mm rain in about 20 mins or so.It also got quite windy during the shower.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Showers seem to be kicking off in the south Limerick/north Cork area with CB observed at Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Good number of strikes here just now, not showing on any radar yet

Just caught a tornado trying to form on camera

http://picasaweb.google.com/jason.cooke01/Storm?authkey=ds87_12vigw

Pics just now, all those taken at the same time

Tornado pics soon, is 117 of them

http://picasaweb.google.com/jason.cooke01/Tornado

best viewed in the thumbnail view

Was fantastic, never truly formed, but the energy in the clouds was superb!

Made my day.

How come none of this is on the lightning detector snowbie? getting 3 strikes a minute at the mo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nice one ch750536 - looks like some sort of funnel trying to form alright.

Looks like the pararies of the mid-west US rather than Ireland!

I reckon Snowbies detector is just too far away from you to pick up or accuratly reflect what's happening on the ground with you - I would also think that at that distance possibly only high level lightning can be picked up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement