Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thunderstorms

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Good stuff. You witness any rotation in the clouds?

There seems to be some wind convergence going on now. A line has formed and is representing a seabreeze front. Winds are from an easterly direction with seabreeze from the ocean being aided by orographic lift and convection is exploding close to elevated ground.

Also looks like a northerly motion in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Yeah, was amazing, tough to see from the images but in the first set you have this image

http://picasaweb.google.com/jason.cooke01/Storm/photo?authkey=ds87_12vigw#5199524281268512738

showing the cloud to be reasonably high, c. 1000ft

by the time it got to this

http://picasaweb.google.com/jason.cooke01/Tornado/photo#5199526089449745026

the clouds were really low c. 200ft maybe

The clouds forming on the second shot were about 800m nw of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It looks like a Scud which are often mistaken for tornadoes or funnel's, but I'm no expert on clouds. Nice capture's though. Any mammatus from it at all?

Also view the images in slideshow, allow them to cache first. I just held my finger on the button most of the time so I would guess <1sec between shots.

Apparently there are 3 shots with a bird in the cloud to give some scope of distance.

Just run it locally at 1sec intervals, looks really good apart from my amatuerish (and excited) shooting from 20 different angles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I am getting some amount of strikes on the detector over Counties Limerick, Clare, North Kerry and South Galway.

Snowbie, I've ordered the full version of NexStorm. I should have it this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Electricity just back here after a couple of hours. Really intensive thunder and lightning and torrential rain here in north kerry. Have a quick video uploading to Vimeo at moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

AntiRip wrote: »
    Electricity just back here after a couple of hours. Really intensive thunder and lightning and torrential rain here in north kerry. Have a quick video uploading to Vimeo at moment

Yeah just had a few loud thunder here outside Tralee, although i cant see any decent clouds, as some kind of fog mist has been rolling in off the sea since this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Yeah just had a few loud thunder here outside Tralee, although i cant see any decent clouds, as some kind of fog mist has been rolling in off the sea since this afternoon.

Yeah noticed that. It was an absolute gorgeous day here and went to Ballyheigue and Ballybunion and there was a very dark fog rolling in off the sea. Went back home (to the sunshine :)) and then the dark clouds started to form.

Some very nice convection over the west. Look for the shadows created by the CBs.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb&sat=vis

All moving NW out to sea.I hope Paddy(Deep easterly) got his share in storms over Galway this evening:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭monster1

my mate spotted a funnel cloud out to sea in galway as he was walkin from college at bout 1800-1830, he described it as very long :)

Those storms look like they have intensified and are over Galway bay now and into south west mayo by the looks of things.

Classic convergence storm activity where the Easterly flow has met the westerly sea breeze combined with high temperatures/energy and BOOM!

(Edit as snowbie has explained already I see)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Snowbie wrote: »
    All moving NW out to sea.I hope Paddy(Deep easterly) got his share in storms over Galway this evening:)

Stayed to the south and west of me Snowbie, just like the storms the day before stayed to the north and east of me:). Was going to drive into the city for a peek but N17 is a nightmare between 5pm and 7pm. Hot car, traffic and me don't work well at all!! Ah well, better luck next time:(

Aside, Satarday could be an interesting over the skies of Ireland if one was to put faith in ECMWF:

msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!96!Europe!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2008051300!!chart.gif

Possibility of some convection, even over the sea. A bit far out yet, but could be worth keeping an eye on for now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

any chance of a thunder storm bubbling up as we go into the evening?

Damomanye wrote: »
    any chance of a thunder storm bubbling up as we go into the evening?
    There is much less of a chance today.
    Pressure too high so low lying flat areas will have no clouds bubbling up. Look for mountain ranges near the west coast and a slight wind convergence for something brewing but its an outside chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

ah pity, yesterdays storm in Limerick / Kerry/ Clare / Galway was fascinating to watch.

Nothing to see here in any direction. Even the wind has died down.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

There's a lot of activity moving out of northern France into the English Channel and the southern counties of England at the moment - some impressive lightning strike totals on IOW detector.

Here's hoping for sloppy seconds tomorrow! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Anything stirring down in the SE lads, a few echos are showing up on the radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fairly high cape and lowish li in the northwest today, could be some fireworks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like fairly widespread storms breaking out over south Wales at the moment, moving in a north west direction.

Anyone for storms drifting across the Irish Sea for Wicklow/Dublin in the early hours, as with earlier in the month???

Got caught in a violent shower in Tuam a half an hour ago. Still dry here but thunder rumbling from some dark skies to the south. :)

Edit: Drops of hail.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like fairly widespread storms breaking out over south Wales at the moment, moving in a north west direction.

Anyone for storms drifting across the Irish Sea for Wicklow/Dublin in the early hours, as with earlier in the month???
    The cloud tops on both islands are not very high at all. There seems to be an upper warm layer stopping big Cbs from occurring. Also noticed Wales convection that drifted into the Irish sea dying off immediately over a cold sea.

The cloud tops on both islands are not very high at all. There seems to be an upper warm layer stopping big Cbs from occuring. Also noticed Wales convection that drifted into the Irish sea dying off imediately over a cold sea.

Agree with you there Snowbie. Showers are building then dying a bit to quickly this side as well. The last weakly rumbling shower seems to have died a swift death just as another one is building. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

A lot of really threatening cells building through N Spain and S France. Interesting upper level cold pool causing all this, sitting to our SW.

Wertz wrote: »
    A lot of really threatening cells building through N Spain and S France. Interesting upper level cold pool causing all this, sitting to our SW.
    Some explosive convection there

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=sp&sat=vis

Also noticed Wales convection that drifted into the Irish sea dying off immediately over a cold sea.
    They made it over with gusto though!
    No thunder but the sky/clouds had that smokey dark thundery look prior to the start.
    25.7mm/hr at it's peak and another solid drenching with pools of water outside.

They made it over with gusto though!
    No thunder but the sky/clouds had that smokey dark thundery look prior to the start.
    25.7mm/hr at it's peak and another solid drenching with pools of water outside.
    They sure did alright, but not too convective nearing you or the SE coast at that looking at the sat. Intensity maintained to about 20 miles to your east and eased of considerably. I'd say a 50mm/hr rain rate out to sea but precip was driven on a strong wind thus made the crossing.Although the Wicklow mtns have aided lift and looked more intense near Supercell.

Conditions still far from ideal(SST)atm for any TS exports to maintain intensity crossing the water from Wales.

Seems to be some residual instability around this morning going from the radar. A run of light showers running west from Wales as far as Galway at present (5.24am). Not sure if it means anything, but just wondering would some surface heating trigger something off later? Met Eireann at least don't seem convinced. :o

There is one shower in the flow over west england that seems to be gaining and losing intensity with equal gusto at the moment.

Edit. A couple of snaps from yesterdays pathetic performance. (Sorry Mods, not worth putting in the photo thread, but convective activity has been severely sparse here for the last few months that I get a little too excited at the merest hint of such :o)

Took this when I got back from Tuam yesterday. Ran into a traffic stopping downpour just north of the town, but the shower never reached as far as here. Here is how that shower looked from my yard:

Looking south. Still visable shafts running about a half a mile away:

DSC00442.jpg

DSC00443.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

Looking east, shows how close the edge of the shower came over. A couple of loudish rumbles noted at this point, with some big drops of hail for about 20seconds soon after:

DSC00448.jpg

DSC00449.jpg

• Advertisement

Just seen the BBC lunchtime forecast and they were talking a lot of thunder tomorrow.
    It should reach the South east of Ireland by late afternoon and spread northwestwards as like the last few spells.
    Except this time it will have a lot of embedded thunderstorms.

It looks exciting!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement