Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Towering cumulus clouds now over Wicklow Mountains - clear here, 19.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Seems like a good day for the chase.
    Anyone know of updated WI-FI hotspots around the Wicklow/Kildare/Carlow or midland regions or links to a site. Can't seem to find a detailed coverage map.

Time is of the essence

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Snowbie wrote: »
    Seems like a good day for the chase.
    Anyone know of updated WI-FI hotspots around the Wicklow/Kildare/Carlow or midland regions or links to a site. Can't seem to find a detailed coverage map.

Time is of the essence

One here, it shows some wifi's around wicklow when i done a quick search. just select country/county. good luck with the chase :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Exploding convection to my east at the moment, roughly about 4 miles east. :)

I can see some building towards my north, mash potato type stuff :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

CB to my south-west - probably over Wicklow/Kildare border somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Today could be interesting. There are cumulus clouds all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm off to spray the field I sprayed yesterday, seems clear enough around here, wish me luck.

The odd rumble here, but nothing impressive. Convection seems to be dying as quickly as it is building. Still dry.

you see nothing interesting happens in tuam... meanwhile there are louds bang here:p

• Advertisement

That is because Mayo people steal from us humble folk! I can see big towers over towards your direction alright. Turning out to be a non event here again...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 StratoQ

Thunder now in Kilkenny. One hour earlier than yesterday's TS. Temps seem to have peaked at 23 C.

Some Serifics popping up on radar :) and will these be home grown mostly or any imports?

impressive fork lightning going on now!

impressive fork lightning going on now!

I can see them showers from here, the clouds look massive. An unhealthy looking clearence moving in from the south here, but a continuing trail of convection to my ENE, I.e, not here. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Plenty of rumbles now (Mountrath), getting louder by the minute - wind picking up as well from a completely calm afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Lots of rumbling to my North and South here in Carlow Town for the past hour or more, the activity was more so to the North at first, but now seems to be more active in the South, not so much lightening, but plenty of rumbling.

I'm afraid I cant report temps or such as: overgrown bush + weather station cable + dad armed with hedgeclippers = cut cable :(

Another surge of building to my east and southeast at the moment. No doubt they will miss here again, but Nacho could strike lucky again later. :)

Edit: Knock reporting 16.8mm of rain at 4.00pm. Must have been a biggie...

Got down as far as Baltinglas on my chase and got a storm that built up quite quick an moved towards Carlow, unfortunately i had to return home and Danno texted me that the cell exploded over Laois.

Have photos will upload sometime later.

Another surge of building to my east and southeast at the moment. No doubt they will miss here again, but Nacho could strike lucky again later. :)

Edit: Knock reporting 16.8mm of rain at 4.00pm. Must have been a biggie...

yep, as my neighbours used to say what is considered a bad day for most people is a great day for me:D

lightning here, there and everywhere this afternoon:D

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »
    One here, it shows some wifi's around wicklow when i done a quick search. just select country/county. good luck with the chase :)
    Thanks Hal for the link, i got that before i just left the house in the end. Also thanks Danno for the radar updates.

There seems to be alot of activity in Offaly and South Roscommon at the moment. If that were to spreads north westwards, before dying out, you could be in business Paddy1

Big shower breaking out to my near south east, but now the wind has turned to the north west, sucking in any convection that is occuring here.. Balls to this..

Grrr51.gif

Big shower breaking out to my near south east, but now the wind has turned to the north west, sucking in any convection that is occuring here.. Balls to this..

Grrr51.gif

i guess this is God's way of telling you, you live in the wrong place:p

i guess this is God's way of telling you, you live in the wrong place:p

:D You might have a point!!!

Loud rumbles here at the moment and quite dark. Main cell still remaining to the south over east Tuam. :(

Edit, continuous thunder now, concentrated to the east. Sounds like they are having fun about 3 miles east..

Main cell remaining to the east, but thunder and lightning increasing. about 6 strikes a minuite now. Load continuous claps.

A clump moving NNW in the midlands and intensifying rain wise. Detector gone quiet for the mo but i shall think it will come back to life soon.

Storm moving closer but thunder a lot less frequent. Rain not particularly heavy but I would imagine flash flooding in parts of the locality..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

WOW What a storm! Some fork lightning over west Laois this evening 5pm-ish. My detector peaked at 47 per minute :eek: I cannot believe there was no rain here either. The base of the cloud looked very menacing, I thought a tornado could have spawned out over Ballacolla.

@ Snowbie - No probs for sending you updates! Hope I was of help! :D

• Advertisement

I could see towering columbus on the horizon all day but clear blue skies where the dominant feature.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement