Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Danno wrote: »
    WOW What a storm! Some fork lightning over west Laois this evening 5pm-ish. My detector peaked at 47 per minute :eek: I cannot believe there was no rain here either. The base of the cloud looked very menacing, I thought a tornado could have spawned out over Ballacolla.

Same here, barely any rain (4.6mm). But the frequency of thunder and lightning was quite frightning for about 15 mins. Not very often we get continuous peels of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Same here, barely any rain (4.6mm)

4.6mm is lots of rain!!, I rarely get more than that!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I had 9mm from a shower yesterday with no Thunder!

Reports of a church struck by lightning north of Rathdowney, Co. Laois.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055304674

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There has been quite a bit of damage there - to the stained glass window and to the house beside the church. A couple of small fires started, but the brigade dealt with them. Up to an hour or so ago the brigade were still there. Landlines must be affected as I am having trouble ringing the area.

• Advertisement

Hmm, I might take a drive over there tomorrow, it's roughly 10 miles away.

Anyone in the north midlands at the moment? Radar continuing to show some nasty showers up there:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

they don't seem to be dying out just yet..

spacer.gif

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

We have a 2 day race meeting here in Listowel tomorrow and Monday. I usually go but I don't fancy getting soaked or hit by lightning! We had big shower at 2pm today with thunder but nothing since. Any chance of an improvment for the next two days? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

We had no electricity from about 7.30 until 10 this evening due to the lightning. It peaked around 7-7 30 this evening and we had about an hour and a half of heavy rain, the real summer type thundery rain. Very good show indeed, about 15 close strikes for me, near Clara BTW. Talking to Bren, over on the TWO forums, looks like a possible repeat tomorrow, but more threat to the west and south, and not so much the midlands. They said that today though....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

• Advertisement

I think tomorrow will be better in the SE as pressure will be lowest there.

I agree that the SE and the south in general has a higher chance today as well. Not too hopeful for here as the air is a lot fresher and cleaner than yesterday and dosen't feel as threatning. Probably the odd random isolated heavy shower at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

No sign of the towering Cumulonimbus clouds that were present early yesterday morning, seems to be fresher day out there at the moment.

A few small bits going up now... http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb&sat=vis
    The few that do occur today oughta be quite severe due to more surface warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

oh god, theres some very heavy echos retuning in a small cell just east of Limerick, i can see some incredibly dark clouds there guys.:eek:

Exploding over Carlow, Kilkenny, Tipp and Limerick... http://sat24.com/frame.php?html=zoom&xas=172&yas=165

West Kerry, Dingle area is ALIVE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Some very big anvil clouds building up now, to the east and southeast of me.. got a few pics to upload later

One of the showers passed over here but was only minor. Parents think im mad sayin theres thunderstorm potential around...:D

Hopefully a crazy shower here will prove me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

3 cells around the country atm. Mayo, Kerry and Limerick.
    There is one over Cavan atm forming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Galway is missing out again. I hear rumours paddy1 has been spotted in Mayo:D

A bit of thunder here and light rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Yeh can hear a few distant rumbles at the moment , clouded over here now though

A massive cloud with thuner and light rain has passed over here and is heading Kerry way Takeshi.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it just got very windy here...it can't be long till the thunder comes

ah yes there is that sweet sound:)

Clear blue sky overhead here, however the sky is black to my west. Out over County Tipperary it looks nasty. A thin vale of high cloud to my North and Northeast.

There was no thunder in Galway as Ger Loughnane is harnessing it all for the Galway Hurling Team this Summer! :D:D:D

Galway is missing out again. I hear rumours paddy1 has been spotted in Mayo:D

Its a lie, I still am not brave enough to enter inside the border!!:D

The dry air here is allowing me some spectacular views though. There is a strong looking shower breaking out roughly around Claremorris; another shower to the north which seems to be decaying. 2 large anvils visable east of Galway city roughly abouts, and increasingly congestive to my east. I am in the centre of a clear void, has to be seen to be believed!!! That's it, I am moving to Mayo!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Seems pretty clear here in Newport, North Tipp at the moment.

Danno wrote: »
    Clear blue sky overhead here, however the sky is black to my west. Out over County Tipperary it looks nasty. A thin vale of high cloud to my North and Northeast.

Danno, I can see to large anvils to my south, I estimated that they are east of Galway city (not sure how much). Is it possible we are looking at the same system from different parts of the country..?:eek:

• Advertisement

Has suddenly got very windy here, with exploding shower to the north, sprang up very quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement