Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Flat battery *stop the press*

Options
  • 08-05-2008 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Help needed...
    My wans car has a flat battery (- all together now awww) which i suppose i got to fix cause she's the boss.
    The car is a 1.2 Polo 1997 but went from having a dandy battery with all the power you'd want to being stone cold dead. This was after bout 5 days lying idle. Looks like there was something draining the power but no electrics were on over this time.
    I did however notice that wiring to the speaker in the board covering the boot had come away - basically one wire pushed out after closing the boot on a larger object. Could this have caused the drain?

Also - the car is in a position where i cant get to it with jump leads so im wondering if a charger pack will do the job on this car with a completly flat bat.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If it is still the original battery from 97, it might just have gone the way of all mortal things and died of old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Get a new battery and put it in, otherwise check the alternator is charge the battery up, you might need a new one or go for a reconditioned unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

Yeah a battery pack will start it ......... but if its an old battery you may as well replace it for comfort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I loled at your opening line :D

Why not go the whole hog and treat her to a new battery, perhaps you could pass it off as an anniversary or birthday persent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Mickey G

Damomayo wrote: »
    Yeah a battery pack will start it ......... but if its an old battery you may as well replace it for comfort :)

Gotscha.

Was my theory about the loose speaker connection draining the power baloney like? I mean it was A-wan one day and flat as a witches titty the next likesay.

Looks like i may have to get my paws dirty...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Mickey G

Bendihorse wrote: »
    I loled at your opening line :D

Why not go the whole hog and treat her to a new battery, perhaps you could pass it off as an anniversary or birthday persent :D

Jebus you just reminded me- 3rd wedding anniversary coming up some day next month - cant believe i forgot - better check what the exact date it (its defo one of 3 in my mind) - New battery it is then!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mickey G wrote: »
    Was my theory about the loose speaker connection draining the power baloney like?
    Unlikely but then anything is possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Normal consumer battery packs won't start completely dead battery. You'll need to fork out €300 for one that will.
    Same happened my wan's battery recently, A-wan one minute, few hours later nowt! Gave up the ghost just like that. Just buy a new battery and fit it in. Save you time and money exhausting the alternatives first!

Advertisement