Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Myth of the 199 xbox

• 08-05-2008 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Its been advertised with gta 4. Im sure you're all sick of hearing people ask about it. I've looked around and it appears to be total bs imo.

Has anyone seen this offer around at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It's been advertised with GTA IV, but it's not advertised as being bundled with GTA IV.

http://www.toys.ie/XBOX-360-ARCADE-SYSTEM-!E08597-prod.aspx

Smiths in Tallaght have some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

The advert says, console available from 199.99 and has a shot of GTA 4 next to it, but the game ISN'T included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Its for the base system - but at least it comes with a hdmi cable unlike the ps3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

it doesn't come with HDMI cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

beerbaron wrote: »
    Its for the base system - but at least it comes with a hdmi cable unlike the ps3

It comes HDMI enabled. It probably comes with the component cable although not 100% as I got the premium and it did with that.

If you're just buying the console for GTA then get the core as it now comes with a memory card. Might need a wireless adpator if you're not going to position it near you're router/switch/modem. (if you intend on playing online that is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

would the memory card be able to hold enough data for GTA? is it not just a 256mb card? i'm sure i read somewhere (round here somewhere??) that it needs to do a big install for initial updates and stuff? anyone know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Seems reasonable? Or is it just nowhere near enough for whats needed to play the game properly?

There is no install on the Xbox 360 version. I'm pretty sure it will cover the size of the save needed. I'll check when I get home of if someone knows then post it up.

If you intend on getting the downloadable content for GTA (not yet available) I'd go for the premium system as it comes with the 20gb hard drive. It's also handy for downloading demos and arcade games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

back of the box says 1mb to save game, so 256mb is plenty

f************** lovely! gonna be picking up an xbox during next week, was going to go for the xtravision deal for €299 but if this is the case i think i'll just go for the arcade one and update it with a hard drive and anything else i need once i get through GTA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Check the price of the hard drive first, it will probably bring the total cost above €299 when bought seperately so you might be better off just going to the €299 pacakge.

true jip, but all i want it for is pes and gta... so for 200 i could get both working fine with the 246 memory, and later if im feeling sassy i could simply just get the harddrive and upgrade.

I rekon this is a good entry level machine for someone looking to build on it for the future..

im inching my way towards getting it after work today..

grimm2005 wrote: »
    back of the box says 1mb to save game, so 256mb is plenty

Cool. Probably best to buy the arcade/core (same thing) then. Should have loads of space left on the memory card, even for a few arcade games (can get demo of them all).

red_ice wrote: »
    true jip, but all i want it for is pes and gta... so for 200 i could get both working fine with the 246 memory, and later if im feeling sassy i could simply just get the harddrive and upgrade.

I rekon this is a good entry level machine for someone looking to build on it for the future..

im inching my way towards getting it after work today..

Thats what i mean, just going into start off with, don't have any other of the new machines that are out. so i reckon i'll be doing it this way until i decide to go out and get more games when i'm done with GTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Got an arcade the other day and you only get av cable, doesn't work for hd btw. $40 on MS website for new hd av cable but only £5 on ebay + P&P and it's sent from Cork. Definitely worth getting if you have HD TV, graphics are poor on most SD games.
    256mb card is only ok, don't forget the downloadle stuff will be coming out in autumn and you will need HDD for that so might aswell get one anyway. About €60 on ebay I think... Not new though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Keith186 wrote: »
    Got an arcade the other day and you only get av cable, doesn't work for hd btw.

I thought it came with the component cable. That works for me up to 1080i on my TV. On the cable you got was there 6 connectors or 3? That's really crap if it just comes with a standard composite cable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You won't be able to go online with the arcade/ core version once any game is patched and you need to get the update for it before being able to sign in.

went out n got my xbox!

I got the arcade with ped6 and gta4 and a second controller! Got it all for a great price - legit too! muhahahahah!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

say more!

250 euro

cant say where or how tho. All i can say is that its totally legit and brand new and i have the relevant purchase documentation!

Also, gta4 is somewhat of a letdown...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

250 euro

cant say where or how tho. All i can say is that its totally legit and brand new and i have the relevant purchase documentation!

Hmm, 'totally legit' and you can't tell us where you got it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Only the elite comes with the HDMI cable.

250 euro

without saying where you got, its automatically suspicious. 250 is decent but not overly special.

a friends employee discount ;o

fair enough, that wasnt so hard now, was it??

Advertisement