Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

casurfingr keys while

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i got a copy of my key made that does not have any electrics in it. leave that with elcetrics in the boot and take the other key in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

drivers side wheel well

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

paddyb wrote: »
    i got a copy of my key made that does not have any electrics in it. leave that with elcetrics in the boot and take the other key in the water

Thats a good idea...but is it expensive? does the car not need to go in to have the new key programmed to it?

lol @ gerk :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 RedStarHardkore

I have a key without any electronics in it, and I find a better place to put it rather than a pouch under the wetsuit is to stick the strap of my bootie through the hole on the key handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I use a waterproof wallet and wear it inside the wetsuit, around my neck. On the expensive side but it does the job.

pakpak-denko_DENKO.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Just inside my exhaust; Will have to stop that though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I use a keypod. The new one is much better than the model of a few years ago. Better hinges and a soft bottom.

http://www.extremehorizon.com/acatalog/KeyPod_car_key_safe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

Typhoon. wrote: »
    Thats a good idea...but is it expensive? does the car not need to go in to have the new key programmed to it?

lol @ gerk :D

it was a tenner, just brought it to a key cutting place and asked for one without the electronics.
    You cant drive with it, it will only open the doors. So ill leave my proper keys in the car, then lock the door and open it when I finish with the non-electronic key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I would go with the keypod thingy.
    Putting key on wheel exhaust etc is not a good idea, there are people who target surfers they're easy targets for robbing. As for the valet key, well it's not bad but if your car is robbed with a key in it i don't know whether your insurance is valid for theft? Or just take the wifey's car :-)
    Having the key inside your suit in a wallet is not something that's going to be real comfrtable to be honest, i've tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

thanks for all the replies guys

i like the idea of the spare key best.. i dont have a problem with the keyaround my neck it doesnt get n my way and i dont even notice it there....

i could take wifeys car prom but that'd mean she'd have to take mine...and she's not too bothered where she parks so i'd be guarunteed to end up with dings in me doors from other peoples doors....

you guys hididng the keys around the cars are brave men

i remember a few years ago hearing about a little magnetic box that you put a spare key in and hide under the car somewhere (incase you loose your keys) and i remember thinking at the time it was a bit ropey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Just remember if your car is stolen with the key left unattended in it or on the vicinity of it then your insurance is usually invalid.

I leave one of the back doors unlocked and hide the key in the car under a seat or somewhere

The exhaust or wheel arch is not a very good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I got a spare key cut without the electrics.
    Stick it in the key pocket of my suit and away I go.

It also comes in useful when I take out my MTB on some trails, or am out running.

Wasn't aware of the insurance invalidation thing - though I still prefer the idea of it locked away from sight rather than stuck on a wheel arch or exhaust.

if getting the key cut, you may need to be very specific, some people said they couldn't do it, you need to explain you only want it to open the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lim abroad

my leash has a little pocket to put a key in,needless to say its not electronic

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

+1 for storing the key in the leash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

My latest O'Neill suit has a key pocket at the side of the calf, it's excellent doesn't get in the way at all but only suitable for a battery free key.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

I had a non-electronic key cut for €8.50 which does the job and goes into a calf key-pocket on the wetsuit - fantastic. :)

This works for an old car - a Punto - with no car alarm or significant electronics. Does any know if they the same technique would work in opening the door to a newer car that has a car alarm/immobiliser/other possible door-related electronics? If I buy a new car, I don't want to find out afterwards that this knack doesn't work!

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

argolis wrote: »
    I had a non-electronic key cut for €8.50 which does the job and goes into a calf key-pocket on the wetsuit - fantastic. :)

This works for an old car - a Punto - with no car alarm or significant electronics. Does any know if they the same technique would work in opening the door to a newer car that has a car alarm/immobiliser/other possible door-related electronics? If I buy a new car, I don't want to find out afterwards that this knack doesn't work!

Thanks in advance

As I've said earlier in the thread, I have one cut too. There is an immobiliser in the electronic key, as my non-electronic one will not start the engine.
    BTW, its a 03 Almera.

I know that the Renaults with their credit card keys, also have an old school type key & hidden keyhole to open the car in case the card fails or battery runs out.

I'd imagine most cars should be able to at least open with a non-electronic key.
    Best bet would be if buying a newer car to find out before buying whether or not a non-electronic key will work with it.

Advertisement