Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a recommendation - cheap passive gfx for linux

Options
  • 08-05-2008 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a cheap passively cooled graphics card that will run up to 1920 x 1200 in linux.

I know that nvidia used have better linux support but i recently had a nightmare getting an 8800gt working in ubuntu so i wanted to post here and see if anyone had any thoughts.

I'm not going to be gaming, might watch a movie or two (if all else fails it'll become a media centre) but in general the box is just going to be used as a server. I haven't decided what flavour of linux yet (it's probably between CentOS, Ubuntu Server or Fedora).

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Any of the 7 series gpu's should be fine, my 7900gt worked fine in Ubuntu, there's sometimes problems with newer gpu's, 8800gtx was the problem one with the release of Gutsy, 8800gt with Hardy.

This, not a great gpu, but good enough for your needs.

gotta love this:
    Built for Windows Vista
    :D
    Love to see it handle Vista aero

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Cheers Pog i was looking at that but also considering an ati hd3450, wonder if ati's drivers have improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Cheers Pog i was looking at that but also considering an ati hd3450, wonder if ati's drivers have improved.

They have, but I've a friend not happy running Ubuntu Hardy on an x1300 with the new drivers

shame, it looks like a nicer card than the 7300

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

ive got a passive 7300gt, works no probs with ubuntu.

my x1950 pro on the other hand.....

• Advertisement

cool, cheers. Looks like it'll definitely by an Nv 7 series then :)

Advertisement