Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Tools: Reverb Plugin?

Options
  • 08-05-2008 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good convolution reverb for my Pro Tools LE system. So it has to be RTAS. The one that pops up everywhere is Altiverb. I have that in work and use it a lot but I want to try something different. I've heard Wizzoo verb is good. Any suggestions. Are convolution reverb heavy on the old processor? I'd imagine they are. I'm wondering of my laptop can handle even handle it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Convs are usually pretty hard on the CPU. Before i even opened your thread i thought Altiverb(presumably after seeing the title....otherwise that would be random and weird).
    Its a great plugin. I find myself using the Oxford verb and sometimes the CSR stuff. What bucks are they now? I thought they were worth it. Altiverb could be a good few pound still

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

QuadLeo wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good convolution reverb for my Pro Tools LE system. So it has to be RTAS. The one that pops up everywhere is Altiverb. I have that in work and use it a lot but I want to try something different. I've heard Wizzoo verb is good. Any suggestions. Are convolution reverb heavy on the old processor? I'd imagine they are. I'm wondering of my laptop can handle even handle it.

I have no idea what reverb plugin would be the best. I find the LE D verb is enough to do the job. I was in a friends house and he showed me his reverb outboard and I was very impressed with the thickness and warmth . I will save up and at some stage eventually buy an outboard dedicated reverb . The D-verb plug in is ok if you knock the pre delay up full and reduce the overall mix. The d-verb plugin doesn't take up much reverb either. If I am not mistaken it comes in the bomb factory bundle. I have the waves reverbs and I am far from blown away with them.

dav nagle wrote: »
    The d-verb plugin doesn't take up much reverb either.

Yeah thats really good. I find one of my compressors takes up FAR too much of the compression :p

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

I'll try D Verb and Oxford. Has anyone used Wizzoo verb?

Nope but heard very very good things about it. I have bought so many reverbs thinking...THIS IS THE ONE!.....and then i end up using a different one on each different song. The oxford one is a little pricey but i use it a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

I'll give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Gonna have disagree with the recommendations of d-verb.

IMO it's an awful reverb because of two things

1. you have very little control of the tail compared to pretty much any other reverb out there

2. every crappy demo/unsigned track i hear these days i can hear d-verb being used on.

I think that d-verb is great for post-production/tv/film work (that is where protools came from). But it's not the most musical reverb in the world.

Altiverb is really really really brilliant, particularly the plate impulse responses.
    Being a logic user, i use Space Designer (unbelievably good).

Wizooverb I used on two tracks I was doing for a friend of mine a while ago and it really suited the sound he was going for perfectly.

I've tried a few reverbs out over the past two years as I felt d-verb was awful.
    I'd recommend the PSP reverb, wizooverb, and altiverb.

sei046 wrote: »
    Yeah thats really good. I find one of my compressors takes up FAR too much of the compression :p

lol
    :D

wizoo sounds cheap imo

psp sound awful

altiverb is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Another vote for Oxford.
    CSR is cool too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭bedbugs

With CSR you get 4 seperate plugins. Plate, Room, Hall and Inverse. They really are high end as far as software reverb goes. I use CSR a lot despite the UAD Plate 140 being my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

I use wavearts masterverb a lot. The wavesrts powersuite is a very good investment.
    wavearts.com

bedbugs wrote: »
    With CSR you get 4 seperate plugins. Plate, Room, Hall and Inverse. They really are high end as far as software reverb goes. I use CSR a lot despite the UAD Plate 140 being my favourite.

Yeas CSR a real nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

Look under the covers of any hit single and you will find DVerb, don't knock it! if it suits a certain sound use it! don't be put off because it came free or sounds basic.
    If the suit fits........

Advertisement