Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any opinions on this bike??

• 08-05-2008 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

http://www.bikebuyersguide.ie/Bikedetail.aspx?CBGID=&ID=1923761&NumPics=3&Make=Honda&Model=VARADERO%20125&frmFilter=#

I am 6'1 and am going to use it for getting into work and back about 13 miles or so, I am on a proovisional and have booked the bike 2 bike course in Mondello park for tuesday,

Just looking for some friendly advice,

Know nothing about bike prices, but working in the motor trade understand the idea, however they dont seem to be priced similarly to cars, in that th prices are quiete varied for similar bikes etc,

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

only 2g's... Id snap it up... small engine though it is
    if you dont want something big it sounds like a good deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Varadero is a decent bike for beginners, particularly if you're 6 ft 1.
    Interesting that the condition is described as 'good'.

This one is at least being sold by a dealer, so you could agree some form of warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Yeh Krusty I was thinking that too, I knwo a few fellas with bikes and one who is a car mechanic and used to do trials so I can get him to look at it for me,

The box on the back looks like it would be handy too, some people have said I will outgrow the 125 very quick, I dont know because I have no experience of them :mad: Any opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

gabgab wrote: »
    some people have said I will outgrow the 125 very quick, I dont know because I have no experience of them Any opinions?

A 125 is a good bike to learn on, but you may end up looking for something a bit more powerful quite quickly, particularly if you're getting the biking bug. A restricted 600 or 500 could be a good compromise. It depends in part on what you'll be using it for, but riding a 125 on a main road and becoming a moving obstacle as the bike tops out at about 80km/h if there's a headwind can be a pain. Also it can be handy having the power in reserve to accelerate at times, which will be more limited on a 125.

Either way, I'd highly recommend a bit of training once you get the bike to set you on the right road.

Would it really top out at that sort of speed?? Just thinking if I wanted to head down the country etc,

It just sits in my price bracket nicely for now,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

I had the varadero as my first bike before moving onto a restricted bandit.
    Couldn't fault it and felt it was a nice bike to build experience on. I'm 6ft1 also and it suited me perfectly.

If after a year you want to trade up you'll have no trouble selling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

gabgab wrote: »
    Would it really top out at that sort of speed?? Just thinking if I wanted to head down the country etc,

It just sits in my price bracket nicely for now,

It supposedly has a top speed of 120ish km/h but in practise you may find it hard to sustain or reach that if riding into a headwind or uphill.

I wouldn't let that alone put you off if you're keen on it- it'll do the job, just within certain limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

lukester wrote: »
    It supposedly has a top speed of 120ish km/h but in practise you may find it hard to sustain or reach that if riding into a headwind or uphill.
    Sure how could you go any faster? The only roads you're supposed to do 120km/hr on are motorways, and you're not allowed to use a motorway on a provisional license.
    <tongue firmly in cheek>

You can get the box on the back easily as an aftermarket part, so don't let that be the deciding factor for which bike you go for. Lots of people speak highly of the 125cc Varadero. I did my purgatory on a CBR250, but you don't see as many of those on the road as you used to.. Don't forget that legally you're power restricted until 2 years after you pass your test. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sure how could you go any faster? The only roads you're supposed to do 120km/hr on are motorways, and you're not allowed to use a motorway on a provisional license.
    <tongue firmly in cheek>

You can get the box on the back easily as an aftermarket part, so don't let that be the deciding factor for which bike you go for. Lots of people speak highly of the 125cc Varadero. I did my purgatory on a CBR250, but you don't see as many of those on the road as you used to.. Don't forget that legally you're power restricted until 2 years after you pass your test. :o

But you are restricted to 25kw or 0.16kw/kg, you can get a more powerful bike then a 125 4 stroke if you want.

If you look on this link it gives all the bikes you can ride, may be a better option there.

http://www.magireland.org/33bhp.htm

OP have a look at UK bikes, Irish bikes in your price range tend to be rough but in the UK they generally look after their bikes better. Only thing is you'd have to get the bike transported to Ireland as you can't use a prov outside Ireland

http://www.bikebuyersguide.ie/Bikedetail.aspx?CBGID=&ID=1915081&NumPics=5&Make=Yamaha&Model=DT%20125&frmFilter=Default#

Thanks for that List Del, its made it a little easier,

I need to decide which style of bike I want, but with no riding experience its har, I think that type of stood or sat up very straight kind of bike would suit me a bit better,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

the best thing to do OP is to go to a shop and sit on a few and try then out for size and really just see what they look like up close - i have the oppsite problem to you being 5'1 :D so this is a must for me! I got my current bike (shadow 600) in JPs in Pearse Street and found them brilliant to deal with.

Yeh I agree, reckon it is the way to go. But big big thanks to Del205, I looked up VRT on the varadero, I can have one in the country 3 years newer for the same money according to the VRT calculator,

Looks like it is a lot less detailed than cars, which is great news for us :D:D:D

Advertisement