Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P.E in your school...

Options
  • 08-05-2008 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

From talking to people in college I am amazed that P.E was not compulsory for them in 5th and 6th year etc.

In my opinion it is one of the most important classes in the timetable and I was really surprised that for many of my friends it was either a choice of a study class or P.E. This seems ridiculous.

In all the schools in my local area P.E was complusory.

I know people will reply with the "study is more important in 6th year" / "P.E in our school is crap anyway" arguements but I'd appreciate your responses in the poll.

In 6th year in my school P.E is.... 32 votes

Complusory - the majority of people take part.
    0% 0 votes
    Complusory - but loads of people get excused.
    31% 10 votes
    We do a study class instead.
    37% 12 votes
    What's P.E??
    31% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Once a week. Technically compulsary but not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

We have two 40 minute PE classes a week. There are about 20 people in my class. We had 4 people doing PE last week. It's compulsory and if you get caught skipping it you get in trouble, but loads of people don't do it anyway.

PE in my school is crap anyway. ;p

After being promised a PE Hall 'by the time I enter 1st year' when I was in 6th class (1996/97), my old school has just finished construction on it. So I think you should factor in that some schools don't have the facilities in place, and so don't offer PE at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

We get NO P.E. in 6th year.
    Is no other school like this?

At the end of last year we made a petition and got signitatures off every single student in the year, presented it to the principal and that was the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

In 6th year in my school P.E is....
    Complusory - the majority of people take part.
    Complusory - but loads of people get excused.
    We do a study class instead.
    What's P.E??

Those are not adequate options. My response is:

Compulsory - but about half don't go (aside from any excuses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Randomness wrote: »
    In my opinion it is one of the most important classes in the timetable

Oh, and thats absolutley ridiculous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

Myth wrote: »
    After being promised a PE Hall 'by the time I enter 1st year' when I was in 6th class (1996/97), my old school has just finished construction on it. So I think you should factor in that some schools don't have the facilities in place, and so don't offer PE at all!

Indeed but what's a poll if you haven't inadvertently left out some options?! Agh no, I'd say they could answer under "What's P.E?"
    BJC wrote: »
    Oh, and thats absolutley ridiculous :D

Really? I completely disagree. I think it's absolutely necessary that people do P.E in school. In fact the Irish system is a joke.

It's important that your weekly school timetable is about more than just the subjects your going to be examined about in June. There's more to life.

Plus as un-coordinated as one might be it's actually pretty fun and is a great break from sitting in a classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

In our school 6th years who do h. maths got double study instead of P.E. Made me happy :) not the rest though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

We have a double class once a week, but our school is very sporty with great facilities (no joke, our school has nearly the best facilities of public schools in the country) Eg, they spent 5000 on the senior hurlers ths year, and they didnt even manage to get far!

But yeh, PE, ist hit and miss, good craic and all that, but a lot of lads get notes and what not for stupid injuries! No one ever goes on the hop from it though!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

If Anything, when i was Doing my LC, PE was a great way to take your mind off your exams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

We have no PE,no study class and yet have 3 classes devoted to religion in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

We haven't had PE since 4th year. There is no option for P.E for 5th and 6th year in our school. It sucks really, because it used to be a nice break from things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Welllll
    We had P.E. in fifth year but it was only all the "lads" playing soccer while me along with the girls sat up at the balcony doing homework :P
    I couldn't really care really

titan18 wrote: »
    We have no PE,no study class and yet have 3 classes devoted to religion in a week

that's really strange because I had p.e and 3 religion classes a week.
    no study classes though. we also did i.t.

Redisle wrote: »
    We haven't had PE since 4th year. There is no option for P.E for 5th and 6th year in our school. It sucks really, because it used to be a nice break from things.

I could be wrong but I think there is some sort of legal requirement that you have to have p.e. Of course like everything else i'm sure it's a big mess to try and figure it out or get it implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Randomness wrote: »
    that's really strange because I had p.e and 3 religion classes a week.
    no study classes though. we also did i.t.

IT lucky people,our school doesnt have computers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Myth wrote: »
    After being promised a PE Hall 'by the time I enter 1st year' when I was in 6th class (1996/97), my old school has just finished construction on it.QUOTE]

Same here, I was in 4th class when we applied for my secondary school & on our tour of the place we were told the hall would be built by the time we were in 1st year 2000... I drove by it today and they seem to be just doing the finishing touches. I'm gone out of there 3 years this summer!!:eek:

I have to say, I made excuses not to do PE. Mainly because I come from a sporting background and hated the way PE was taught, especially gymnastics, the teachers had no clue how to teach it. It ended up happening in 1st year that people in my class were asking e how to do cartwheels etc.

I just find PE in schools to be very boring and not everyone wants to play hockey or basketball or things like that. Not everyone is a sporty person

But at the same time, with the shockingly large amount of over weight kids in the country i think that PE should become compulsary in schools but that Mary Coughlan liaises with the Irish Sports Council or something to devise a new, fun plan to try suit everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm in 5th year and opted to take a study class instead. As the year progressed more and more people have switched to study because apparently PE was crap.

I didn't like PE because all we ever did from 1st-3rd year was play football which to be honest has too many 'Hero' players. Everytime we didn't do it for just one week it was "What the ****!? We haven't played football in ages!". They've started trying to force them to play something else and so now everybody thinks it's crap. :pac:

I'm not too fond of the idea of school focusing on all aspects of my life though. I'm there for education and naturally there's going to be a social aspect but I'd much rather take care of my own personal and physical development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

for anyone who thinks pe is part of a rounded education ask yourself is football and hurling really all there is regarding fitness? how many schools have yoga, dance, athletics and gymnastics as part of their program? pe is a joke when you consider most of the sports they use focus on keen players. team works are overrated, if you're going to have pe it needs to be done right, not just football or basketball but those other forms of fitness too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I think that really depends on the school. In my school we tend to rotate between sports (basketball, badminton, volleyball, tennis, unihoc, football), or fitness stuff (circuit training, athletics, yoga sometimes), and we've even done dance before because my school's pretty into hip-hop.

That said, in 6th year the quality of PE has declined because so few people do it.
    And yeah in every sport you're going to get people who are good but it doesn't mean nobody else can play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Once a week, double class on a wednesday, got worse and worse as the years went by, such good facilities and there so under utilised...

me and most of the 6th years just go to a study class instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

titan18 wrote: »

Same here. F*cking stupid. Their excuse for no PE is that there's no time to waste in sixth year. :rolleyes: Gowls.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭oleary91

Its compolsery but like nobody goes..Sometime I go to an extra maths class or I go hone cause we have pe last class on Thursday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Parsley wrote: »
    Same here. F*cking stupid. Their excuse for no PE is that there's no time to waste in sixth year. :rolleyes: Gowls.
    Thats seriously retarded, having no PE at all like and having religion classes...

I think the biggest problem in schools comes from the leadership at the top.
    From what I can see all these things like teachers not coming in, P.E not being implemented etc. It all stems from control at the top.

My principal and school was unbelievably strict but always fair and we never had problems like those that have been mentioned.

But I'm sure on the other hand there are strict principals out there and still negative things going on.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tis optional at my school, pe, study or lcvp class

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

We have double PE on a Monday afternoon (1:45 - 2:45) because our school ends earlier on Monday. It's compulsary, about 75% attend because we do different sports (soccer outside, volleyball, badminton and hockey) and the only way of getting out of it is a medical condition, illness or teacher's orders. A waste of time? It's like the only time you get to relax and goof off with everyone, since our big lunch is mostly filled with extra classes.

People complain it's a waste of time yet the majority of those complaining don't even participate, they just sit down gossiping about who has the ugliest shoes/hair or go to the computer room. Please, and Bebo isn't a waste of time?

We also get 2 study/free classes and have 3 religion classes a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

:(I have done and extra subject in the classes which could be considered free but my PE class is free.We only have it once a week ,but it is only 35 minutes and by the time you get changed you have to go to class so its put in a way where doing it is pointless because you can hardly do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

:(I have done and extra subject in the classes which could be considered free but my PE class is free.We only have it once a week ,but it is only 35 minutes and by the time you get changed you have to go to class so its put in a way where doing it is pointless because you can hardly do anything.

How come you're not allowed wear your PE clothes to school? 35 minutes?! What the hell? Isn't that a little short? The 1st years here get like 1 1/2 hours! (but they're first thing monday morning so they're sweaty for the whole day) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

How come you're not allowed wear your PE clothes to school? 35 minutes?! What the hell? Isn't that a little short? The 1st years here get like 1 1/2 hours! (but they're first thing monday morning so they're sweaty for the whole day) :P

No the PE class is between two classes on a monday morning :confused: two years ago 6th years got 4 PE classes a week and the funny thing is this yeah we got a new sports hall that we hardly can use after 5 years of going without.

Advertisement