Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card skimming

Options
  • 08-05-2008 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

My husband got a phone call from his bank on Tuesday to say that a total of €850 had been taken from his credit card in 4 separate ATM transactions in Italy over the weekend. Needless to say, he wasn't in Italy and other transactions made throughout the weekend can place him in Ireland.

He was told originally that his card was now cancelled, a new one would be sent to him and that he would not be liable for the stolen money.

He rang again today to see did he need to provide them with any further information and to get an update on the situation and he was told that he probably would have to pay the €850 as he had been negligent with his PIN. :eek:

Clearly his card has been skimmed somewhere and even though he would always be careful when entering his PIN, someone obviously spotted it somewhere. Does anyone know what the situation is here? Will he be liable for the money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Depends on who is Credit card is with!

If he was negligent with his PIN, then he is liable and rightly so. In the end, a PIN is the same as a set of house/car keys. By giving your keys away to randomers (or not doing anything to prevent randomers from getting them), your pretty responsible if your house/car gets robbed!

That said, there are many devious ways for getting someone's PIN, so he may not have been overly negligent. Ultimately, it will be down to the Credit Card provider. Many are lenient and do refund the customer, although they are not legally obliged to do so.

Remember, always shield the keypad (at either the ATM or POS) when entering your PIN. If the POS device in the shop is in an open place and you notice the salesperson or another customer looking in the direction of the POS or are encroaching in your space - tell them to feck off! You're perfectly entitled to (although maybe not as crudely;)).

Hopefully he will be refunded and be more careful in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

He has been careful with it, that's the point! We've since spoken to the Financial Regulator who said that it all depends on the outcome of the investigation. As we both know he's been careful, I'm confident this will be sorted out and he'll be refunded. Still, lessons to be learned and all that. You can never be too paranoid.

By the way, the card is with AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

K_P wrote: »
    By the way, the card is with AIB.

I'd imagine you'll get your money back so. Let me know how he gets on!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

dotsman wrote: »
    I'd imagine you'll get your money back so. Let me know how he gets on!

I'm glad to report there's a happy ending to this story. The full amount was refunded, as was the 4 €3.90 cash advance fees. So fair play AIB! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Just had €1000 taken from my current a/c, from italy as well. card has never been out of my sight and at a loss to explain as to how it happened. All detials have been reported to bank and guards so should get money back but very curious as to how it happened.
    just lucky I checked balance before bank holiday weekend, otherwise another 1500 at least would ahve been taken. beware!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

AFAIK Italy hasn't implemented the chip and pin system, so your CC can be used without knowledge of the PIN

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Deadeyes wrote: »
    AFAIK Italy hasn't implemented the chip and pin system, so your CC can be used without knowledge of the PIN

You always need a pin for an ATM transaction, even with old fashioned mag stripe cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Anyone have any clues as to how this has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

pirelli wrote: »
    Anyone have any clues as to how this has happened.

Fairly simple, numbers are skimmmed here, sent abroad (italy seems popular now) and fake cards are used to take money from ATM and CC machines.

Advertisement