Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car acting up- 2 weeks before driving test!!!

Options
  • 08-05-2008 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I need some advice please!!!
    I am doing my driving test in 2 weeks. There la couple of weeks ago the car started making a funny noise. It sounds like a dripping tap and sounds like it's coming from under the dashboard on my side. The "drips" are irregular- could be one, then a gap, then 4 in a row- but they are continuous and happen as soon as I turn the key. I tried looking under the bonnet but couldn't see anything that might be catching and the noise can only be heard when you're in the car.

Then all of a sudden early last week the noise stopped. I thought grand, maybe something got in somewhere and was rattling but it must have got out somehow. So a few days went by with no issues. Suddenly on Friday it happened again ad wouldn't stop. I get into the car yesterday morning and the noise is gone again!

What is worrying me-
    1- I have my driving test in 2 weeks and have been reading, studying, getting lessons and pre-tests, because I am determined to pass first time. What if the noise suddenly starts happening again on the day and I show up for the test to be told "Sorry you can't be tested with the car making noises like that"???? Is this likely to happen?

2- I can't bring it to a mechanic unless the noise is happening- again, the noise could disappear until it's too late before my test!!! Also I have lessons booked with my instructor and have to have my car for them- I can't reschedule the lessons because my instructor is all booked up.

Doing the test in someone else's car isn't really an option- the instructor said I could use his but I don't want to be driving a strange car in the test. I know my car inside out- 99% of my driving experience is solely in this car- I really don't want to have to learn another car's pedals/size/all that stuff that varies between cars!

Please help, I'm only driving 6 months and am absolutely determined to pass first time! By the time I have done my test I will have spent 760 on lessons, about 70 on books, the test fee, and god knows how much time studying!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sounds like it could be a leaking heater matrix (ie coolant dripping out of the heater under the dash) Have you checked for water/moisture in the cab (under the mats in the footwell) or under the car?

Could be a simple fix (just tightening a clamp) could be very expensive (dash out, new matrix)

But if it is a leaking heater matrix, you definetly want it looked at, because the last thing you want to happen during your driving test is for a pipe to come off and boiling hot water spraying all over your legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

peasant wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be a leaking heater matrix (ie coolant dripping out of the heater under the dash) Have you checked for water/moisture in the cab (under the mats in the footwell) or under the car?

Could be a simple fix (just tightening a clamp) could be very expensive (dash out, new matrix)

But if it is a leaking heater matrix, you definetly want it looked at, because the last thing you want to happen during your driving test is for a pipe to come off and boiling hot water spraying all over your legs.

Hi Peasant,
    I haven't noticed any water in the footwell while driving anyway. I will check under the car to see if I can see any leaks. Also will check the coolant- I filled it to the max mark a few weeks ago so hopefully any difference will be obvious.

I had an issue a few weeks ago with the car overheating while sitting in traffic but I brought it to the mechanic and they out in a new thermostat and new fan switch and the car was running great after that. Until now!!!

I can't wait to get rid of this car, am dying to get a new car but don't want to so soon before my test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

is there any sign of a leak ? if there is no sign of a leak either in the footwells or under the car after it has been parked for some time then id doubt you are hearing a drip of liquid. perhaps its an electrical Click instead - as always it reallllyyyyyyy does help if you mention what type of car it is !!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Robbie247

I am a mechanic of many years and i would say that if it is not overheating or losing water or showing wetness on the floor under the area you are hearing the noise from, stop worrying !! Clicking sounds could be from anything, alive or otherwise.Car driving ok ? forget expensive repairs!! Go for your test and the best of luck!! Remember for the test to drive by the book, you can drive as you like when you have your licence.:)

i just had a look at the coolant level and it has dropped from the MAX mark to the MIN mark, within a few weeks. Is this an issue? The car is not overheating at all. Maybe it's the warm weather?

I really don't want to go for my driving test if the car is working any less than perfect. I am nervous enough as it is :(

Stupid clicking noises, I would not give 2 you-know-what's otherwise because the car is working perfect but I don't want the tester to fail me over it.

Oh yeah it's a Punto. Got it for half nothing off my sister to learn in as I was broke at the time. I don't want to hear any Punto jokes by the way, heard them all before!!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i just had a look at the coolant level and it has dropped from the MAX mark to the MIN mark, within a few weeks. Is this an issue? The car is not overheating at all. Maybe it's the warm weather?

I really don't want to go for my driving test if the car is working any less than perfect. I am nervous enough as it is :(

Stupid clicking noises, I would not give 2 you-know-what's otherwise because the car is working perfect but I don't want the tester to fail me over it.

Oh yeah it's a Punto. Got it for half nothing off my sister to learn in as I was broke at the time. I don't want to hear any Punto jokes by the way, heard them all before!!! :p

i'm no expert but that cant be good, the coolant dropping from that level so quickly, is there any gunk around the oil filler cap? sounds like it could be a leak or head gasket

The head gasket already went on this car a year ago (as seems to be standard with Puntos!!!). The car actually passed the NCT with the head gasket acting up :eek:

I will check for any "mayo" in the oil. I checked a few weeks ago and there was none but it mught have accumulated in the meantime.

I think the noise is something hitting off something. If it was a leak surely it would affect the car's performance? I'm no expert though!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭themullet

Hi there, it could be your water pump. I had a coolant problem on my audi a4 a few weeks ago. There was zero coolant in it. The mechanic took one look and said straight away that it was a water pump problem. Got it replaced and it's fine now. I hope this helps

Cool thanks, how much was it to get it fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Thats a common thing in puntos its air in the heater matrix probably wasnt fully bled when the stat was replaced.
    Top up the coolant and drive it on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Esm

hey people..

Like the mechanic said earlier , if its not overheating or there are no obvious mechanical or driving problems dont worry about it, its a punto so these things are expected trust me, had one for years a long time ago and there was rattles and noises all the time!
    Just be carefull that on the day of your test that there are no warning lights or engine manegment lights on your dash, the tester will not bring you out on the lap otherwise..
    For all the theory questions and roadsigns you will possibly be asked check this out..
    www.erneschoolofmotoring.com/drivingtestquestions.html
    www.erneschoolofmotoring.com/roadsigns.html

You can test yourself with the actual examiners sign sheet by clicking here
    www.erneschoolofmotoring.com/images/oraltest.pdf

and for everthing else you need to know about the day log onto our driving test page at
    www.erneschoolofmotoring.com/drivingtests.html

Good luck , keep cool and drive like your not a learner..

Stay safe nd between the ditches..
    www.erneschoolofmotoring.com ...

Advertisement