Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What if......

• 08-05-2008 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

OK this is the land of make-believe but what if

With D-Day in the league fast approaching , What would people think if Chelsea or Man Utd this week came out in public and stated that they where going to reward the Bolton or Wigan players with cash rewards if their team won their match against their opposition on Sunday. Or even cash reward for any player scoring the winning goal in these games.

Now remember all this is been done in full public view, and they are only asking for Bolton/Wigan to do want they are supposed to be trying to do anyway i.e Win.

Also
    Is there any difference between this and what the King/Prince of some Arab country did at the World Cup a few years back ie cash+car bonus for a win/goal .
    In fact I think a lot of Clubs have win/goal bonuses.

So OPINIONS ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It happens all the time in Spain, according to Kevin Keegan last week.

Nothing wrong with it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Part of teh laws of teh game (if not of the land?) are that all bonuses must be contractually based. IE if you get €500 for a win then that has to be in your contract. This is to avoid "bungs" and make sure that tax is fully paid on all earnings. Someone (Anelka?) caused a kerfuffle a while back when they claimed they were getting "off teh books" bonuses, can't rem the details.

So no, it's against the rules and would (at the least) trigger a disrepute charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I remember when I was reading Gazza's autobiography, he said that after a certain game (may have been the Rome derby which he equalised in the 89th min.) Cragnotti came in with a big wad of cash and handed it around to the players for a job well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

When I was in Leeds the other week I told Dougie Freedman I'd buy him a pint if he scored.

He scored 2 :)

He drinks Stella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Part of teh laws of teh game (if not of the land?) are that all bonuses must be contractually based. IE if you get €500 for a win then that has to be in your contract. This is to avoid "bungs" and make sure that tax is fully paid on all earnings. Someone (Anelka?) caused a kerfuffle a while back when they claimed they were getting "off teh books" bonuses, can't rem the details.

So no, it's against the rules and would (at the least) trigger a disrepute charge.

that was Haselbaink who claimed Abramovich came into the dressing room before a big CL game and offered the players a bonus if they qualified.

after an investigation it was ruled he "made it up", sure!!

anyway it is not illegal if it is a third party afaik, the Sun do it when low division teams play pl teams. H&W's keeper was offered a car and a holiday by them to keep a clean sheet against liverpool.

• Advertisement

That's the one I was thinking of! I had a suspision it was Chelski but I thought it was Anelka. Of course we now know that it was made up, so we can rest easy in our beds...

With newspapers or other 3rd parties I would imagine that a special contract is drawn up for one off games. If it was properly documented then there may be nothing illegal about it, but I'd still be surprised if it didn't end up in a disrepute charge - that's a catch all designed to cover exactly this kind of thing.

How is it disrepute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's a slippery slope to be going down - plus no amount of money will get Heskey playing any better :) (Que Heskey Hatrick Sunday!! :eek:)

Boggles wrote: »
    It's a slippery slope to be going down
    Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's a slippery slope to be going down - plus no amount of money will get Heskey playing any better :) (Que Heskey Hatrick Sunday!! :eek:)

If you win the title on GD on Sunday you can thank Emile Heskey for it all the same.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    Why?

Where does it stop? Lets say a team fighting for relegation have a player that another team want, that player has a clause in his contract saying that if his team get relegated he can leave for half nothing?? That teams next 4 opponents get win bonus from the team that want that player.

That is just one example.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If you win the title on GD on Sunday you can thank Emile Heskey for it all the same.

Don't worry, I was singing about him that Monday night in the 92nd minute!!

Actually I think it was a Wednesday!! Either way legend! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Where does it stop? Lets say a team fighting for relegation have a player that another team want, that player has a clause in his contract saying that if his team get relegated he can leave for half nothing?? That teams next 4 opponents get win bonus from the team that want that player.

That is just one example.

yeh but the players should be playing to their best anyway, so you could also say it shouldn't affect their performance. and if a player needs that to be motivated i wouldnt want him in my team.

DesF wrote: »
    How is it disrepute?

Because teh implication is that the team being offered the money wouldn't really be trying otherwise. At the very least it is the thin end of a wedge - it would damage the reputation of football and that is what the disrepute charge is there for.

The difference between a newspaper offering a car to a non-league player and a rival club offering a cash reward is vested interest. The newspaper has no direct, vested interest in who wins a cup game - they sell papers either way. Man Utd / Chelsea do have a vested interest in teh outcome of each others matches and offering money in the hope of influencing that outcome would be wrong and disreputable, in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't want my club to do anything like that and would be extremly embarrassed if they did.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    yeh but the players should be playing to their best anyway, so you could also say it shouldn't affect their performance. and if a player needs that to be motivated i wouldnt want him in my team.

A Prem player motivated by money, Perish the thought!!! :pac:

Advertisement