Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor flooring options

Options
  • 08-05-2008 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just looking for advice /suggestions on making our back garden a safer place to play for our 15mnth old who now wants to live outside.
    We have a split level back garden, with unforgiving paving close to house and 50/50 grass/paving on the upper level (which is about a 1 foot step up).
    I will probably have to fence off this step and add a gate, but the main thing is that I am considering soft flooring to go over some or all of the paving. I looked in Smyths and see tiles at 18 euro each (=52euro per sq m which is a tad dear if we have about 12-15 sq m)
    I've also looked online at softfloor.co.uk and safetyplay.co.uk aswell as ebay although shipping costs might be prohibitive.
    Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

http://www.toys.ie/Eva-BlueFoam-Mats-24X24X20-!D05294-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=84e6c81b-1268-44ff-8483-37f80fb353c9

Smyths also do the above which are suitable for playing on but do not provide significant fall protection.

I've two small boys who spend a lot of time on a cobblelock patio without coming to much harm. The step might need to be blocked off if you are going to leave the child unattended but while you are there you should encouraged them to climb it. They soon learn how to do it safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I agree, children need to learn safety, and if you don't let them get the odd little 'boo boo' then that won't happen. You cant wrap your child in bubble wrap.

As long as there is no obvious safety hazards, like a pond or sharp cornered step etc, then I would consider a grass/paved garden safe enough.

As said about, keep the step blocked until they are old enough to climb it on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

My parent's have stuff from softfloor.co.uk in a patch in their backgarden for my younger sister/nieces and nephews. They worked out a deal on the shipping. It's like the stuff you get in playgrounds and they can colour match it to the cobble work/paving you have. I'll try and post a pic if you'd like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I agree with shelli.

You can't wrap your kids in cotton wool, they have to learn that they have to be more careful on certain surfaces and a couple of little falls help this. At 18 months they are so low to the ground that it is very unlikely that they are going to have more than a minor cut knee or elbow from a fall.

I have a 2 year old and a 2 month old, our garden is on three levels, grass, deck and some paving, we had very few problems last summer when our daughter was about 18 months, just had to make sure all garden tools were put away and the shed was locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭fme

Hi all, thanks for the feedback.
    I agree and I think we'll stick with the paving there now. Just need to tidy up the place a bit and I guess theres no substitute for supervision anyway. No point in padding the floor if they then go off and eat a snail...ewww

• Advertisement
Advertisement