Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i claim customs charge back??

Options
  • 08-05-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Last week i bought 2 dvds from amazon.com and it was a buy one get one free offer so i bought 2 dvds that were worth $40 each but i was only charged for one due to the offer. So the total cost to my credit card was €33/$48 but amazon did not reflect this on the shipping label, they actually declared a value of $90 including postage so i got slapped with a customs charge of €16.98.

So i'm wondering if i can contact customs and show them the proof that i was charged $48 by amazon.com instead of $90, would i be entitled to get a refund for the customs charge?

any help/advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I doubt it. You are taxed on the declared value of the goods not the price you pay. The DVD are worth $90 incl shipping, Amazon where doing a 2 for 1 but they still cost $40 each.

It's the same in reverse. If the shipper under declares the value then you don't get hit with tax, but that is illeagal so don't do it;)

Advertisement