Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Mondeo Door Noise

Options
  • 08-05-2008 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

It pains me to have to type this...but I'm hoping someone else has had a similar experience and was able to get to the bottom of it. New car, bought a month ago, thought it was the same problem I had in my last Mondeo, that turned out to be a loose handbrake cable and boy did it make a racket, when it was put up on the ramp in the garage they would tip off the cable and it would temporarily go back in to place and make me look like an eejit when it was test driven and then after a shock was replaced, we finally discovered it was the handbrake cable.

Anyway, in the new car, a noise comes from the central pillar on the passenger side, it's not from an annoying passenger, but it is a sort of stress creak or click, if I go over a bump or on take off, or braking, driving on uneven surfaces. I've had it back to the garage twice and they have stripped away the central pillar and checked everything, car returned, 'fixed' but after a few miles, noise returns. This lead me to my theory that they were doing something that was temporarily fixing the problem but not actually fixing it. I opened the back door, and swung it open and let it shut itself a few times, noise disappears but returns after door settles within about twenty minutes of driving. I got out a spanner and tightened all the nuts holding the rear door in place, one or two of them were a little loose, but the noise still returns after the door is given time to settle. So it looks like the simple process of opening and shutting the door 'fixes' the problem for a while, anyone got any idea how I might fix this permanently, please!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Could it be a squeaky rubber door seal. I find with creaks if you spray the area liberally with 100% silicon grease (it doesn't stain) and wipe the excess it allows things to move without causing a noise.

It may be worth a try !

Also try moving the passenger seat to a different position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Thanks for the suggestion, will give it a try, it does sound metallic, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i have a 05 focus and theres a creekin noise like that cos theres a rubber seal on the door and on the body of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

First off, my sympathies, I detest rattles in cars, I've not yet owned a car that didn't rattle to some degree! Very annoying to say the least, and very hard to track them down and fix.
    Dealers tend to be poor at resolving stuff like this too in my experience, and may even make your problems worse... e.g. screwdriver marks all over interior trim, broken clips, that type of thing. And with most rattles, they're intermittent and only your ears are tuned to them, so the mechanic won't necessarily hear it or notice it at all.

The rubber door seals is a good place to check, plenty of silicone lubricant on those might help, and on the window rubbers too. It could be a fault in the electric window mechanism too possibly.
    Try moving the seat belt adjuster up and down, that could be a source too.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

I HAD similar problem in July 2007 with new model mondeo except mine was back door on drivers side.Symptoms were identical to OP's.

My solution: back to main dealer from whom I purchased,service desk asked a mechanic to test drive car accompanied by me. Twenty minutes later mechanic had heard enough to diagnoise the problem.Booked in the car for door to be attended to under warranty.Problem solved and never reoccured.

Good luck getting yours sorted.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies, tried the door seals last night and thought I had it sorted, But this morning in the cold it was happening again, seems not to happen when the weather is hot due to some sort of expansion. I've been to the dealer twice and it's a lot of hassle to get there, Port any chance of finding out what they actually did to fix the problem, it would be a huge help if I knew and I could just bring it back and let them sort it. It really is wrecking my head. I'll send you a PM just in case, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

did you have a look on fordmondeo.org ? for somebody else with the same problems as you?
    http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/773703/point/183_773746/post/new/#NEW:)

That is very curious. Thanks for that link, now I know I'm not mad :) After reading that thread and all the ones above, I tried the seals again and I noticed there is a piece of rubber running the length of the car body just beneath the footwell, this appears loose and I was able to click it back in to place. It has definitely reduced road noise and the noise seems to be gone, but I didn't go very far as it was late last night. Will post later if problem is solved.

Just bumping this to see if anyone else has had the same problem, I thought I had it sorted but no joy. Port got his sorted but the garage need me to supply his reg no so they can track the case, no joy on that front either.

Just wanted to update this post as I know lots of people are having the same problem. I dropped the car to the dealer on Tuesday and they had it until Friday, thankfully the noise coming from the central pillar is fixed. Apparently there were two panels shifting and the guys in the body repair shop located them, did a bit of work on them and lubricated the area. Thankfully the noise is gone, although I was annoyed to be without the car for so long, the end justified the means. I hope I haven't put the mockers on it by posting!

• Advertisement
Advertisement