Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband self install CD

• 08-05-2008 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I recently got the self install kit from Eircom which included the modem, Cd, manuls etc. The wife threw out the box with the CD in it, and I need to reinstall everything. Does anybody have a link to where I can download this cd?

Cheers,

Hobart.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You don't need the cd if it's the silver Netopia 2247 Wireless modem. There are no drivers on the cd or needed to set it up. All thats on the cd are the user manuals and a utility for setting up the wireless security.

Just plug in with the yellow ethernet cable and you're done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

kaizersoze wrote: »
    You don't need the cd if it's the silver Netopia 2247 Wireless modem. There are no drivers on the cd or needed to set it up. All thats on the cd are the user manuals and a utility for setting up the wireless security.

Just plug in with the yellow ethernet cable and you're done.

Thanks for the prompt reply, and you'll have to excuse my ignorance/stupidity on this, but I do recall that there was a utility for generating a "WEP??" key or something like that. How do I generate that security key without the CD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

I dont have the link, but when i lost my cd i could download the setup file from www.eircom.net

Its prob in the support section.

Hobart wrote: »
    Thanks for the prompt reply, and you'll have to excuse my ignorance/stupidity on this, but I do recall that there was a utility for generating a "WEP??" key or something like that. How do I generate that security key without the CD?

You don't need to generate it. It's already stored in the modem.

To retrieve it:
    Connect with the yellow ethernet cable.
    Open Internet Explorer and type http://192.168.1.254 into the address bar.
    Now you're into the modem settings.
    In the left menu click 'Wireless'.
    In the main page you'll see your WEP key.
    It's the long 26 character entry named 'Key 1'.

WEP isn't very secure so while you're in the settings page:
    Change the encryption type to 'WPA-PSK'.
    In the box provided underneath type in your own password. The longer the better.
    At the bottom click 'Save changes' & 'Yes' to reboot.

Unplug the cable and when asked for the network key when connecting to the wireless, type in the password you created in the settings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you've previously used the CD then you can also use this to recover the default WEP key.

http://s4dd.yore.ma/eircom/

So can your neighbours, so once you have access to the router switch the encryption to WPA and create a new long key for it. Eircom should have sent you a flyer some months back with your bill about this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Spear wrote: »
    If you've previously used the CD then you can also use this to recover the default WEP key.

http://s4dd.yore.ma/eircom/

So can your neighbours, so once you have access to the router switch the encryption to WPA and create a new long key for it. Eircom should have sent you a flyer some months back with your bill about this.
    Spear, should you be posting that link?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Spear, should you be posting that link?

It's been the subject of a lengthy discussion on here before, it made the RTE news and other websites such as The Register, there's no illegal content and doesn't violate the charter. Besides it does the same thing as the same tool freely downloadable from Eircom.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Ok, I'll take you word for it.

Spear wrote: »
    It's been the subject of a lengthy discussion on here before, it made the RTE news and other websites such as The Register, there's no illegal content and doesn't violate the charter. Besides it does the same thing as the same tool freely downloadable from Eircom.

It still provides a means for people to bypass others security which Eircom have taken measures to prevent. It made the news, not because it's ok but because it was newsworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 halley19

hey,

Im just installing the braodband and it wont complete because its saying that its seraching for the adapter and says please insert or connect now...i dont know wah tto do can any1 help please??

thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 halley19

my laptop dose not pick up any signal at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aerocell

Did you insert the wireless adapter?
    Are the drivers installed for it?

Advertisement