Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Garden Project!

Options
  • 08-05-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

hey all,

Since I moved in 3 years ago the last 15 foot of my garden was overgrown, unlevel and generally a big mess.
    I have since cleared it out and started to look at what I want to do with it.
    Because of the orientation of the houst this part of the garden gets the most sun and for the longest so I want to deck part of it and move my shed to the other part.
    the main problem I have is that this area slopes down by about 8:1, so its basically 2 foot lower at the very end.
    The other problem is that the soil is all back fill and junk and branches. totally unstable.
    So I have cleared most of this out so that I am down to normal soil at the very end of it.

So, my 3 issues are:
    1) I need to continue the fencing between my neighbours garden and my own. This is concrete fence posts with wooden panels. The concern is how can I fix the concrete posts into the ground on this loose, crappy/sloping soil?
    2) I need to move my shed (8x10 metal) back into this new area. Again how can I do this with the current ground conditions?
    3) I want to deck out the remaining area (10x12), same issues as above.
    I have taken some pictures to try and show the issues clearer.
    My initial (hazy) thoughts are that I need some sort of retaining wall so that I can hold back the soil to level the ground for the shed and also allow me to fix the fence posts.
    Then I envisage hiring a post hole digger and creating footings (probably 3/4 for the 12 foot) and just using fence/deck posts to level the deck.

so, am I crazy, is there a better way?
    One of my concerns is how do I stop the retaining wall? should I turn the corner with it to create a dam for the soil the shed will be on?
    Should I build the wall across the entire back wall and use that to support the deck?

I was thinking the wall would be 9" cavity blocks, maybe 4 courses with a pier at each end (its ~ 10 foot long) would I also need one in the middle?

(I will also be filling against he wall with pea gravel, a waterproof membrane against the wall with copper pipes draining out of the wall every 3/4 foot)

Here are the pics. Appreciate anyone who has read this far and has some suggestions :D
    fenceposts2qv8.th.jpg
    This is where the two fence posts need to go. I have dumped the gravel board here to show the approx locations. The first post should be ok, the second is on dodgy ground.
    overall2ka2.th.jpg
    Here is the site in general, the shed will be fro the tree back to the railings.
    trench2nz1.th.jpg
    This is the trench I have dug out to get down to a firm footing. I would need to go down further for the wall foundations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

43 views and no comments?
    Anyone even willing to say "ARGH! you are crazy, leave it to the pros" or better still "Yeah I did something similiar, here are some tips" :o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Uummm, I am doing something similar :) Well its a little larger but personally I am looking forward to it and probably get more satisfaction in the end.

I have one area which is 92m long and 9m at narrowest to 13m at its widest all along the side of the house which I have to take all the stone off, level, roll and seed :) then I have another 46 sqm at the front to do also.
    So when you have finished there GeeBo you are welcome down to mine ;)

:)
    Id prefer yours, at least you have no construction (just hours of backbreaking work)

Im more worried about the decisions Im going to have to make regarding the retaining wall. I know there is another thread on here about a curved retaining wall, but my question is more about do I need one :o

I know what you mean about the satisfaction. All Ive done is dig a 20 x 3 x 5' trench, but Im already immensely proud :D

cheers anyways and goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Greebo,

I am not an expert on this stuff but I would say in your case sleepers would likely do the job for you and save a lot of messing around with retaining walls. They would also tie in well with the decking.

Its not really clear in your post or photos but I guess you are looking to "retain" the soil along side that green fence and then also forwards of that between the current lawn and the mound of soil ?

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

along by the neighbours build a retaining wall, inside the wall place the concrete posts (put a good wheel barrow of lean mix up against each) when there set put in the drainage stone

Then level off the base for the shed
    Will you be putting in a concrete base for the shed and If so what height will the shed be in relation to the deck you'll need 4"of concrete for the base

Build the deck on the fence posts, concreted in, use treated timber and gravel in the bottom of each hole (drainage)

for the front you could use sleepers but then you'll have a 2odd foot drop into the garden will yuo be putting a hand rail on the deck? Would it be easier to slope this area down into the garden or have a tiered effect made of flowerbeds

Maybe some more photos would make it a bit clearer

• Advertisement

Heres a front on view from the existing garden.
    front2dm9.th.jpg
    You can just see the tree in the top right corner of the picture. I want to move the shed back as close the the railings as I can get it, so thats its behind the tree. The new fence/posts will need to be installed before I do this, then hopefully the shed will go tight against them (like it currently is)
    Once I fill back in behind whatever retaining system I install I shouldnt have any excess soil and the new area will be level with the existing grass.

If I dont have to retain all the area then I wont, but I need something to shore up the slope between myself and next door so that I can install the last of the fence posts.

However, I also need something to hold the shed up.
    Would it be easier to build a subframe for the shed in the same manner as I am building the deck, maybe sheet it with OSB or something?

What it used to look like before I started :)
    before2sh7.th.jpg

Current Garden Plan
    currentgardenis6.th.jpg

New Garden Plan
    newgardenqr7.th.jpg

Cheers for all the help guys

@bauderline
    How long will sleepers (the "new" ones) last in an installation like this?
    Should I be looking to protect them with a waterproof membrane or will the drainage gravel/etc be enough for them?

I think you are correct that this would be an easier solution, also, it means more work for the fence post digger/auger I needed to hire anyway so its more economic :)

Anyone got any comments about placing the shed on a subframe (similar to the deck) rather than pouring a footing for it?

Thanks again lads.

Advertisement