Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 4 Announced

Options
  • 08-05-2008 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

From http://www.idsoftware.com:

''Production has begun on DOOM 4™, the next journey into the legendary DOOM universe. We are expanding our internal team and are currently hiring to work on this highly anticipated title.

"DOOM is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "It's critical for id Software to have the best creative minds in-house to develop games that meet the standards synonymous with our titles."

The DOOM franchise is one of the most recognizable and important in gaming history, having been named "one of the ten most influential games of the decade" by PC Gamer and "the #1 game of all time" by GameSpy. DOOM 4 will join the award-winning series which has consistently topped sales charts throughout the world.''

So what's it going to be like, more action-orientated like the classic Doom games or another scare-athon in the dark?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

*Loads Shotgun* :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

*loads stickytape mod* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

bring back satanic deamon hordes from originals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I wonder will it take as long as 3, that took years didn't it, hopefully it won't be another it's too dark to see anything fiasco

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

YE i loved 1 & 2 but i couldent even finish 3 it was far too boring. i remember the beta very drunk at 4 in the morning years and years ago thinking it was going to be a great game its just not that much fun.

Lets hope 4 brings it back to what it was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

DOOM3 was the most overhyped pieces of crap ever.

What a letdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Geff wrote: »

What a letdown.

I thought it was quite good in retrospect. Then again, I wasn't expecting a miracle, just plain dooming with a twist:pac:
    Apart from Quake 4, the id games are pretty consistent in terms of gameplay.
    Half life 2 was more of a letdown for me imo, wasn't that impressed with Episode 2 either. Half life 1 ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Geff wrote: »

What a letdown.

I enjoyed Doom3 and I'm lookinf forward to Doom4. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It was a good game, but in a world filled with decent FPS' - it lagged behind. Good luck to them though, here's hoping it works out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

MooseJam wrote: »
    hopefully it won't be another it's too dark to see anything fiasco

Since the game will most likely be set on earth like the second, there should be more open, brighter areas.
    At least the protagonist won't be stuck on mars. I reckon this will have a faster pace, as the pace in Doom 2
    was upped from the original to account for the whole "hell on earth" scenario.

ETQW size maps + hordes of hellspawn = teh win:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ohh goody, we'll get more run down a corridor, trigger invisible switch, out pops enemy from secret wall, kill him, run a bit further, spawn a new enemy behind you, look behind, kill him, run a bit further and repeat gameplay.*

can't wait.

* i'll loved to be proven wrong tbh.

Doom 3 was released in August 3, 2004. That is a long time ago, imagine what doom 4 will be like, i think they should improve the AI of the enemy's, for example..you jump into an air vent and the enemy chases you through the air vent, make it a much more survival than run and gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

If I'd have never played Doom before and someone stuck me in a locked room in an isolated and abandoned Castle that was falling apart where terrible atrocities had occured and bizarre rituals performed with desecrated corpses and told to play Doom 3 until I cleared it, I would have said at the end it was brilliant, even if the game did use alot of cheap tricks.

But I have played the first Doom games. If Doom 4 doesn't come back to it's legendary heritage then sod it. The best of graphics wouldn't revive my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I loved Doom 3 so I'de be up 4 ( :)) some more! I have a suspicion that it will be very action orientated, but in saying that I didn't think that Doom 3 was particularily lacking in that department...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Doom 3 was actually good just a remake of old, doom fans ahppy with that. But new fps players see it as a remash of **** they know.

ID make game engines now and Epic selling a lot more then them, i expect an engine thats the best thing ever on PC and costs you €1000000 to play it and quake 5 is made from it.

Splash Damage making RTCW for 360 and tbh that is far more important than any doom remake.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Rumored first screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Rumored first screenshot

*Chair*

Rumored first screenshot

Nothing a crappy flashlight cant fix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

damage models would be nice.
    Opening up on a demon horde with a chaingun should have ichor splattering across your hud, flaying the flesh from their bones with a hail of bullets.
    Not just a red texture and no visible damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech_5

Doom should be a showcase for their new engine, can't imagine them using constant corridors to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Doom 3 was actually good just a remake of old, doom fans ahppy with that. But new fps players see it as a remash of **** they know.

Doom 3 was nothing like doom 1 where it mattered gameplay it was a overly dark borefest with limited enemys to fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

In terms of graphics Doom 3 has held up very well, it's as good as if not better than most current games and it's 4 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

MooseJam wrote: »
    In terms of graphics Doom 3 has held up very well, it's as good as if not better than most current games and it's 4 years old

well in fairness once you have black perfected it doesn't need to change much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I've heard and read people refer to Doom 3 as survival horror in the first-person form many times. Discuss? Personally I really liked the idea of it being so dark you needed a light but it was a bad approach. It would have been cool if you could stick it to your helmet or something but needed to find batteries or it would run out and you'd be left blind in the darkness.

The most under-utilizied concept in the game was the PDA. It should have worked something like the notes and diaries of Resident Evil - screw the speech unless it's a short clip of somebody screaming while being eaten alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Cremo wrote: »
    ohh goody, we'll get more run down a corridor, trigger invisible switch, out pops enemy from secret wall, kill him, run a bit further, spawn a new enemy behind you, look behind, kill him, run a bit further and repeat gameplay.*

can't wait.

* i'll loved to be proven wrong tbh.

But this time it will do all those things but with prettier graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Slighty off topic but I've download Doom Shareware version 1.9 and I've got it installed and everything but the sound effects are crackling and cause major slowdowns! Anyone have any experience with it? I've googled to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Plenty of "old skoolers" disliked Doom 3, it has nothing to do with being a "new" FPS gamer or novice gamer. The game didn't deliver. I'd like to be happily surprised by Doom 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

I played through Doom 1 and 2 back in the day on a 386 and I thought Doom 3 was great- especially in co-op mode. Very much looking forward to this!

Advertisement