Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get a high ESB bill this month?

Options
  • 08-05-2008 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭

Well?
    Anyone get a strangely (and seemingly wrong) high bill this month from the ESB? Some friends living in Pearse St got their bill, and it was 3 times their normal bill, and nothing has changed at all!! Most of the units were night time units, but their next door neighbours also got a similar bill, but most of his were day time units, even though he's not there during the day.

Now, have ESB just hiked up their prices? Or is there some shenanigans going on?

Anyone in a similar situation?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

by any chance was their bill estimated???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I certainly did, its always around 150/70 and for some reason it jumped to 210 this month. The fact that we were on holidays for 16 days (the apartment empty and nothing left on) makes it even stranger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Sounds like T'Esb have some splainin' to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

jackncoke wrote: »
    by any chance was their bill estimated???

If they are estimated bills you only have to pay a certain % of the bill by law.
    (not sure of the exact % which needs to be paid)
    ESB OFTEN SEND TWO OR MORE ESTIMATED BILLS IN A ROW.
    Meters sometimes are read as little as 3 times a year
    Paying % however could leave you very short when you get the " a meter read bill "
    if the estimated bill are near the right amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah... the estimated bills tend to be lower than they should be so when a bill that has been read off the meter comes then it will also include any shortfall that was on the estimated bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Check your meter.
    Check meter reading on what you were billed - was this estimated?
    If the meter reading on the bill is higher, call ESB and they'll issue a new invoice based on your actual meter reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Mine jumped from €100 to €2874.95 this month.....but in hindsight I shouldnt have said it was OK for Duffys Circus to plug in a few geni's for the 2 days they were next door :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sizzler wrote: »
    Mine jumped from €100 to €2874.95 this month.....but in hindsight I shouldnt have said it was OK for Duffys Circus to plug in a few geni's for the 2 days they were next door :(

time to switch to batteries me thinks!! :p

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

:eek: You're not serious are ya? I hope they gave you a free elephant or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Since when do you plug generators into an electrical supply?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Ahem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Why would anyone plug a geni or "Generator" INTO the mains electricty. Your feeble attempt at humour has failed because of a lack of thought and consideration. Hang your head in shame insolent fool.

Surely This act would have resulted in a lower bill for you. In fact it could concievably have lead to the ESB owing Duffys money for supplying the National Grid with power.

Celticfire wrote: »
    Since when do you plug generators into an electrical supply?

Some clown drank all the petrol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Ahem!

Coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

clown wrote:
    Some Sizzler drank all the petrol :D

The only way to be sure your ESB/gas bills are correct is to keep giving them meter readings, as above posters have mentioned, the estimated readings can leave you out of pocket when the real bill comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This happened to us a few months ago, our usual bill is 150 and then one came in starting we owed then 400 odd. I thought this was a mistake, and rang up esb ready to east the head of some poor Indian chap that happened to get me. But alas, all of our current bills were estimates and this one was a meter reading. Me being outraged i did not accept these shenanigans one bit. So i had the sparks that shares the house with us to work out the price of a day time and night time unit, and work out how much we actually owed ( we were smart and took a meter reading the day we moved in ) And esb actually undercharged us by a hefty amount.

The only way to be sure your ESB/gas bills are correct is to keep giving them random meter readings from a bingo machine, as above posters have mentioned.

Solid advice there chief :rolleyes:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved. Move back to AH if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye well the meter actualyl does match up with the bill. So you reckon the previous ones were estimates, and this bill is basically jsut catchin up with what was owed over the previous x amount of time since the meter was read previously?

• Advertisement

It's more than likely that. Maybe check your previous bills if you still have them. They'll be marked as an estimate if they are. As I mentioned up there ^^ probably the best thing is to submit your own readings, especially if your meter isn't easily accessible.

Might be worth your while giving them a quick ring to clarify the reasons for the high bill. But 99% of the time that is the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Ye well the meter actualyl does match up with the bill. So you reckon the previous ones were estimates, and this bill is basically jsut catchin up with what was owed over the previous x amount of time since the meter was read previously?
    That would be my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the esb do strive to read everyones meter a minimum of 4 times a year but until last month my meter had never been read and suppply has been connected for well over a year!

they even rang me to ask if the meter reader could ring me to get directions to my estate when he was doing his rounds!

if you feel you are getting too many estimated bills you can always ring or email the esb and request that they stick to their agreed 4 readings a year as this is after all what part of the money they get goes towards!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I cant understand why people cant submit there exact reading every 2 months Online or by telephone. It takes less time then typing about it on boards.

This will ensure the bill will match the amount you actually used. It can either be done before the bill issue date (printed on the top of the bill, then add 60 days for next bill date) I would normally do it 2 days before this date.

OR:

if you receive an estimated bill you can correct the meter reading, again online or telephone, and you will receive a 'corrected' bill with the actual amount owed.

Simple has pie,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, use the same method for Bord Gáis

And Esb cant just increase the rate without permission and notification

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Just checked. there havent been any estimated bills for a while.

not only that, but the total number of people in the building has risen to 6, who are having the same issue!

Well the last price change was valid from November 1st 2007 and approved by the CER who controls everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

ya my bill went from 90 to 850.. i live wit friends nd the guy who had it in his name said no way he was payin 100 euro a month for esb (4 in house) so we didnt pay..

still waiting for my cummopons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It works boths ways, my last bill was a 70 euro credit, so far out were the estimates!

Mike.

Has it been consistently at €90? Check old bills to see if the reading was estimated till now where its corrected, would take a serious amount to jump that high. Is that roughly 5500 units? to use that in a two month period for 4 people is a bit strange i would think. Does your immersion not turn off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

we hav no imersion, fek all anythin except an xbox, a laptop nd a pc and 2 tvs..

it makes no sense at all cause it certainly didnt feel like we were using much electricity nevermind a bill 8 times higher than any i've had in 3 years of college.

are esb harsh in their punishment of not paying?

Advertisement