Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying used car no road tax

Options
  • 08-05-2008 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

When i've bought used cars before from a dealer they were always taxed but i'm looking at one now at a dealers where the tax has expired. It'll cost about €400, I'm wondering if they should include that as part of the sale price, what do you think? I was thinking of asking them to tax it or knock it off the sales price...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Haggle like hell for it...........If ya don't ask, ya won't get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

. actually wouldn't they have to tax it before i can get a test drive?? :confused:

(thanks for previous replies)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

PDelux wrote: »
    . actually wouldn't they have to tax it before i can get a test drive?? :confused:

(thanks for previous replies)

Can they put trade plates on it instead?

As Eoin Says - They'll pop some trade plates on................anyways, seperate to the road tax discount, make sure you get the car like this -

1. At the lowest possible price you want it
    2. With a full 12 months unlimited milage warranty
    3. With what i call, Matts, flaps and a full tank - mudflaps, carpet matts in all 4 footwells and a full tank of juice on collection.

and your road tax.........

Haggle like its going outta fashion! ;-)

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd imagine the dealer is under no obligation to give you a discount on the car because it has no current motor tax. However they may have a promotion on where 12 months road tax is included in order to push sales.

No harm in trying but I would not hold my breath to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It depends on the value of the car whether or not you could squeeze 12 months tax out for the deal. Failing getting 12 months, then get 6 months, or as a last resort 3 months.
    I would definitely look for the full tank of fuel though.
    Best of luck with the new car.

It depends on the value of the car whether or not you could squeeze 12 months tax out for the deal. Failing getting 12 months, then get 6 months, or as a last resort 3 months.
    I would definitely look for the full tank of fuel though.
    Best of luck with the new car.

Depending on the size of the car, a full tank of fuel could represent a saving of no more than €50 or so. That wouldn't really make or break the deal for me.

Do garages usually put the car in their name when they get a trade in, or do they just leave it in the previous owner's name until sold again? I know I've gotten tax and NCT reminders weeks after selling previous cars. If this is the case, then can they even tax it?

I would be slightly happier if I got a discount if it wasn't taxed, but I don't like the 2-3 wait after buying it till I can tax it myself.

Anyway PDelux - if it isn't taxed, then definitely use it as a bargaining chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

Wasn't expecting so many replies - thanks.

I've done a bit of research on the car and it may be affected by a recall. Obviously I will ask the dealer about it but i need to check the "Vehicle ID" to see if it is affected. Where can I find that?

Get the Chassis no and ring the main dealer who supplied it when it was spankers new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

eoin_s wrote: »
    Depending on the size of the car, a full tank of fuel could represent a saving of no more than €50 or so. That wouldn't really make or break the deal for me.

Do garages usually put the car in their name when they get a trade in, or do they just leave it in the previous owner's name until sold again?
    chip.

What I meant was I would take the full tank of fuel as a "given", i.e. a definite.

Dealers normally don't put cars in their name. But they could still tax them. A friend of mine is in the trade & he was able to tax cars not in his own name. Just showed the Trade insurance policy at the counter in tax office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do garages usually put the car in their name when they get a trade in, or do they just leave it in the previous owner's name until sold again?
    They are supposed to but many don't bother. The guy selling to the garage should make sure the docs are completed and forwarded to Shannon. Remember that the previous owner would remain liable for parking tickets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

eoin_s wrote: »
    Do garages usually put the car in their name when they get a trade in, or do they just leave it in the previous owner's name until sold again? I know I've gotten tax and NCT reminders weeks after selling previous cars. If this is the case, then can they even tax it?

I think dealers fill in some sort of trader's seriel number on the change of ownership section of the VLC which means they are not counted as a registered owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They become the registered owner for the purpose of parking fines etc, just that they don't increase the number of previous owners.

Ah right, so it's probably just a case that some don't bother doing this. I know that when I've applied to my local co co for tax, I've gotten it back within a couple of days, so if they can do this also, then I would definitely ask that they do this for at least the 3 month minimum. It's not even the money for me, just the inconvenience of getting stopped for it while you wait for the change of ownership etc to come through.

Advertisement