Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent change in approach at Dublin Airport?

• 08-05-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

I'll start by saying I'm probably talking nonsense, and probably in the wrong forum.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows has there been any recent change in approaches to Dublin. I'm living in Donnycarney, about two weeks ago was out for a walk on sunday, gf pointed out a plane overhead coming in to land which seemed a lot lower than usual. Noticed a few more that day,and since. Kind of on a line Clontarf-Donnycarney-Santry.
    There also seems to be a lot more noise than there was until recently, to the point where a couple of planes went over about 12.30 last night keeping me awake.

I'm wondering is it just a case that now that I have it on the brain I'm noticing it more, or has something actually changed recently.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 JustaJourno

Its to do with the active runways in Dublin... wind direction determines what runway they use at the airport (either the East/West [10/28] runway or North/South [16/34]). However, at the moment the East/West runway is closed between 11pm and 5am so the only option is to use the North/South runway which is why the aircraft are flying over your town more than often.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

However, at the moment the East/West runway is closed between 11pm and 5am so the only option is to use the North/South runway which is why the aircraft are flying over your town more than often.

Hope that helps :)

Anybody know why 28/10 is closed at night?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

From the DAA website:
    Dublin Airport Notice
    Due to essential maintenance work on the main runway at Dublin Airport, Runway 10/28 will be withdrawn from service from 23.00 to 05.00hrs for a period of nine weeks commencing Monday 7th April.

In facilitating this essential maintenance work, Runway 16/34 will be in operation during this time which may result in increased aircraft noise levels in the Santry, Beaumont, Artane, Clontarf, surrounding areas and some North County Dublin residential locations. In certain weather conditions areas in South County Dublin (Dun Laoghaire, Rathdown and surrounding areas) may also experience a slight increase in aircraft noise levels.

This essential maintenance work is critical to the ongoing safe operation of the Airport and is being carried out in accordance with international standards in aviation safety.

Dublin Airport regrets any inconvenience caused as a result of this essential work.

Further information please contact freephone: 1 800 200 034

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I remember about 10 years ago when 10/28 was closed for about a week. It was around the time when Ireland was hosting the EU presidency or something similar. I used to live in Dun Laoghaire and they were regularly making preparations to land above us on approach to 16 during the day.

I never see that anymore. I love it when 34 is open. Love the view of them coming in to land. How often is 16 used if ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Ah great, thanks guys. Good to know I'm not going mad.
    Well, I probably am, but at least not in relation to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

ian_m wrote: »
    I remember about 10 years ago when 10/28 was closed for about a week. It was around the time when Ireland was hosting the EU presidency or something similar. I used to live in Dun Laoghaire and they were regularly making preparations to land above us on approach to 16 during the day.

I never see that anymore. I love it when 34 is open. Love the view of them coming in to land. How often is 16 used if ever?

When the wind is coming from 160:cool:

Which is not too often ian:D

Advertisement