Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I just Switch the chip?

Options
  • 08-05-2008 1:16pm

How do folks..Ive a dell dimension e520, bought around feb last year, with an e6600 chip and 2 gig ram..Im not sure what motherboard is in it, but would it be possible to just change out the chip for a q6600?..
    Any advice, and in particular a 'yes, no problem, just change it', would be greatly appreciated..
    p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

yes, no problem, just change it
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

dont really see a problem unless the motherboard doesnt support quad core chips.

can you find out what motherboard it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Shouldn't be a problem. I've a Dimension e520 bought last year as well and it has an Intel G965 chipset in it. This should support a q6600 as it is basically two e6600 glued together. I've a q6600 being delivered next week, will test it and let you know if you like.
    CQD wrote: »
    How do folks..Ive a dell dimension e520, bought around feb last year, with an e6600 chip and 2 gig ram..Im not sure what motherboard is in it, but would it be possible to just change out the chip for a q6600?..
    Any advice, and in particular a 'yes, no problem, just change it', would be greatly appreciated..
    p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Motherboard may need a bios flash, 965 is an old chipset. Not all 965 mobo's support quads. Google the mobo model no.

Advertisement