Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Seafarer at the Abbey - opinions?

Options
  • 08-05-2008 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Thinking of getting tickets to see the Seafarer in the Abbey. Anyone heard any reviews of it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

Yeah go and see it. McPherson is one of only 3 or 4 young irish playwrights out there, so go and see what he's doing.

I was expecting a little bit more, if you take away the cursing and the easy laughs, I didn't feel there was much substance to it, but it's enjoyable while it lasts.

And the Abbey since its refurbishment is really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Aquitaine

Went to see it last night and loved it. its definitely worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Battlejuice

Absolutely fantastic play!
    I can't speak highly enough about this piece. From the very start I was sucked in by the performance, the characters, the setting and the dialogue. I went through every emotion watching this and I don’t remember ever being so convinced by the characters on stage.
    The plot was excellent and very refreshing and the standing ovation at the end says it all.
    I went in with very little expectation however but I can safely say that it's performances like this that makes going to the Theatre worth it.
    I will definitely be going again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

It just got loads of Tony Award nominations anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

It definitely sounds as if this will be the play of the year. I'd book quickly if I were you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭oclugg

Anyone know why did the author took over rehearsals at the last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

I missed 'The Seafarer' but I'll be going to see 'The Weir' in July. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

oclugg wrote: »
    Anyone know why did the author took over rehearsals at the last week?

Is there serious gossip here? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Faro

Saw the Seafarer - some of the best acting I had seen in Dublin in a long time. Then saw the Weir - another great play and more great acting. Support our actors. We are so lucky to have such great theatre on our doorsteps. BTW, am not an actor nor have any connections in the profession but remember having to go to London for good theatre in the seventies - now it is better here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

saw the weir last night. really enjoyed it, moreso for the acting than the storyline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 sam_boooko

I've seen The Weir, and could not recommend it. I thought the acting was quite poor, (very wooden). The story is very light and somewhat cliched. Most of the laughs were from cursing which is plain lazy. Overall, I was bored at the end and a little insulted that I had been duped by some very inaccurate reviews. We may no have a huge array of new talent in this area, but work like this should not get this hype. I've seen vastly superior amateur works. In the end I managed to get consession tickets, but if I'd paid full whack, I would've been well pi**ed off!

Advertisement